King Ranch

Any instructions on leather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Any instructions on leather?

I was wondering, while I was reading SassyPeaches' post in the "Welcome" thread, if she, or anybody else that has purchased a new or used KR, ever received any kind of instruction on leather care from the dealership/salesman?
When I bought mine in 11/03, I told the salesman, F&I man, sales manager and everyone else that you go through for signatures, etc., how this leather is supposed to be cared for. I learned ALOT in the previous year or so, while lurking and reading the posts that the "Old Timers" would write, and the things that worked and didn't. Everyone at the dealership in KC looked at me like I was nuts, thinking that all that needed to be done was wipe it down like Lariat leather. I felt like I was talking to a brick wall, but, left knowing that they really didn't give a hoot, and feeling sorry for the next person that bought a KR that didn't know anything about the kind of leather we have, and how to care for it.
I was also lucky that the "Leather Care Card" was still in the glove box, but I think that's about all that is involved??? I know that every KR that I have seen, the interior looks like crap, so I'm just assuming that all the dealership is concerned about anymore is the $$$ and not anything else concerning maintenance of anything. Am I correct in this assumption?

Old 06-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi TD,

It seems as fresh as yesterday but here's the story......and it's actually one I don't think I've related before.

When we bought our first house in the Rio Grande in the early part of this decade I thought it would be worthwhile having a decent vehicle.
I did have a Lincoln Town car which although very comfortable for long distance travel that we were doing, was starting to cost money.
All 4 electric windows packed up in a 3 week period !!

Anyway we went to the Ford dealership in Brownsville Tx, and were discussing possibilities with the salesman.
We had just about settled on a Ford Explorer when he said just out of interest we might like to look at a truck that had just come in.

We hadn't even thought of buying a 'truck', never having owned one. In fact it's only in the last few years they have caught on in the UK.

Well, he had the truck brought round from the storage yard and opened the doors.
If ever a vehicle got sold by that simple action, that was it.
The leather did it for us !

But the main thing was it was one of, if not the first, KR delivered to a dealership.

Why did we know that?

The fact is that one of this dealership's most important customers was
Frank Yturria whose family had bought into a large proportion of the King Ranch, and they had had to give permission for the use of the Castano.

In fact when (thanks to Brad noticing the seats being made in Castano) I ordered my KR Expedition, Frank was most upset to see the Expy when it came into stock and wanted to buy it, but was told that some foreign limey had bought it !!

Anyway, getting off the main body of the reply here......here was a dealership that had the closest possible connection to the KR and it's Castano, and basically the interior and it's care meant very little. It was 'just' leather, albeit a bit special.
I certainly relied on the little tag that was attacahed to the seats advising regular use of conditioner.

But of course that was in the 'good ol' days' when a knock on the door one evening meant a package was delivered containing that beautiful KR planner and free bottle of conditioner, that was given to all purchasers of the first KR's.
(I still have the planner unused in its original box)

So if Tipton Ford of Brownsville had no particular expertise in the leather, I have little hope for those elsewhere !!

Last edited by Lenticular; 06-16-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm new here, so please forgive any shortcomings regarding my posts... I just turned in a 2006 KR F150 (a lease) on 6/9/09 (bought a 2009 F150 XLT same day) and will relate my limited experience with the leather.... First off was the fact that seeing and feeling the leather was what sold me on it; was actually just browsing that day and ended up leaving with the vehicle an hour later. The recommendation was to use the KR products once every 6 mos; which I did the first year; had some fading on the front seats so I started every 3 mos. then finally every month with the KR conditioner; the monthly program worked out the best by a long shot. Some friends say I was a bit "fanatical" about the seats in it, and they may have been right; but damn, they looked great! When I turned it in (with all of 31000 miles on it) the sales manager decided he was going to purchase it for his own use.
I looked at the 09 KR but the leather just isn't the same in my humble opinion; not even close.

Joe

Old 06-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for your input.....

I think I know what you mean about the later leather, though it must be said that I'm a bit out of touch having been back in the UK for over a year.
The little I saw of the 'new' leather was not nearly so appealing..it almost looked synthetic.

By the by for any of the old gang I'm coming back over on Friday this week, but being a bit of a traitor.....going north of the border for a bit of exploration driving from Toronto to Calgary for the stampede, and then out further west...albeit in some inferior rental vehicle !!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Timber and Lenny,

Actually, I have not picked up my KR yet...I'm back in Atlanta visiting my parents for a couple of weeks. Robbie Carpino (I think he is Mike's nephew) has been sweet enough to offer to deliver the KR truck and the paperwork to me on Monday when I return (I'm a young widow and have no way to get from Columbus, Kansas and then back to Carthage with two vehicles). So, bless his heart, he has really gone above and beyond to help me make this happen. I am not trading...just wanted this truck since I plan to keep my Honda Pilot as my "Mom" vehicle when hauling around my 14 year old and his friends (nope, no way I am letting teenagers on my Castano leather). So, the long answer is I really don't know if the dealership will discuss proper care of the Castano leather...probably not. But that's no big deal in my case. A good friend of mine has a auto detail shop in Carthage and we have talked about how this leather is different and requires special care. In fact, he was the one that first turned me on to the KR. He was detailing a KR a few months ago (copper and Arizona beige) and called me to come look at it. He knew that I had been wanting a truck (hate messing up my Pilot to haul things like plants and potting soil) and knows that I am very particular about my purchases (I insist on quality)...he laughed and said there was finally a truck that suited my tastes (plus the copper color matched my hair so this truck seemed tailor made for me). ;-) *grin* Needless to say I fell in LOVE with that truck but unfortunately the owner did not want to let it go (no, duh!). Been on the look-out for one ever since and finally got lucky. Now I'm sassy and happy!!

Earlier this week, I ordered the leather care lotion from King Ranch Saddle Shop (along with way too many other things). *grins* It should arrive by next week at the latest so yes, I plan to properly care for and treat my KR Castano leather.

Last edited by SassyGaPeach; 06-16-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: corrected a misspelled word
Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Hello Sassy! I think you're going to love your truck. I know I do.

And, as Lenny has posted in several old threads, it really does not take that much to keep the leather looking good.

Clean it with warm water to get the dirt off. Don't "scrub" it. Let it dry. Condition with the KR Conditioner or, Leather CPR.

I will say that "skin oil" or sweat will discolor the leather. This is especially problematic on the steering wheel. I cleaned mine, vigorously, when I noticed it was turning "black" and then applied a coat of Tandy's Super Shene to restore the finish. I would now recommend Satin Shene instead, because it matches the original finish better, and I used that on the center console. I try to keep from sitting on the seat in shorts to a minimum due to the "sweat" problem. But, I condition the seats maybe 3-4 times a year and, I think they look great.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! I need to check in here more often!

- Jack

Old 06-19-2009, 07:13 AM
A good friend of mine has a auto detail shop in Carthage and we have talked about how this leather is different and requires special care. In fact, he was the one that first turned me on to the KR. He was detailing a KR a few months ago (copper and Arizona beige) and called me to come look at it. He knew that I had been wanting a truck (hate messing up my Pilot to haul things like plants and potting soil) and knows that I am very particular about my purchases (I insist on quality)...he laughed and said there was finally a truck that suited my tastes (plus the copper color matched my hair so this truck seemed tailor made for me). ;-) *

I might need to know this detail shop person in Carthage at some point?

Trending Topics

Old 06-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Timberdoodles

I might need to know this detail shop person in Carthage at some point?
His name is Mike Buck and he's a really nice guy. He owns and operates Auto Image Detailing in Carthage (417-358-3445). They do a fantastic job!

Quick Reply: Any instructions on leather?