Lightning

Whipple Superchargers impress me!! Jim@JDM

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim@JDM
We got the chance to test the old style whipple charger on Vinnie's truck over a year ago. We took Vinnies KB off at a HP rating of 640 RWHP strapped on the Whipple and made 712 to the tires. The Result was a new fastest non nitrous Gen 2 1/4 mile pass (10.33@131)at that time. We had to send the blower back to its rightful owner and wait untill the new whipple case came out.

Now that a year has gone by, and the new cases have been out some time we have been putting them through their paces all season long. Most of you know I am the sponsor of the Tuff truck class in Fun Ford Weekend and that I attend every event. There are trucks from all over the country that run in these events. So i get to see every type of combination out there. Bar None the Whipple trucks are the fastest. The tuff truck champion Don Justus runs a whipple on his truck. He has over 300 1/4 passes (from apr 06-sept06), having to hot lap the truck numerous times, and ran the number every time. That is what impresses me the most. It has been hotlapped in 100+ degree heat and we are not talking 1 hot lap pass, we are talking 2,3,4 or more times in a day! This is because he runs 2 classes. The supercharger has not been off the truck since we installed it and just before JDM day we dynoed it at 708 to the tires no nitrous. While on a 75 shot it made 792 to the tires and just under 1000 Ft lbs torque!

We have sold nearly 100 of these units to our customers and have had no failures. There was a couple that had scratched coating on their rotors from case flex before the nose cone supports. Dustin at Whipple instantly responded to this issue and handled it with the design of the support brace.

I dont get the chance to to get up here and post much anymore because Im either on the road or back in the shop trying to catch up from being on the road. I just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the Whipple Family for making the JDM customers and their trucks the fastest in the world.

Fastest Whipple Customers

Mike Redden 9.74@138.76
Don Justus 9.96@137
Jeff Bruso 10.19@132
Fast Gator 10.22@131.5
Leonard Watosn 10.23@132
Vinnie Telesco 10.33@129.8

The list goes on....

We have fast KB customers that run the same exact engine and combo but the whipple trucks are always .2-.3 tenths or more, faster!

There are only two aftermarket Superchargers companys out there that I will use at JDM that is the Magnum Powers which does an awesome Job for what it was designed for. And of course Whipples for our big HP numbers and ET's. Both of these superchargers have taken everything we have thrown at them and came back smiling.

Weather permitting we are going for a 9 second pass on Leonard's truck this week...JDM Aluminum motor and Whipple Supercharger...NO NITROUS!

Jim@JDM

jim, let me start by saying that i apreciate what you are doing for the lightning community. i think you are a top shelf guy with a top shelf bussiness.

i was racing with you out a fontana this last october,,,,im the guy with the red whipple charged lightning. we had three 2.6 kb trucks out there as well.

when dante ran his 10.5 passess, im not sure you realise what that actually meant. you told me yourself that day that the stang you were driving runs 3 to 4 tenths quicker at other tracks. well that ffw weekend was the very best track and conditions we ever see.

me calling you out to a race would really do no good, since i have a whipple.

but i can call you out to california with one of your lightngs and see how well you do in these conditions. i would even goes as far to say if you come out to lacr and run a 10.7 in any of your trucks (or customers) with out nitrous. i will pay for your fuel here and back.

i think i can prolly get a few 2.6 kb trucks to come also

the 2.6 kb has had some problems,,,thats for sure,,,,jim bell is not customer orientated dream boat like some would say he is either,,,, in fact he might just be a azzhole

but thanks to dante and his band of warriors he might just have a very good product now

it would be fun to see how things shake down

Old 11-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by lightninquick
jim, let me start by saying that i apreciate what you are doing for the lightning community. i think you are a top shelf guy with a top shelf bussiness.

i was racing with you out a fontana this last october,,,,im the guy with the red whipple charged lightning. we had three 2.6 kb trucks out there as well.

when dante ran his 10.5 passess, im not sure you realise what that actually meant. you told me yourself that day that the stang you were driving runs 3 to 4 tenths quicker at other tracks. well that ffw weekend was the very best track and conditions we ever see.

but i can call you out to california with one of your lightngs and see how well you do in these conditions. i would even goes as far to say if you come out to lacr and run a 10.7 in any of your trucks (or customers) with out nitrous. i will pay for your fuel here and back.

the 2.6 kb has had some problems,,,thats for sure,,,,jim bell is not customer orientated dream boat like some would say he is either,,,, in fact he might just be a azzhole

but thanks to dante and his band of warriors he might just have a very good product now

Very nice post. You are a man of great words,ha,ha,ha. LACR is a tough track for sure.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Damn I knew I should not have bought that used MP blower that was the best thing since sliced bread about a year ago!

Old 11-27-2006, 11:05 PM

It would be real interesting to see our East coast trucks compete at altitude for sure. However, it would also be eye opening for the high altitude guys to run at our tracks, where hooking up the additional power seems to be the biggest issue.
Jim

Old 11-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Us Turbo Guys don't argue about this stuff but atleast this makes for good reading!

Old 11-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by pitstain
you got me there Vinnie.... but theres plenty of them left that dont go this route.....
Your probably right.. so I will let you start the list of tuners that have more than two 9 sec daily driver Lightnings... daily drivers....

Old 11-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by E-luzion
Your probably right.. so I will let you start the list of tuners that have more than two 9 sec daily driver Lightnings... daily drivers....
If things pan out we may have another next year.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by E-luzion
I really don't care how many 9sec daily drivers a tuner has.....I would like you to start a list of users on this board who have been banned due to silly vendor threads.......

Old 11-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by pitstain
I really don't care how many 9sec daily drivers a tuner has.....I would like you to start a list of users on this board who have been banned due to silly vendor threads.......
Is this a vendor thread or an accomplishment thread.... interesting...

Old 11-28-2006, 01:23 PM
it's a threadmonster.....RUUUNNN...ayyyeeeeeee

Old 11-28-2006, 01:59 PM

well? what ya think? you game?

Old 11-28-2006, 09:26 PM
well? what ya think? you game?
Im in. I ran a 10.8 with my old KB now i have the 2.6 lets see what she"ll do.!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor
Jim,

I will race Adam again, with his 700HP 2.6. We can meet half way.
That is for the Mustangs .

For the Lightning trucks I am sure you can find someone around my area with a 2.6 Lightning, that is willing to race me with my 2.3 Whipple.

Jim@JDM

Lightningquick,

this is what I originally posted, and the track in California I ran 2 tenths slower than i do anywhere else. We'll total up the cost from California and back the only two rules I want 1) the trucks weigh identical and 2) only blower no nitrous. Since this post is about superchargers it will be Whipple vs. KB.

732-780-0770

Contact me when you can so we can get this show on the road or in this case the track!

Jim@JDM

Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Lightningquick,

this is what I originally posted, and the track in California I ran 2 tenths slower than i do anywhere else. We'll total up the cost from California and back the only two rules I want 1) the trucks weigh identical and 2) only blower no nitrous. Since this post is about superchargers it will be Whipple vs. KB.

732-780-0770

Contact me when you can so we can get this show on the road or in this case the track!

Jim@JDM

Old 11-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Well NOW it gets interesting!

Quick Reply: Whipple Superchargers impress me!! Jim@JDM