King Ranch

Touch Up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 08:54 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Touch Up Paint

Anyone had any experience buying touch-up paint? My dealership is ****ing me around on this topic and I'm just ready to find it, buy it, and fix a nasty rock gash on the front end.

Any suggestions? HELP!

RP

Old 06-25-2002, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey RockPick!

I have not even tried to find any yet. I thought that due to our limited colors the dealer would be the only choice. Keep us posted on this topic please.

Old 06-26-2002, 12:04 AM
My dealer wanted to charge me $26 for one vial of each color. I politely declined. I called the guys at www.oemfordparts.com and they gave me a better price, but I didn't have to color codes with me at the time and I've yet to order it. I think it was 8 or 9 bucks a piece.
BD

Old 06-26-2002, 04:14 AM
Hi Y'all....

One of the first things I do whenever I buy a new vehicle whether it be used or brand new, is buy the manufacturers touch in paint.
Just to deal with minor stone chips and hairline scratches that buffing will not erase.
I bought the touch in paint from my dealer for $19.49.
That was for 2 tubes, paint and lacquer.
As my next vehicle will be my 59th you can see I have had a fair bit of experience with this process!
I must say that the paint for my chestnut colored truck is superb.
I don't know if it is particularly to do with a relatively dark color, but the paint goes on really easily.
The consistency of the paint seems just right for the job in hand.
Small blemishes just disappear when used carefully.
Do like the professionals and use your non painting hand as a rest for the hand the paint stick is in and apply only when you are sure you have wiped any excess off the brush on the rim of the tube.
Make sure the end of the brush is cut at a slight angle to enable even the finest of lines to be filled.

I must say I have found this particular paint really satisfying to use.
Other vehicles I walk round dreading finding marks...this one I almost relish the chance to try my hand again.

AND NO SKAGEL YOU CAN'T COME AND DING MY TRUCK TO GIVE ME MORE PRACTICE TO MAKE UP FOR OUR PREVIOUS THREATS TO THROW ROCKS AT TOMAS !!

Old 06-26-2002, 06:36 AM
Hey Lenny,

Where and the heck have you been? BTW, all that talk about how great that touch-up paint is to work with was almost leading me to think you probably make a mixed drink with that stuff too. Your story was convincing enough to think you're selling that stuff to us . Okay, I'll take a couple dozen bottles...SOLD.

The KR S'Crew is my third F150 and it's the only one that Ford didn't supply touch-up paint after the sale for free in the mail. Maybe they didn't send free touch-up paint 'cause of the rare colors or they are just getting to be cheap asses.

Keep in touch...without paint!

~DM~

Old 06-26-2002, 07:50 AM
I think mine were $5 a piece from www.fordpartsnetwork.com .

Old 06-26-2002, 08:14 AM
yeah, i agree that it is odd that ford didn't give us any touch up paint for our trucks. i'm gonna have to ask about it when i go in for my shudder problem...again.

Old 06-26-2002, 08:46 AM
Moderator &

Sure would've been nice to have some with the truck.... Life would be much easier....

Question: Do I need to buy the laquer as Lent mentions? Doesn't the touch up paint have some degree of 'luster' to it without the laquer (clearcoat).

The rock gash (toothbrush head for scale)

As you can see, it's a fairly large ding and is in the plastic of the front grille. It has depth and isn't just a 'surficial paint chip'. I'm going to (per the helpful instruction of Intel486 from the general care forum) start building the paint from the bottom of the gash out and then take some 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand it back to life... and then of course polish out the micro-scratches that the sandpaper will leave. I pray it'll work.

I'm just thinking that, with the 'depth' of the gash, the clearcoat might not be a bad idea to final coat the gash and offer a tiny bit of protection over the paint in that area.

Any insight?

®P

Last edited by Rockpick; 06-26-2002 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:56 AM
I received a "welcome" package in the mail from Ford the other day, which ended up being a small touch-up paint. I also just ordered a spray can of paint for some accessories from www.paintscratch.com. While I haven't received the order yet, others here have recommended them highly.

Old 06-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Rock....

I never use the lacquer on the very small chips...I think it would only notice on a larger area...which I probably wouldn't tackle myself anyway!

Old 06-26-2002, 12:58 PM
my wonderful dealership gave me the touch up paint they used on Tomas when they fixed him. I never did get any from the dealership though as a promotional gift or anything.

Old 06-26-2002, 08:14 PM
Moderator &

Ordered the touch up paint from fordpartsnetwork.com. $6.94 per tube. I ordered both the chestnut brown and the arizona beige.

Part #'s

Chestnut Brown: ALBZ-19500-6938A
Arizona Beige: ALBZ-19500-6985A

Jenny: 867-5309

I'll post some 'after' pics on that massive ding but, first, I'm off to see the wild 'yonder' in Montana for a week and a half. I'll be back on July 4th. You all have fun without me...

RP

Old 06-26-2002, 11:54 PM
And that would be "Jenny's" part number?

BD

Old 06-28-2002, 09:51 PM
Moderator &

LMAO... I was wondering if anyone would catch me giving out Jenny's phone number...

RP

Old 06-29-2002, 07:21 AM
Rock,

Man, I'm getting old and slow. Eight six seven five three O nineine! I remember now, that was a song from back in the sixties or seventies, right?

Rock, you're a real pick!

Later,
~DM~

Quick Reply: Touch Up Paint