Lightning

A couple questions about lowering, t-bars, and racing....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A couple questions about lowering, t-bars, and racing....

Here's a run-down of what I currently have on the Lightning... The front end is all stock except for the shocks. I have JLP shackles set to the middle holes (approximately 3"), JLP traction bars and a panhard bar. I know the panhard bar isn't going to affect lowering. My questions are these...

- Would I be able to lower my rear end a little more and still be able to run the JLP t-bars? I'm not sure how far forward the front mounts would move if I lowered it another couple inches....

- What would be a good lowering solution that wouldn't affect my ability to race the truck? I'd like to lower it a little more in the front and back but don't want to sacrifice raceability.

Is there anyone out there that has lowered their L's after they already had some long bars installed? I'd also like to hear from the guys that are lowered and running in the 10's.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:00 AM
i did drop spindles in the front and front hangers / drop shackles in the rear and it drives like a cadillac and on 22 in rims and stock shocks.. Going this route you might have some issues with clearing your front racing rims as they say you need to have 18 in rims to make it work and some people have to cut down the ball joint bolt to clear the stock rim. i would guess lower control arms would do about the same. The rear is a bit of a pain because you have to remove the bed and drill out the rivets but the ride is good and i do not think you would have issues with the slicks clearing. i would think the mount points will need to be moved forward and i think some guys have issues with the long bars hitting the exhaust after the drop. I think JJ is designing shorter ones for dropped trucks.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by halflife
i did drop spindles in the front and front hangers / drop shackles in the rear and it drives like a cadillac and on 22 in rims and stock shocks.. Going this route you might have some issues with clearing your front racing rims as they say you need to have 18 in rims to make it work and some people have to cut down the ball joint bolt to clear the stock rim. i would guess lower control arms would do about the same. The rear is a bit of a pain because you have to remove the bed and drill out the rivets but the ride is good and i do not think you would have issues with the slicks clearing. i would think the mount points will need to be moved forward and i think some guys have issues with the long bars hitting the exhaust after the drop. I think JJ is designing shorter ones for dropped trucks.
Thanks for the input. But I'm not looking to slam my truck, just lower it a little. Maybe some springs in the front and some different leafs/shackles in the rear. Nothing as extreme as what you described.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 AM
i hear you. if you do the front hangers for the rear you will have alot of adjustability. They have 2 drop points, plus you will have 2 or 3 with your shackles so you could really have like 5 different settings.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:03 PM

I may try that. For now I'm gonna drop the shackles to the last setting and remove the front coil spring isolators and see where that puts me. If that's still not where I want to be then I'll try something else.

Anyone else have any input???

Quick Reply: A couple questions about lowering, t-bars, and racing....