King Ranch

What do y'all think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _Flea_
I have a Gryphon on my list. Is the VMP product better, worse, or pretty much the same? Yeah, I know that's been beat to death. It's just too early and I'm too lazy at the moment to start searchin' for those threads. Seems like most people go with the Edge or Gryphon, from what I recall. I had a Diablo tuner on my Lightning, and it was alright, although I didn't really mess with it. I'm concerned that a tuner alone won't give me the power I'm cravin'. However, I could always get one and then add more mods to the truck later.
Can't say if VMP tunes are better then Gryphon... I've previously used a Hypertech with modifiable canned tunes, which was so-so. Now using on my 2010 KR a SCT programer with custom tunes by Justin at VMP. The improved power throttle response is pronounced at all levels. Truck now has a hair-trigger throttle. Green light; with the slightest touch on the accelerator the tranny pushes quickly through 1st & 2nd... if not careful to back-off, I'm cruzin' over anyone ahead. Passing at WOT is FAST and effortless, can't keep from smiling... alway surprises me when I glance at the speedo... thinking I'm 80ish but find needle's pointing towards 100. WOT from stop will laydown a couple of very decent stripes of rubber. Cost for SCT with custom VMP tunes was around $400. Justin was easy to deal with by e-mail, and fast to fill my order.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Haulin' Dogg
Can't say if VMP tunes are better then Gryphon... I've previously used a Hypertech with modifiable canned tunes, which was so-so. Now using on my 2010 KR a SCT programer with custom tunes by Justin at VMP. The improved power throttle response is pronounced at all levels. Truck now has a hair-trigger throttle. Green light; with the slightest touch on the accelerator the tranny pushes quickly through 1st & 2nd... if not careful to back-off, I'm cruzin' over anyone ahead. Passing at WOT is FAST and effortless, can't keep from smiling... alway surprises me when I glance at the speedo... thinking I'm 80ish but find needle's pointing towards 100. WOT from stop will laydown a couple of very decent stripes of rubber. Cost for SCT with custom VMP tunes was around $400. Justin was easy to deal with by e-mail, and fast to fill my order.
Cool. Thanks for that review. I'll keep the SCT tuner in mind. I'll have to do some research and see which will work best for me.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Well, I started lookin' at wheels, just to see what was out there, and I'm havin' a real hard time. I'd want somethin' that kinda sticks to the "theme" of the King Ranch. I'm also not sure who all makes wheels that will fit without rubbin' issues with a set of 33" tires. Can anyone please list a few companies to check out?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Flea - I hope you understand that bigger wheels (a larger tire diameter) are going to "sluggify" your truck even more? You're going to lose about 3-4% acceleration for every inch you increase the diameter. A programmer might get you 8% back, but not much more than that.

- Jack

Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Flea - I hope you understand that bigger wheels (a larger tire diameter) are going to "sluggify" your truck even more? You're going to lose about 3-4% acceleration for every inch you increase the diameter. A programmer might get you 8% back, but not much more than that.

- Jack
Yeah, I do understand that (well, I know that it'll make the truck more sluggish, but I didn't know the percentage estimates). I think a supercharger should more than make up for it. I'm not lookin' to street race anyone with this truck. Just not the right type of vehicle, and it will have the wrong type of setup (tires, suspension, etc.). I'm just lookin' for a more responsive vehicle with some get-up-n-go and has more "character" than my truck does now. I guess I just want more than a really nice interior. (I do love that interior!)

Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Boo Flea, I just got my '07 KR and here I am thinking I'm the bees knees. Now I hear that it's not exciting. I love driving this thing around, but I have to confess, I am more for cruising than speed.

How much would getting a new one set you back? Is there a huge price diff from your '08? It would suck to do a bunch of modding on it, and still not be satisfied. From what I read on the forums, it's hard to get your money back from mods when you resale.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by eghead
Boo Flea, I just got my '07 KR and here I am thinking I'm the bees knees. Now I hear that it's not exciting. I love driving this thing around, but I have to confess, I am more for cruising than speed.

How much would getting a new one set you back? Is there a huge price diff from your '08? It would suck to do a bunch of modding on it, and still not be satisfied. From what I read on the forums, it's hard to get your money back from mods when you resale.
Don't get me wrong, I really like this truck a lot. I'm just used to a little more get-up-n-go with my vehicles and a little more "character" or personalization. I've never left anything stock. I was felt on top of the world when I got my King Ranch too. I've wanted one since I first saw one. I even traded what I still consider one of my all-time favorite trucks ('02 Lightning) for it. So I definitely like it. I just think it needs somethin' more. That way I won't get bored with and want to get rid of it, which is already startin' to happen. I think that's because I've left it stock longer than anything else I've had. One of my complaints with it is the passing power. It just doesn't move when I want it to. That's why I was considerin' a supercharger or tradin' for a new one that has a good bit more power. I think addin' power, upgradin' the suspension to give a better ride, and a couple small things on the exterior (leveling kit, maybe new wheels) should be enough to make me fall in love with the truck all over again. I have yet to see a leather interior that looked better than the King Ranch, and I really don't wanna give that up.

And I like the color you chose for yours!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Engine Mods

Hi how are you i bought a 2008 king ranch and was wondering what supercharge kit i could possibly put on my truck. it has no engine mods whatsoever and was thinking of also adding an K&N air filter. How much is the ford racing kit? Any suggestions by anybody who knows about this kind of stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by galvanr2
Hi how are you i bought a 2008 king ranch and was wondering what supercharge kit i could possibly put on my truck. it has no engine mods whatsoever and was thinking of also adding an K&N air filter. How much is the ford racing kit? Any suggestions by anybody who knows about this kind of stuff would be greatly appreciated.
If I get one for mine, it will likely be the Whipple/Ford Racing kit. They vary in pricing, so you just have to shop around. From the reading I did on this forum, I feel it would be exactly what I'm looking for.