King Ranch

Howdy All! New KR owner here - first impressions of my truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy All! New KR owner here - first impressions of my truck

Hello F150 online.

New member here. Good site. Not as much bickering here as other enthusiast sites. I have a Cobra and some SVT sites are populated by smart @ss kids.

Anyhow, I just took delivery of an '02 Supercrew KR 4x2. I needed a four door vehicle as my Cobra, Lightning and wife's Mustang only fit two people.

I'm impressed with the KR! Beautiful interior - love the KR logos, the truck inspires me to only play Country music. lol.

My only complaint so far is that the truck sounds like a mini-van, not a truck. Geeze, I like the quiet ride, but man, what a weak sounding truck. I'm 37 years old and I don't want a droning exhaust, but that stock cat back has got to go.

I look forward to some good feedback on this site!

Last edited by Rockpick; 01-08-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:32 AM
LOL. Have you seen the stock muffler yet? Talk about a huge muffler. No wonder it is so wimpy sounding. Mine was changed pretty quick after I got my truck.

What color is your KR? It's been a running competition here on the color. I have the charcoal blue.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new ride!

Dufunnel is right! The muffler under your truck is a PONTOON! Seriously, you could strap a few of them together and go for a nice float on the pond with little to no problem!

I didn't change out my stock muffler on my last KR (2001 4X2) but thought about it very seriously. While I understand your concern for a drone in the cab, mufflers/catback systems are kind of like underwear... everyone has a different brand, style, color that they like.

With that being said, I'd encourage you to surf and search our boards. There are sound clips out there that you will be able to find and a plethora of data that has been posted about brands from Borla to Magnaflow to Corsa to Gibson to... well, you get the idea. This information may help you out in choosing what's right for you.

Best of luck and, again, welcome to KR ownership!

RP

Old 10-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Welcome aboard. I have an '03 screw 4x4 KR. I have the Magnaflow cat back on mine and I really like it. Not too loud, but loud enough when you step on it you know it's a V8. I had a guy come up to me at a stoplight this week on my way home and asked me where I got my system because he heard it when I went by him and it was exactly the sound he was looking for on his 2000 scab with the 5.4. Some people like the Mgnaflow but some don't. It's all personal preference.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:26 PM
They are right the stock muffler is huge! I think it has to be over half the length on the cab on a supercrew. I had a Flowmaster exhaust put on mine not too long after I got the truck. I like the sound, some think they are too loud it is preference though.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! "Pontoon." lol!

Yeah, on my usual crawl under, I thought, "Cool! A dual 20 gal. gas tank!...Hey, wait a minute, why does the gas tank have an exhaust pipe sticking out? Doh! It's a friggin' muffler!" Pontoon. lol.

Anyhow dufunnel, it's blue, has a matching fiberglass cover, it has the 60/40 rear seats (I prefered the dual captains chair, but the wife wanted the 60/40), 4x2, otherwise stock. Man, these KR's are rare, as I only found three within 300 miles.

I'm new to the 5.4's, so I've been searchinig this site for the usual bolt ons - cold air and the aforementioned "pontoon" replacement cat back. These engines seem a bit down on power (compared to the competition), but they have outstanding low end torque. And its a beautiful truck, I'm still amazed how nice it is.

As far as mufflers go, I'll have a hard time deciding. I see a lot of people on this site have the Magnaflow. I had the Maggie on my old 5.0 Mustang, but I thought is was a bit loud and I really didn't like the sound as much as flowmaster. Decisions, decisions. At any rate, I do not want the wife bitching about too loud exhaust. Know what I mean, guys?

Cheers!

Old 10-15-2005, 09:54 AM
If you don't want something too loud but with a nice subtle rumble, you should check out the Borla catback..... I've had one for almost 4 years now on my 02 4x4. It's a SIDO out the back... I don't have alot of pics but here's one where you can make out the left exhaust... no problems installing yourself and the stainless tips have not discolored whatsoever..... nice thing about this system is the lack of drone going down the highway... I only get a little drone in the cab specifically at 1500 rpm, but other than that it's quiet... unitl you nail it and you'll know it's there...

Old 10-18-2005, 05:56 PM
I have a 2005 KR 4x4 and I installed that new Banks "Monster" cat back exhaust system. It cost me a penny or two, but I LOVE it. Sounds great not too loud but you know its there when you get into it. I have a hard time not getting on it, just to hear the sound it makes. I had a real hard time choosing which brand to go with. I sure love the Banks system!

Old 10-20-2005, 09:12 AM
I have had my '03 SCrew King Ranch 4X4 about 3 months. It is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned, bought it used with 64,000 miles on it. The first trip I took in it I drove from Mississippi to Vermont, but before I left I had to get it to make some noise when I mashed that 5.4 motor and breath better. So I addes a Magnaflow, dumped in front of the axel and a K&N. With the exhaust dumped under the cab there is a lot of noise in there, especially in the back seat. The color is Black with the tan bottom quarter.

Last edited by DoneThoo2; 10-27-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Hey dudes,

Just thought I'd wrap up this thread by letting everyone know I replaced my pontoon OEM muffler. First mod on the KR!

I finally decided on a Magnaflow muffler, 3" in/dual 2 1/2" out, dual out the real with 3 1/2" stainless tips.

Lot's of good threads on this forum about exhaust (didn't realize the apparant Magnaflow-Flowmaster war goin' on) which helped me decide.

I'm pleased with the Magnaflow! Nice deep rumble, very little interior noise over stock at cruising speed = very high "spouse acceptance factor."

Cheers everyone.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like you, I love my Maggie! Congrats on the new addition to your KR!!

RP

Quick Reply: Howdy All! New KR owner here - first impressions of my truck