Lightning

Any Ideas On How To Mount Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Ideas On How To Mount Front License Plate

Yes I need it on. I go through customs too often so I need it and Washington State requires it.

What I wanted to know is, does anyone have any ideas on how to mount the license frame without drilling through the front of the bumper.

Or better yet is there any kits that would allow me to attach it to the underside of the bumper/fascia. Thanks

Old 05-07-2003, 10:27 AM
some guys just tie wrap it to the lower grill

Old 05-07-2003, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I use to travel North of the border, I would just drive a little further East and cross over at Eastport, Idaho. Hell, they very seldom ever checked us and we were pulling a fifth wheel trailer.
Seriously, I don't think there is any kit for this installation. I know it broke my heart to have to drill my bumper, but the law in Ohio says you gotta have it. Should have stayed in Oregon I guess.
Marc

Old 05-07-2003, 10:48 AM
Banned
Old 05-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Yep, mount it to your office wall... makes a good converstaion piece. I ripped mine off about 15 minutes after buying the truck. the darn dealer put it on, and put two unsightly holes in the front of my truck... now I need them patched....
.... Marc - I need to get the body shop info from you......
I am very worried as to how the newly painted true blue paint will match.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Has anybody actually installed the retractable plate? Looks almost more trouble than it's worth. I just might have to bite the bullett and drill holes.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Posting Rights Suspended For Too Many Antagonistic Posts
Dude go with mexican technology! A couple of zip ties through the lower grill and thats it!!!!!!!! It may eject on a 120mph run, but then you'll have an excuse for the man. HEhehe

Old 05-07-2003, 12:15 PM
please noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo holes!

Old 05-07-2003, 12:23 PM
I thought about the zip tie thing, but was a little concerned with airflow to the lower grill. If I shouldn't be concerned then mabye I can get some black teflon bolts and do it that way. Thanks again.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by 93Cobra
Yep, mount it to your office wall... makes a good converstaion piece. I ripped mine off about 15 minutes after buying the truck. the darn dealer put it on, and put two unsightly holes in the front of my truck... now I need them patched....
.... Marc - I need to get the body shop info from you......
I am very worried as to how the newly painted true blue paint will match.
You should try and get a new bumper. When I bought my L in Wisconsin (A state that requires front plates), the bracket was NOT mounted or drilled. My dealer told me that SVT dealers are not supposed to drill the holes unless the buyer specifically requests it, just give the customer the bracket and let them decide. So your dealer messed up.

Old 05-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by jeffsavage
You should try and get a new bumper. When I bought my L in Wisconsin (A state that requires front plates), the bracket was NOT mounted or drilled. My dealer told me that SVT dealers are not supposed to drill the holes unless the buyer specifically requests it, just give the customer the bracket and let them decide. So your dealer messed up.
Amen Jeff Of course I had mine on, and got in an accident, where the bumper cover was replaced... low and behold I was never given another bracket. Damnedest thing.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Suction cup it on the front window.

Or make a strap that comes through lower grill to mount it on, but be able to remove the whole thing in less then 5 minutes.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:51 PM
On my mustang I used a bracket off of my old scirrocco(84) it bolted to the bottom side of the bumper so that no holes would show. I put the fuzzy velcro across the back of the bracket so it wouldnt hurt the paint. #yrs and no noticable damage. I would suggest shopping your local salvage yard and look for alternative mount styles. Just my .02

Old 05-07-2003, 10:04 PM
There is a thread on

Talon about this right now.. the best solution IF you have to put it on was to have the plate mount painted to match your truck.. this way it will minimize the effect.,.
Dana

Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Plate

This is what we have started in Toronto. SVTOA Scan the licence plate and output on a colour copier. The output is done on special synthetic Xerox paper which holds in place by static. If you want to clean it remove and then put it back on.

I work for Xerox and this gets more attention on my vehicle than anything else. Gee, this might be a new business idea...

Dion

Quick Reply: Any Ideas On How To Mount Front License Plate