King Ranch

Faded leather.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faded leather.

My leather seats in the front of my 2006 King Ranch have faded badly (before I owned it), and I'm interesting in trying to restore the color. The rear seats are much darker, and have more shine. I've looked around, and found places that sell replacement colors, but I'm not sure this is a task I want to undertake.

Have any of you used these after market colors, and do they really work, and how difficult a task is it? I'll have to ascertain just exactly what color mine is. Haven't looked, but assume there is a way to determine the proper color so that I can match it.

I've tried the conditioner that Ford sells, but it doesn't restore the color.

Thanks for any info.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Personally, I'd have the color restored professionally. The Castano leather in your King Ranch is pretty special stuff and I'd be reluctant to try to dye it myself.

I'm going to move your thread to the King Ranch forum, where one of the major topics is leather care and restoration. There was a thread here a couple years ago where someone had his seats recolored with excellent results. When I had my King Ranch, this was my "go-to" forum section!

- Jack

Old 12-10-2015, 12:20 AM
Thanks. I did find the other thread that dealt with this, but the company that does that is about 1400 miles from me. :-)

I'll check with my local Ford dealer and see if they have a recommendation.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:27 PM
you could always do the spa treatment and leather cpr. it darkened my 2003's leather. but the only real fix would be as jack said would be a recolor. mind posting a photo of how faded the seats are? Name:  81192B8C-B1F8-477B-BE70-4D7E7D3AA54F_zpsm5fsmcvr.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  155.2 KB

Last edited by Black KingRanch; 12-10-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Personally, I'd have the color restored professionally. The Castano leather in your King Ranch is pretty special stuff and I'd be reluctant to try to dye it myself.

I'm going to move your thread to the King Ranch forum, where one of the major topics is leather care and restoration. There was a thread here a couple years ago where someone had his seats recolored with excellent results. When I had my King Ranch, this was my "go-to" forum section!

- Jack
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ki...fter-pics.html

Old 12-10-2015, 01:39 PM
The light colored ones are the front seat, and the darker are the rear.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Drobson, except for the fading, your seats look to be in excellent condition! I think, with them in such good shape, you SHOULD try to find someone who could recolor them. Possibly, you could do an internet search and find someone with good references.

Black KingRanch, I think your truck was the one I remembered the recoloring thread about. Your guy did a superb job, didn't he?

My seats were in very good shape when I traded my truck. But, I kept it garaged, so it was not sitting in the sun for the 8 years I owned it, and the previous owner had maintained them very well.

One thing I did though, was to coat them, the steering wheel, and the center armrest with Tandy's Satin Sheen. It's an acrylic that you just sponge on and then buff with a clean cloth once it dries. I use the same stuff over leather dye on the leather work I do. In the King Ranch, it did not change the color or the finish of the leather to any extent, but it added a water resistant layer than helped prevent staining. My steering wheel and the armrest did not turn "black" with this coating like some other's trucks did. And, I still used the King Ranch conditioner from time to time.

- Jack

Old 12-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Drobson, except for the fading, your seats look to be in excellent condition! I think, with them in such good shape, you SHOULD try to find someone who could recolor them. Possibly, you could do an internet search and find someone with good references.

Black KingRanch, I think your truck was the one I remembered the recoloring thread about. Your guy did a superb job, didn't he?

My seats were in very good shape when I traded my truck. But, I kept it garaged, so it was not sitting in the sun for the 8 years I owned it, and the previous owner had maintained them very well.

One thing I did though, was to coat them, the steering wheel, and the center armrest with Tandy's Satin Sheen. It's an acrylic that you just sponge on and then buff with a clean cloth once it dries. I use the same stuff over leather dye on the leather work I do. In the King Ranch, it did not change the color or the finish of the leather to any extent, but it added a water resistant layer than helped prevent staining. My steering wheel and the armrest did not turn "black" with this coating like some other's trucks did. And, I still used the King Ranch conditioner from time to time.

- Jack
i just found the thread for you but it was from KingRanchCoy's incident with that woman throwing Dr. Pepper on his old King Ranch's seats. ( i probably would have flipped ish and seen how well she liked her truck being destroyed ) and @the op. id get some Leather CPR and give that a try. those seats look very good. the Leather CPR brought the color back in my 03's leather. but jack's suggestion would make the leather lower maintenance.

Last edited by Black KingRanch; 12-11-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Faded leather.