Lightning

Snow and traction bars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow and traction bars?

Last year I put 16 inch tires on the rear of my truck and 210 lbs. of sand in the bed and didn't have any problems in the snow.

Over the summer I modified the airbox & added a K&N. Installed a FTVB and made some slapper bars like Lakewood Bars.

This year, with the same 16 inch tires (and same sand) on the rear, I have almost gotten stuck 3 times. I don't think it was more snow than last year when I was doing fine. Twice I couldn't walk it out, I had to punch it and burn down to asphalt to finally move very slowly. The other time it was Tidy Cat to the rescue.

Could it be that the slapper bars aren't letting the springs move and that's what's making it harder to get traction? The tires still have good tread on them (besides what I left in the snow) Any other ideas?

Old 12-27-2004, 11:37 PM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I run traction bars also(Metco uppers). I put about 400#'s of tube sand in the back and don't have any problems. Of course I drive for the conditions. My tire size 255- 65-16 Perilli Ice & Snow.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Maybe the slapper bars are hanging up on the snow?

Old 12-28-2004, 02:04 AM
Re: Snow and traction bars?

Originally posted by olefafl
Last year I put 16 inch tires on the rear of my truck and 210 lbs. of sand in the bed and didn't have any problems in the snow.

Over the summer I modified the airbox & added a K&N. Installed a FTVB and made some slapper bars like Lakewood Bars.

This year, with the same 16 inch tires (and same sand) on the rear, I have almost gotten stuck 3 times. I don't think it was more snow than last year when I was doing fine. Twice I couldn't walk it out, I had to punch it and burn down to asphalt to finally move very slowly. The other time it was Tidy Cat to the rescue.

Could it be that the slapper bars aren't letting the springs move and that's what's making it harder to get traction? The tires still have good tread on them (besides what I left in the snow) Any other ideas?
Traction bars won't do anything at a slow speed necessary to drive in the snow unless like Rock mentioned, they are hanging up on the snow. How deep was the snow?

Old 12-28-2004, 07:13 AM
Snow was about 4in. both times I had to say in the gas to get out, the other was a plowed drive with very little snow.

The bars don't hang down low.

I do " drive for the conditions"

Old 12-28-2004, 07:31 AM
traction

I would say the "conditions" create the problem. I.E. ice under the snow!

I plow during this season and traction changes by storm w/ the same plow vehicle. This last storm in the N.E. we had a coating of ice under 8 inches of snow,, not good traction conditions.

I would see what happens as the season goes on!!!!

Goodluck,

Jon

Old 12-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by olefafl
Snow was about 4in. both times I had to say in the gas to get out, the other was a plowed drive with very little snow.

The bars don't hang down low.

I do " drive for the conditions"
those aren't like any lakewoods I've ever seen.

Those slappers bars prevent leaf spring wrap, which only occurs under heavy load WITH traction. If you are spinning your tires, you aren't getting traction and the bars are just extra weight and doing nothing.

I have to change tires about once a year, (damn things keep going bald)... perhaps the tread is worn out.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by l-menace
those aren't like any lakewoods I've ever seen.

Those slappers bars prevent leaf spring wrap, which only occurs under heavy load WITH traction. If you are spinning your tires, you aren't getting traction and the bars are just extra weight and doing nothing.

I have to change tires about once a year, (damn things keep going bald)... perhaps the tread is worn out.

I have to agree with l-menace, the terminology is actually incorrect. Unfortunately, most folks refer to slappers as traction bars. The main reason for any of these....slappers, even the Metco's is to prevent leaf spring wrap and this in turn keeps the pinion from popping up and busting the drive shaft.

They also help to prevent wheel hop...which is also a by-product of leaf spring wrap. The traction gained could be considered secondary...if you get wheel hop on the launch, the tire will/could bounce up enough to loose traction and spin.

If your tires are not "hooking up"...the slappers do nothing.

I would go with the explanation given in this thread concerning the ice packed under the snow.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by l-menace

You can go a whole year on a set of rear tires

Old 12-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Re: traction

Originally posted by jgstang67
I would say the "conditions" create the problem. I.E. ice under the snow!

I plow during this season and traction changes by storm w/ the same plow vehicle. This last storm in the N.E. we had a coating of ice under 8 inches of snow,, not good traction conditions.

I would see what happens as the season goes on!!!!

Goodluck,

Jon
Snow was lite and fluffy. No ice.

I know about the bars only stopping axle wrap. I called them traction bars because thats what most people know them as.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:04 PM
hey maybe its all the extra hp from the k&n. please keep the snow your way we sure don't need it or want it in Iowa.

traction not a problem here L is hybernating

Old 12-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
You can go a whole year on a set of rear tires
I put just over 4000 miles on it last year

Quick Reply: Snow and traction bars?