Lightning

Do you have Chrome wheels on your L? Questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have Chrome wheels on your L? Questions!!

Looking at pics of various trucks, I have a strong urge pushing me towards buying a set of 22's for my Lightning.

The ones I eally like the the chrome Eagle 025's as seen on Odins Wratch and a couple of other trucks here.

As with everything for my L, it will have to be imported, and If I make a mistake It will be costly.

So to my questions... We don't really have many chrome wheels here in the UK. So I know nothing about them. I need to know what they are really like.

We have cold winters with salt and snow. Based on what I have been told, I will need to keep them off the truck for the winter months.

How well does chrome stand up to wear and tear? Does it corrode easily? I am told that salt will corrode it within days. If you do kerb it, is it a thin coating that lifts easily? Or do they lay the chrome on quite quick? Easy to clean? Brake dust damages it real easy?

Also American Eagle Wheels.. Good brand? Good wheels?

As you can tell by my questions. I know nothing of how easy chrome wheels are to live with. (and I do drive my Lightning every day)

Opinions please!

Thanks in advance

...Add

Old 10-28-2005, 09:24 AM
I have 22’’ chrome. You definitely have to care for your wheels much more when they are chrome or polished. You do not want to leave them on for the winter as the salt will cause the chrome to peal and flake. If you curb your rim it is pretty much done, you will have to live with the scratch or get a new one. I guess you could sand out the scratch but then you would have to send the rim out to get re-chromed. I wash my rims twice as much as I was my truck. As soon as it gets a little brake dust on them I rinse them off. I use simple green to clean them and it works great. I also use mothers chrome polish every few weeks and put a coat of wheel wax on them. The wheel wax really helps in keeping them clean and makes cleaning them a breeze. It all depends on how good you take care of you stuff. If you are neurotic like myself and wash your dirty car in the rain, you will be fine. If you let you truck go sometimes, eventually the chrome will get pitted or peal.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Very nice halflife!!!!

Old 10-28-2005, 04:30 PM
OMG your car makes me moist lol

Old 10-30-2005, 02:52 AM
Wheels

Hi MadAdd

Sounds like your UK based ?
If so where matey as I am down in Surrey near London just off M3-M25
(Go that is the Road To Hell)

I purchased a set of American Racing 7 spoke 20" with 40 profile Goodyear tyres (these are cheaper than the 18" tyres as they fit other more popular vehicles in the UK) and there as near a damm it the same rolling circumference as stock - a bit heavier though so will make some suspension mods later next year.

Have only done about 200 miles on them but now off road for winter to install uprated built motor.

If your local or going to a meet give me a shout on here.

Brought my wheels from guy in Fleet, Hampshire but you fit to truck yourself.

Regards Ricki

Winner Shakespeare County Raceway - ACW Nationals 2005 Fastest Street EFi Class

Old 10-30-2005, 03:53 AM
I'm also in the UK and have just bought a red 2000 L. Wouldn't mind some discussion amongst us "Brits"on where to get parts, advice over wheels, tyres etc (my local tyre shop hasn't even got the standard 295x45x18's listed!)

Just ordered drop spindles and a rear hanger/shackle kit from Summit in the US so will let you know how that turns out when it eventually turns up.

Keep in touch (I'm in Sussex BTW)

Paul

Old 10-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Greetings

Hi Paul

I am not far from Guildford and attend many local meetings but will not have truck on road this side of the new year.

I will be at the Surrey Muscle club meet which is just off the M25 at Leatherhead junction tonight which starts about 18:30hrs GMT
Meet is held at The Star pub on the Chessington Road about 2 mile from motorway, you would be very welcome to join us.

My wheels came from Northants Wheels & Tyres, Avondale Road, Fleet, Hampshire. Very helpfull and also has stock of standard tyres.

I have three good condition wheels for a 2000 model truck but tyres are a little worn - blame the addition of the line loc and a heavy right foot.

Blown motor hence no truck, stripped out engine & trans ready for built motor and beefed up trans plus a few more mods.
looking for in excess of 550 RWHP so should be fun next season.

E-mail Rickif150@aol.com maybe swap a few ideas.
have a few spare items for sale too.

What color and condition was the truck as I sold my 2000 one two years ago to some guy in Sussex / Hants Portsmouth area.
Was a good truck but the new one was much better - untill the rods parted company with the crank

Old 10-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Ricki F-150
Hi MadAdd

Sounds like your UK based ?
If so where matey as I am down in Surrey near London just off M3-M25
(Go that is the Road To Hell)

I purchased a set of American Racing 7 spoke 20" with 40 profile Goodyear tyres (these are cheaper than the 18" tyres as they fit other more popular vehicles in the UK) and there as near a damm it the same rolling circumference as stock - a bit heavier though so will make some suspension mods later next year.

Have only done about 200 miles on them but now off road for winter to install uprated built motor.

If your local or going to a meet give me a shout on here.

Brought my wheels from guy in Fleet, Hampshire but you fit to truck yourself.

Regards Ricki

Winner Shakespeare County Raceway - ACW Nationals 2005 Fastest Street EFi Class
Yes, I am near Preston. So not exactly local to you!

There are quite a few L's up here. We have Bauer Millet in Manchester who I spose is one of the more established American car dealers in the country.

IF theres a meet, I'll have to see where it is, and If I can afford the fuel!!

...Add

Old 10-30-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by silv
I'm also in the UK and have just bought a red 2000 L. Wouldn't mind some discussion amongst us "Brits"on where to get parts, advice over wheels, tyres etc (my local tyre shop hasn't even got the standard 295x45x18's listed!)

Just ordered drop spindles and a rear hanger/shackle kit from Summit in the US so will let you know how that turns out when it eventually turns up.

Keep in touch (I'm in Sussex BTW)

Paul
It seems that the UK parts prices are a bit horrific. Just bought a new passenger drop glass and entire mirror assembly for 511 squids! That hurt! Next time, I'll import it myself.

As for wheels, I have found a US supplier of American Eagle 025's in a 22inch at $900 (for 4) which is very reasonable. I am waiting for a firm quote on shipping, but think I can get them into the UK via the water for about £300. Unsure of duty, but I would expect about 15%. Then the VAT (which I can get back anyway).

If I can pull this off, then £212 each isnt bad for chromed 22inch wheels!!

If importing, be aware that they WILL get you for duty unless you are lucky. I bought some bulbs 2 weeks ago. Cost $225 I seem to recall. Had a £40 bill from customs & excise accompanying them when they finally arived.

As it happens, I am in Florida in 3 weeks. I am bringing rear lowering shackles, programmer, 4lb pulley and an induction kit back in my suit case

Cheers,

...Add

Old 10-30-2005, 11:17 AM
If you are going 22's another thing you might want to consider is upgrading brakes because you lose quite a bit of stopping power. Other things to consider is you loss of ride quality and traction (if you are worried about performance).

Great looking truck halflife, those Foose rims?

Old 10-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi Guys

A set of four 20" inc 40 profile tyres was about £1250 plus the bit for HMG
Included tyre fitting, bolts and 4 lock bolts.

After engine mods finished brakes will be done Willwood maybe depends on cost may look about this site soon for ideas & info.

Got my first L in 2000 from Bauer Millett

Did any of you make the Mopars at Santa Pod I was one of four red ones to make the weekend, Albert took his back to Brum with a blown block.

You may also know George with the ACI Red L he makes a lot of runs and his best was 12.8 on streets but I will be kicking his butt next season with a little help from New Jersey.
Watch for my tail lights at the end George me ole mucker.................

Old 10-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by CoCoCountyLbolt
If you are going 22's another thing you might want to consider is upgrading brakes because you lose quite a bit of stopping power. Other things to consider is you loss of ride quality and traction (if you are worried about performance).

Great looking truck halflife, those Foose rims?
I have not yet looked at brakes, but am well aware that the standard ones are a bit weak. What is the recommended brake upgrade for an L?

If I change to 22's and use 285/30 22's, that will give me a 1% difference in tyre circumference. Admittadly I will have reduced the contact area by 1 cm per tyre. But why such a major loss in stopping power or traction when you have only lost 3% of your contact area with the road?

As for ride quality. How much difference does it make? Does it ruin the ride? Or just harden it out? (these things are just so soft anyway)

Cheers

...Add

Old 10-31-2005, 01:45 AM
Check out Tim's site:
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/...ght/weight.htm

Look around the site and read about brakes too, his site is very helpful.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:02 AM
Originally Posted by CoCoCountyLbolt
Check out Tim's site:
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/...ght/weight.htm

Look around the site and read about brakes too, his site is very helpful.
Read the article on tyre sizes. It seems from here that many L owners try and keep sizing similar to the factor rolling circumference. The example in that article increase from 94.2inches circ to 102.4 circ (Thats nearly a 10% increase).

This increase could easily account for many of the downsides they mention. Chaging a L to 295/30 22's is only a 1% increase over stock. (Whilst loosing 10mm of contact patch per tyre). Maybe fuel economy would increase? Braking and acceleration may change - But is this 1% noticeable?

Off to read up on brakes now..

...Add

Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 PM
My 22's (I love em'):

Quick Reply: Do you have Chrome wheels on your L? Questions!!