King Ranch

Expy Console

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, if this is correct, then maybe a 99 console would work best, without the A/C controls in the console and with the wider console lid. Can someone verify this on their 99 expy?

Old 06-11-2002, 09:50 PM
Guys,

I finally got some measurements on my Dad's '01 Expy console lid. The results are as follows:

Expy Console Lid:
Width~12" at the widest part
Width~10.5" at the narrowest part
Length~16-5/8"
Length ~15" from hinge pivot to the latch

Super Crew Console Lid:
Width~12" at the widest part
Width~10.5" at the narrowest part
Length~14"
Length ~13" from hinge pivot to the latch

Looks to me like some of us guessed correctly, the lid on the Expy console is longer than the one on the Super Crew.

Sounds like a good idea to install an Expy front center console in a Super Crew but I think in order to maintain the KR leather we'll have to have the Expy lid recovered with the KR Castano Leather to maintain originallity.

What about the A/C ducts, would we be able to connect those up on the Super Crew like in the Expy? I like the idea of having A/C vents for the rear passengers on a Super Crew, does everyone else?

Let's keep the discussion up as this is a serious mod that is possible.

Later,
~DM~

Old 06-11-2002, 10:02 PM
I would to have the Expy console. I just do not want it without the KR lid. And the rear AC vents would also be a plus.

Old 06-12-2002, 07:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sure that there is a way to hook up the rear A/C. You just need all of the duct work and electrical connections, which is going to cost you. I know when I called Ford to get all of the part numbers for the console there were 12-14 parts and it was over $600 from them and this did not include any ducts or electrical connections. A junk yard would be your best bet.

Old 06-12-2002, 08:42 AM
I agree Daveman having air ducs in the back seat for the munchkins/munchkin would be nice. I know a guy who can do the lid for us, but getting our hands on that leather is a whole other issue.

off the subject, but still in the mod topic. I have decided to have the running "W" done in the arizona beige on my lid instead of the ghost paint. I think it will flow better with the truck. the ghost paint just has to many hints of pink. I hate the color pink. yucky!

Old 07-03-2002, 08:18 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Skagel,

Have you scrapped this idea all together? I'm still interested but, it sounds like it might be more of a hassle than anything. We'd have to come up with KR leather (which, from the sounds of things, is like pulling teeth out of a cow). I wouldn't expect that it'd be difficult to find an upholstry shop to do the recovering.

I remember a few posts from several months ago mentioning people having tried to get their hands on some of the KR leather and that it was darn near impossible.

This just really sounds like it's going to be a mega hassle and that it's probably a lost cause.

RP

Old 07-03-2002, 09:58 AM
yes I have scrapped the idea of the expy console....but I have another idea that will have to do.

Bear with me while I explain....I am a chick and am long winded...

I have these KC offroad lights on my brush guard and wanted bonnets for them and KC only makes them in white and lets face it white won't match.....then of course there are the plastic yellow happy faced ones that came with the lights, but that is deffinately out of the question. So this weekend I went shopping for some vinyl....and I stumbled upon some that matches so closely to the leather that unless right up next to eachother one would never know.....and it feels like leather not like your typical vinyl. Now I can't sew a stitch, but my mom is a genious and is doing it for me. I also am stenceling on using the touch-up paint for Tomas the running "W" on each bonnett. my point in all of this is I was considering just building a box that will house all my switches and my gps screen and cover it using this same vinyl. I also considered getting ahold of the carpet, but after seeing how perfect this vinyl matched with Tomas's leather I thought that the vinyl would look better.

Old 07-03-2002, 10:43 AM
Moderator &

Hrrm... okay.

*puzzled look*

RP

Old 07-03-2002, 11:54 AM
I will post pic's of the bonnets when they are done......might be easier for ya'll men since you are visual people.

Old 07-03-2002, 01:49 PM
Moderator &

When you say 'bonnet'. I picture your kid in a baby hat. Even worse, I picture your truck in some kind of retro-fitted baby hat that goes over the cab and ties underneath.

I'm a visual person... pretty creative sometimes even. This one, I will admit, is slightly above me.

Also, are you sure you want a leather-like look on the outside of your truck--maybe the inside but, the outside? Stick with the smiley faces. Maybe I'll like it once I see it but honestly, I'm reluctant because of the description... *shrugs*

More powwa to ya tho gurlfriend! YOU GO! *snaps fingers*

(again, see... I'm ethically diverse!)

RP

Old 07-03-2002, 02:30 PM
as far as the "W" in az beige on the cap it sounds rather loud to me and a painter can tint the "ghost" paint can be tinted any color you wish, no wories there, it doesn't have to look pink unless you get it done in the ghetto.

on topic, why buy an expy c.c. from the dealer, he will rip you off and then you will still have to put the whole darn thing together yourself. try the auto dismantlers, junk yards, auto recyclers whatever your chosen name for them out in california and down in texas as they tend to wreck rather often due to people spending more time on the phone than paying attention to the road. as far as hooking up the rear a/c, where do the ducts run for the expy and what are the chances you can mod the f150 the same way.

now leather, shouldn't really be a problem, maybe the leather you replace it with won't be called castano leather but if it looks, feels and smells the same are you going to complain. cheapest would be to find a saddle maker out west like montana, wyoming, etc and send him you current top and ask him to make one the same except in the longer expy length and then to make up some of the cost you could ebay your tops.

Old 07-03-2002, 02:54 PM
UMMM. Alan have you completely forgotten that my b/f works for Ford and he can order it and I will end up paying less for it then even the dealership has to pay? but beyond that I have scrapped that idea.

Old 07-05-2002, 09:27 AM
well, that wasn't necessarily for you kiddo, unless you are getting them for everyone on the list the junk yard route is rather good.

Quick Reply: Expy Console