Lightning

P.S.P.-Magnum Powers dyno results are in!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking P.S.P.-Magnum Powers dyno results are in!

Well first let me say a big thanx to Sal from Power Surge Performance and Charles from Magnum Powers.I give the Magnum Powers a two thumbs up.Definately a product worth the money.All the below mentioned numbers are in SAE.My previosly best dyno with a ported eaton was 476hp and 542 ft lb torque.That was on race fuel at 22 degrees timing,stock upper 8lb lower.Today it dynoed 482hp and 568 ft lb torque with the added mods of a 2.7 upper and electric waterpump at 22 degrees timing on race gas and 8 lb lower.My boost would always go to 14.5 and drop down to 11 around 4500 rpms.Now with just the swap of the supercharger we went to 527hp!!!!!and 573ft lb of torque!!!at the same timming of 22 degrees.You have to hear this thing scream!!!My boost went to 16 with a peak of 17 at the end!!!!No more dropping off.I just cant wait to get this thing down the track.Im still smiling from ear to ear.I finally made the 500 club.WOOOOOOOOOOOO Hooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!I had a great day,got to watch Sal work his magic and check out all the cars in his shop.Wait till u all see his beast!I even got to see Rob and his truck was there.I believe he was saying something to sal like "Is it done yet?"lol...Well heres a few pics....

Old 12-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Old 12-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Sorry the pics came out like ***** ,i need a new camera.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Nice numbers! Did you happen to get it on video?

Old 12-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Very nice... Sal is the man...........

PEacE..............................
Jim

Old 12-11-2004, 09:46 PM
So 45 HP with the MP.... Your not still running stock fuel pumps and injectors are you? Thanks for the info....

Old 12-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by JeffsLightning
So 45 HP with the MP.... Your not still running stock fuel pumps and injectors are you? Thanks for the info....
The fuel system has been upgraded,pumps,60 lb injectors,stock rail.

Fast1=sorry no vid,cant afford one with all the modding.lol...

Old 12-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by chimshady1
The fuel system has been upgraded,pumps,60 lb injectors,stock rail.

Nice...

Old 12-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I wanted to discuss the results with Charles before posting, but I didn't tell Jason not to post anything, so I guess the cat is out of the bag .

As mentioned, we did our Magnum Powers testing today on Jasons truck. Since Jason was already out of MAF, I started off by installing an SCT BA2400 unit on his truck. I then retuned it from scratch with the new MAF, with his current combo. That combo was:

Built motor, ported heads, stage 2 cams, self ported Eaton (tested on our dyno with a 25hp gain over stock eaton), ported intake plenum, TB, long tubes, electric fan and water pump, 60s, SCT BA2400, cold air kit, 8lb lower, 2.7 upper, and I think that's it.

Here were the results of the baseline runs, with the ported Eaton with 2.7 upper and the 8lb lower:

ECT temp - 170 degrees
IAT2 temps - started about 130, and rose to about 145, going up slightly during the consecutive pulls
Boost - 14.5 psi, dropping to 11 psi at higher rpms

You can see on Jason's dyno graphs that his ported Eaton gives up just over 4500 and starts to plain off, then drop in power over 5k rpm.

After the pulls with the ported Eaton, we swapped on the Magnum Powers blower. Still using the same pulley setup, 8lb lower and 2.7 upper. Nothing else on the truck was changed:

ECT temp - 170 degrees
IAT2 temps - started about 132 and rose to about 145, same as with the ported Eaton
Boost - 16 psi, rising to 17.5 psi, no drop off

Looking at his graphs, you can see the HUGE gain in hp over 3700 rpms. Power stays up and does not drop off. Charles was right about the MP being much more efficient at high rpms. Now you can see that it IS lower in torque at lower rpms, but it still makes more overall torque, which seems to have shifted to the mid rpm band. The huge gain in HP should definitely make the truck a ton faster, regardless of the small torue drop down low.

Also, if you look at the A/F lines, you will notice that they are IDENTICAL. Nothing was changed in the tune between blowers. The A/F stays exactly the same, even though the truck is making more boost and almost 50 more rwhp.

It should also be noted that after the race tune testing, we built Jason a new street tune as well for the MP. With only 15 degrees of timing, the MP blower made more hp than his ported Eaton with 22 degrees.

Things to note about the testing....

The intake opening on the MP is larger than the stock gasket or plenum. There was as much as an 1/8" of gasket sticking into the opening in some spots. We trimmed the gasket to match the MP port, and then we gasket matched the upper intake to the new size.

The IAT2 charge temps were equal to a ported Eaton.

The install was easy, and the quality of the MP is pretty much the same as OEM. It also screams pretty good under boost .

In taking with Charles at MP the past few weeks, he has stressed that this blower is meant to be SPUN. Jason'a combo of the 2.7 upper and 8lb lower, is just the BEGINNING of this blower's sweet spot. I think with even more rpm, the slight torque loss would dissapear and even more hp would be made. I can easily see why some people have poor results when putting this unit on trucks with much less pulley. It just doesn't like to work that slow. But spin it up, and it shines, and seen in our results.

I hope that our testing has answered lots of questions about the Magnum Powers. It DOES work, it just needs the right tuning and combination of parts to do it's job. It's no doubt better than a ported Eaton, but it needs to be spun hard. We will be selling them, and I hope to do lots more R&D on other combinations.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Good info Sal....Now all we need is a MP vs. KB comparison... I doubt that will happen anytime soon though...

Old 12-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Sorry Sal,but i just couldnt hold back the excitement!lol...Call me a show off!lol..

Old 12-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Damn Jay.....holy shiznit....Thats impressive. Nice Numbers man, congrats, I cant wait to see that baby run now, maybe I'll shoot out there tomorrow if your not busy. Throw me a call when you read this. Oh and BTW gimme your ported blower now you dont need it LoL.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by JeffsLightning
Good info Sal....Now all we need is a MP vs. KB comparison... I doubt that will happen anytime soon though...

Apples to oranges. Well, maybe grapefruits to oranges, since they're both blowers for the same vehicle.

Nice test Sal. I may be needing one of those SCT 2400s and a bigger pulley for my next tune. I wonder how well that will go over on a stock block. It also looks like I'm going to have to drive to L.I., NY to get a dyno tune... eventually.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Awesome Results Guys, WOO HOO
It was great seeing you again Chim, and BTW the Beast looked great.

It seems you and Sal had a REAL GOOD day.

CONGRATS CHIM, CONGRATS SAL
(whish I could have stayed longer, but after an hour or so,
I think Sal can use the break, hehehehehehe......

Old 12-11-2004, 10:58 PM
(sorry guys, all my pic's the last few weeks are crap, I got some feature turned on (on the Camera) and don't know how to turn it off, everything is coming out grainy @)^$)@#$)@#$^)@#$
ya I know, maybe tommorrow I'll FINALLY read the dam instructions
)

Quick Reply: P.S.P.-Magnum Powers dyno results are in!