King Ranch

KR Logo'd Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

OK I'm in....where was the last bid? (this could be fun, everyone bids it up, up, up, to find that the winner gets the lemon of all tonneau covers). Maybe I should save all of this and grab another Xtang like I had on my Superduty. They now have colors I'm told. hmmmmmm.

Old 08-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Screw it. I'm out

Old 08-08-2002, 12:01 PM
Do you mean screw as in:

a. A small metal object that it used as a fastener

b. A large, gorgeous 4 door pick-up, built by Ford, available in many trim levels including a King Ranch Edition

c. A term used to describe frustration and inability to continue on a preset course.

Can you tell it's a slow day in the office?

Old 08-08-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by acbell
I had that KR-Cover installed for about a week, but had the dealer take it back for a full refund of parts and labor as it looked sharp, but was completely worthless in everday use.

First the way they constructed it, the rear section on either end above the tailgate had about a 1-inch by 1/2-inch gap allowing water or in my case snow to get through and into the bed during that week we had it. So if you are doing this for water protection of your valubels, don't get this one.

Second, they have a horizontal section that goes across the rear to latch the cover to that was when you tried to remove it, it would stick. My wife could not get it off on two seperate occasions and was pissed to say the least.

Third, because the SCrew beds are not rectangles, it would not roll up for crap plus you would then have the three supports all rolling around the bed.

If you are buying it just for looks and will leave it on all the time, go for it as it dresses the truck up real nice. If you are trying to use your bed or protect your posessions, avoid it like the plague.

Also, I think they had clamps to install it but when they removed it, they had to replace the top rails on both sides from the damage it had caused from installation.

Anyway, after much research we ended up going with the Retrax Roll Top Cover. It comes in a glossy black that looks sharp with the black trim parts and tinted windows of the truck. It rolls very smoothly when you need to use the bed. It locks to protect your valubels, and extends over the tail gate unlike the competition that butts up to it. Very good product IMHO. At least it works great for us. It can also be painted if you wanted to put your own Flying W Logo on it or to match the lower begie trim (black still looks good). I just haven't had the time to tackle this project yet.

PS: KingRanch1 - Where are you in NJ. I live out west of Flemington and work in Somerville?
I live in Wayne and work in NYC. It's nice to see a few KRs' running around NJ. Thanks for the update and info. It looks like I may go a different direction, after your thorough bashing ...although I haven't made a solid decision yet. (hmmm...I've noticed I take more and more time to make decisions since joining this board)

Old 08-08-2002, 12:37 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by KingRanch1
Do you mean screw as in:

a. A small metal object that it used as a fastener

b. A large, gorgeous 4 door pick-up, built by Ford, available in many trim levels including a King Ranch Edition

c. A term used to describe frustration and inability to continue on a preset course.

Can you tell it's a slow day in the office?

ALL OF THE ABOVE. hehe

Old 08-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Not trying to discourage any one, it was probably an isolated bad cover , not.

Anyway, do you commute to the city in your KR? I've been afraid to take mine in. I could just see one of those garage attendants trying to maneuver her in there . We always take the Camry just to play it safe.

Old 08-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by acbell
Not trying to discourage any one, it was probably an isolated bad cover , not.

Anyway, do you commute to the city in your KR? I've been afraid to take mine in. I could just see one of those garage attendants trying to maneuver her in there . We always take the Camry just to play it safe.
I use it everyday...my friends/family think I'm nuts (I am quite frankly, but I'm on great medication). I commute in with my boss and brother and park in a self park next to The Garden...I take 2-3 spots

Last week I played cat/mouse with a wacko in a Durango for getting into the tunnel...tipped the mirror back, and just a few days ago I had to show a Passat the real way to cut someone off because how he did it to me wasn't exactly right.

PS. No, I'm not really nuts, I just drive that way, but I have an excuse...it's NEW YORK CITY!

Old 08-08-2002, 02:33 PM
God I love Jersey drivers!

Old 08-08-2002, 02:49 PM
I don't! They all moved here to Orlando! What's worse, it must be all the cabbies that moved here, because they are the worst!

AAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

Can you tell I hate the drivers here? I have lived here my whole life and it has gotten unbearable. As soon as I can finish my Master's and find a better job somewhere else, I am moving.

Old 08-08-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by dufunnel
I don't! They all moved here to Orlando! What's worse, it must be all the cabbies that moved here, because they are the worst!

AAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

Can you tell I hate the drivers here? I have lived here my whole life and it has gotten unbearable. As soon as I can finish my Master's and find a better job somewhere else, I am moving.
Come on up

Old 08-08-2002, 06:11 PM
being that i was stationed in the navy in orlando i have to agree that they have the absolute worst drivers on earth, nyc is a cake walk compared to orlando.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:12 PM
Hey MikeF150,

I'm hurt . You forgot about the 4th one you saw at the Horse World Expo this past Feb in the Garden State Expo Center parking lot. It was my Chestnut KR! You even took some spare parts as I recall . I'm just kidding.

Old 08-09-2002, 07:57 AM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-07-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by MikeF150
KingRanch1 - will have to keep an eye out for you.. often visit the 24 hour Home Depot there.... either that or my wife goes over and loads up the truck at Willowbrook mall/Costco/Home Goods...

Since I bought mine last Oct, I've seen three KR's in NJ - one green SCab in Union, green Supercrew in New Brunswick and a Charcoal Blue Supercrew (like mine) about a block away from where I live near Watchung Plaza (breathed a sigh of relief when I saw it had North Carolina plates!! )

Which dealer would you recommend for service? I bought my turck down in Watchung off Rte 22 - too much a hassle to go there for service though...
You can't miss me at Home Depot...I'm the one who parks with cones around his truck...I steal them from those little Ford Ranger security guys with the flashing yellow lights on top, that is if they aren't rescuing a runaway shopping cart Looks like there are more KR Editions in NJ than I thought.

I go through all the trouble of ordering my truck from Wyckoff Ford to find out that within a month of picking it up....some person has the same color who lives within a few miles of me! UGGH! So I went to a buddy of mine who's a PIAA distributor and got the PIAA Airdam with quad lighting and wala!...the next time they park in the same parking lot...I can tell em apart.

As far as dealer service, I have a friend who works at Dan Buckey in Chestnut Ridge (I like going there...my truck feels good about the name of the town). I've bought 5 cars from him and he does right with service issues. They are 2 miles off of the GSP on the broder of NY/NJ...up around Montvale. Wyckoff hasn't been all with it....and I don't like being a "number" at the big boys like Wayne, Fette or Route23. Anyway...I'm rabbling...glad to see you guys are around and I'm not the only one with the KR itch.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:59 AM
Yes, I've been real busy too. Moved into the role of a Lotus Notes Application Developer here at work and been putting in a lot of overtime with it. We just finished our first application so I finally have a minute to breath and check this site again.

Quick Reply: KR Logo'd Tonneau Cover