King Ranch

Wierd experience with seat motor...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd experience with seat motor...

Its now 18 months since I imported my KR Expy to the UK.

Before I left Texas I tried to make sure that everything was as perfect as it could be, bearing in mind the difficulty and expense of servicing this side of the Atlantic.
Apart from a faulty tire sensor which I can't (be bothered to) fix, the only problem was that the back/ forward control on the drivers seat had stopped working.

I could hear the solenoid clicking in but no way would it budge, although the up/down, tilt still worked.
As the seat was in roughly the right position it stopped bothering me, although I spent several hours under the seat trying to work a fix.
That was over a year ago although once every so often I've reached down to give it another go...to no avail.

Then today I drove in bitter cold weather to a small market town in mid Wales and as I switched off the ignition I hear a whirring sound and the seat magically moved backwards.
I had even forgotten that it is supposed to move rearwards then return to driving position when restarted !!

On checking, the seat is now working perfectly after 3000 miles of not functioning.

A silly little thing I know, but very pleasurable that its now doing what it's supposed to do.

Unless I've spoken too soon and go out in the morning to find I'm back to square one !!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenticular
....and as I switched off the ignition I hear a whirring sound and the seat magically moved backwards.
You must have gotten the "American Truck Driver" option when you bought it.... that "whirring" sound was actually a weight sensor... tip the scales a little too much and the seat automatically adjusts backward for the increased girth....

I believe the weight sensor is programmed to only actuate towards the end of football season.... after a few months of chicken wings, beer & chips every Sunday belt sizes tend to go up......

Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
@Mike - LOL!!!! Nice.

@John - You've certainly jinxed yourself. It'll never work correctly again now that you've documented your situation.

My suspicion is that FoMoCo is experimenting with parts that act like they are broken yet are perfectly capable of working. This, in turn, is designed to bolster the bottom line of each dealership's parts/service department.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockpick
@Mike - LOL!!!! Nice.

@John - You've certainly jinxed yourself. It'll never work correctly again now that you've documented your situation.

My suspicion is that FoMoCo is experimenting with parts that act like they are broken yet are perfectly capable of working. This, in turn, is designed to bolster the bottom line of each dealership's parts/service department.
I hope that's not the case

Quick Reply: Wierd experience with seat motor...