Lightning

Eaton Vs Magnum Dyno 6 29 05

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by l-menace
IF the valve spring is allowing the valve to open and LEAK.

WHEN IS THIS HAPPENING?

Intake stroke?
Compression Stroke?
Power Stroke?
Exhaust Stroke?

It wouldn't be during the power stroke, or the exhaust stroke.

Possibly during the end of the intake stroke and beginning of the power stroke? I don't know.

Can someone explain this to me? I'm thinking the compression in the combustion chamber is far greater than and pressure the MP could put out. the MP would have to overcome the Spring and the cylinder compression, right?
?
Compression stroke until the cylinder pressure exceeds equilibrium with the pressure behind the intake valve and exhaust-intake after the pressure in the cylinder drops below equlibrium behind the intake valve.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:46 PM
I have been following this thread with interest due to being on the cusp of either having my eaton ported or going with the MP. I am running a 4# lower and stock upper with SCT tune. Only other mods are catback and CAI. I am not looking to go over 450 hp and want to remain "safe" because this is my only transportation. I would like to keep boost at no higher than 16. If I swap the eaton for the MP, what kind of boost level will I be looking at? I'm trying to determine if the MP would be worth it to me for my conservative setup. If I keep boost at or below 16 I should have no valve float issues, but will performance be worth the increase in cost of the MP over porting.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:23 PM
SORRY BUT I OWE IT TO THE COMMUNITY TO TELL THE TRUTH!![/QUOTE]Damn straight Rob

Old 07-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, let me jump back into this thread with a few comments and replies....

Mark said:

You need to remember how the MP was sold to us though. This was the stock block guys perfect solution. With the lower outlet temps, you could run more boost on a stock block safely.
This is very true, and this is something I have not agreed with since day one. I told Charles right off the bat, that I felt it was a bad idea to pitch this blower to people running stock motors. Since it was his product, and that's how he wanted it marketed, I made my sales pitch for them a little different. I told people that if they still had the stock blower, that the MP was a good choice for those looking to upgrade, and that as they did more mods to their truck and eventually built the motor, that the MP could grow with the changes. I still feel this to be true. However, the blower was being promoted as making more power than a ported Eaton, and the proof I was seeing on stock trucks, just didn't back that up.

As time went on, the sales pitch changed to "you need to spin it hard to make power", which then sent people into the land of needing injectors, pumps, and MAFs. It also pushed "stock" trucks into the hp range of needing a built motor. The MP was now going away from it's original promoted market.

tallimeca wrote:

From what I can gather, these heads were not designed to handle 20lbs of boost. So whether it's a Magnum, Kenne Bell, Whipple, CSC, Turbo.....on stock heads we are now finding out what the stock heads are capable of. So to point fingers at any of these manufactureres is a mistake. We should take this as a lesson learned.
This is now the topic at hand for some. While Charles' valve spring test is interesting, we can't say for sure it's the "problem" until it's tested on a problem truck. Now as mentioned, until now, people really didn't run 20+ psi on stock heads. I will admit, that I have tuned some stock headed KB trucks making about 20 psi, and they have had similar issues as Robs. But again, it's all speculation until it's tried.

Mark again wrote:

Also remember that we are concentrating on Rob's situation here, but many others with lower boost levels are having problems. I seen 17.5 psi max on my MP on my 2003 L. 8000 miles total on the vehicle. No nitrous or anything that demanding done previous to the vehicle. I really don't think springs were my issue, but I gained nothing.
This is a much bigger issue than Rob's truck. MANY people have purchased the MP with stock motored trucks. They had ported Eatons, and made good power, averaging in the 415-435 range. Just looking for about 20 more HP, these people bought the MPs. And almost every one of these people were left $1700 poorer and with either the same, or LESS hp than they had before. THIS is the big problem, much more so than Rob's issues. These trucks are not near 20 psi.

A local guy with aftermarket heads and cams lost a bit of HP going from eaton with a 5lb lower, 2lb upper to a MP with 8lb lower and 2.7" upper. Was springs his problem?
This is another issue. While I have had built motor/heads/cams trucks that HAVE gained good power with an MP over the ported Eaton, I have had many more trucks of the same setup NOT gain power. The one truck in particular that Mark is referring to above, actually made more HP with is built truck with his ported Eaton at less boost, than with the MP at more boost. Can't blame these built trucks on valve springs.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(split into two posts because of text limit)

Denny wrote:

If Rob is getting a bunch of jackasses sending him crap e-mails or pm's then that is bull****. What is it now like 3-4 months and 20+ dynos runs by Rob and Sal to equate all the information that has been posted. I would think this kind of extensive testing should be welcomed by anyone and not criticized. It's not like Rob is spouting crap and has worked with MP the best he could up until this point. For any of you racers consider how Rob has lost his whole Spring race season because of all these set-backs and has yet to fully enjoy his truck that he has dumped tons of money and time into. Rob was the one approached to use and promote the MP and he tried his best to do that. At the end of the day it just didn't work out for his application as he said. End of story and leave the other bull**** at the door.
That's a great post. The problem is that so many people are brainwashed into thinking that every post by someone not using "thier" vendor of choice must have some alterior negative motive to it. Many people just can't see that there are those of us out there just doing good old real world testing and sharing honest, legit info.

Casey02L wrote:

I agree; in fact mine slowed down a few tenths and some MPH at the track on more boost with a MP
That's dead on. Almost all the MP trucks I've done where the dyno graphs were like Rob's (less power down low, more power up top), actually ran either the same ET or SLOWER with the MP, and it's better hp over 5k.

That's it for now. I wanted to reply to some of these posts because I felt this thread was kind of going off on a wild tanget of speculation and misinformation.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:56 PM
READY FOR NITROUS TESTING SIR : o )

Old 07-03-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm not saying anything bad about Vinny, but a lot of people have secrets to keep their trucks fast, He could have run 10's on a stock block and cams, but a lot of others out there will tell you they never had the valve covers off when they have had ALOT of work done to their engine. So I stopped comparing my results to other trucks a LONG time ago.

Quote:
If Charles is still willing to work with us, and gets us the tools

IF I were him ...
Rob, Several weeks ago when I first discovered how weak the valve spring were I told you and Sal I would design some tools to make the job of upgrading the valve springs easy and provide them to Sal, well I still plan on doing that. Hopefully that can happen within the next couple of weeks.

Charles

Old 07-03-2005, 09:26 PM
has anyone had the cajones to port the MP case yet? just curious to see if there would be any benefit to doing that.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by ZorPrime
has anyone had the cajones to port the MP case yet? just curious to see if there would be any benefit to doing that.
  1. NO
  2. NO
  3. NO
  4. NO
  5. NO
  6. NO AGAIN
  7. IF IT NEEDED TO BE PORTED ANY FURTHER IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE THAT WAY
  8. NO
  9. NO
  10. NO
  11. NO
  12. LAST TIME NO

Old 07-03-2005, 10:55 PM
IF the valve spring is allowing the valve to open and LEAK.

WHEN IS THIS HAPPENING?

Intake stroke?
Compression Stroke?
Power Stroke?
Exhaust Stroke?

It wouldn't be during the power stroke, or the exhaust stroke.

Possibly during the end of the intake stroke and beginning of the compression stroke? I don't know.

Can someone explain this to me? I'm thinking the compression in the combustion chamber is far greater than and pressure the MP could put out. the MP would have to overcome the Spring and the cylinder compression, right?

Random thoughts, anyone have an answer?

Rob, how much did you pay for that MP blower? Rumor is that it is the one that JLP used in testing. Is that true?

I-Menace,

I have a theory regarding this and it goes this way. There are two possible times within the 4 cycles where there is a possibility of boost pressure interfering with proper valve action.

1.) At the end of the intake stroke when the valve spring is returning the intake valve to the seat boost pressure imposes a force against the valve head such that it counteracts the spring’s tension and in extreme cases can delay valve closure. If the valve is closing late, then as the piston is coming up on the compression stroke, the incoming charge air could be forced back out the intake valve into the intake manifold before the valve finely closes lowering the engine’s volumetric efficiency causing boost pressure to increase and since the engine did not inhale a full charge of air it will produce less power. The intake valve closing late in this case increases as boost pressure increases and it could be happening even with stock supercharger being overdriven, no one really knows for sure at this point. The effect of this will also be more noticeable the faster the engine is turning as it takes more spring pressure to close the valve at 5,000 rpm then at 2,000 rpm for instance. It should also be noted that Hydrodynamic Finite Element Analysis computer modeling shows the Mag’s volumetric efficiency increases with RPM and peaks around 20,000 rpm or a little above.
2.) During the exhaust cycle cylinder pressure is reduced to zero and in some cases can even become negative. During this cycle boost pressure greater then about 20 psi can open the intake valve and route the incoming air directly to the exhaust port thereby effectively bypassing the engine. This effect will not occur until boost pressure exceeds “valve opening pressure” that has been documented and validated to be 18-20 psi per the extended lab work “Master of Pain” reported on in an earlier post, the testing done by MOP surpasses my own testing at this point, thanks MOP!

Charles

Old 07-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Magnum Powers
Rob, Several weeks ago when I first discovered how weak the valve spring were I told you and Sal I would design some tools to make the job of upgrading the valve springs easy and provide them to Sal, well I still plan on doing that. Hopefully that can happen within the next couple of weeks.

Charles
Yes you did, and I would love nothing more but to put those springs in, mount that bad boy back on, and see if our prayers are answered

Happy 4th Charles and Everyone
WOO HOO it's like a frigging war ship over here
OR SOMETHING
in my neighborhood right about now

Old 07-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Hey Rob, any chance you can share the best ported Eaton dyno graph with us? I would be very interested in the shape of the curves.
Also is it normal for the hp curve to bounce around like your MP graph previously posted? Mine does not do this, but I have not seen enough dyno charts to know if that is normal or can be explained.
Jim

Old 07-04-2005, 12:35 AM
I have no idea on why the MP blower did not perform well, but I am calling BS on the spring theory.

I ran 23 pounds of boost(KB)...multiple fricking times, on my built lower...STOCK HEAD/CAM/Spring combo. The truck would do 11.3x's all day long at that boost. I am not much for dyno numbers, but the truck was making over 500 HP with that combo.

23 pounds from a MP would seem to be the same as 23lbs from a KB. My ported Eaton did north of 465 HP at 19lbs of boost.

Maybe it is in the tuning somehow? Say what you want fellers...but JDM has gotten some darned good numbers out of these MP blowers. Maybe instead of chucking rocks over his fricking bow, folks should consult with him on how he does it.

Rocks

Old 07-04-2005, 12:46 AM
It takes less horsepower to turn the KB then the MP or eaton at that boost level, + the efficiancy of the screw keeps the discharge temps lower.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by AZBLACKMONSOON
It takes less horsepower to turn the KB then the MP or eaton at that boost level, + the efficiancy of the screw keeps the discharge temps lower.

Makes sense to me............makes less heat and uses a few ponies less....but this still does not back up the weak spring theory.

The extra heat would possibly affect the tune though.

Way back in the day...before I changed my maf. I would run out of voltage at around 19lbs of boost. It makes me wonder if the tuning has to be adjusted for the extra boost from the 19lbs the ported eaton made to the 21lbs the MP made in that test. That adjustment would entail more than just changing the timing or AF...the whole darned fuel curve would have to be adjusted.

Out of curiousity.....what MAF is Rob using and what tuning software is being used here.

Rocks

Quick Reply: Eaton Vs Magnum Dyno 6 29 05