King Ranch

King Ranch History...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question King Ranch History...

Ok, new guy here... and new King Ranch owner. Guess I can say that I've wanted one of these trucks since I first laid eyes on one. Priced as they are, a new one was (and still is) out of the question. I did obtain a 2001 F150 Supercrew King Ranch 4x4 at a very reasonable price. I couldn't be happier. My question to you faithful owners is this: where can I find information on the history of, and general information about the development of this truck? It is a very unique vehicle, and quite frankly, everybody here at the fire station LOVES the truck. I want to be able to ramble on and on and on about it's uniqueness. Can you help? Oh, and by the way, I will be posting pics and such as soon as I figure out this message board thing.

Your friend in a Ford,

Fireman's_KR

Old 08-02-2005, 02:49 AM
The history of the truck is a little clouded !

I can remember when I was first looking for a vehicle larger than a regular car.

It was early 2001 and we had made the decision to buy a property in the States and felt we needed to transport the usual sort of "stuff" associated with owning a house.

Thus we found ourselves at a Ford Dealer looking at a Ford Explorer...understand that at that time I knew very little about "Trucks".
They were at that time virtually an unknown thing in the UK and Europe.
I had certainly never thought of owning one but of course down in Texas was constantly surrounded by them.
(Usually with a dog in the back and driven by someone called 'Bubba' )

Anyway we had just taken the explorer for a drive when the sales manager came over and said....you guys won't believe what just came in !
And there was the first KR we ever saw in Chestnut.

Having owned nice vehicles in the UK with quality leather we were 'gobsmacked' with the interior.
We had never seen anything like it in a US vehicle.
Thus we were tempted into buying our first KR !

It's delivery to the dealer was as much a surprise to them as anyone else I think!

Of course in those early days the truck was VERY rare. No one had ever seen anything like it in a truck before.
No one could understand why a truck would be kitted out like that....I'm sure most were doubtful as to it's success.
The agreement between Ford and the King Ranch to produce it, as far as I understand, was a limited period.
I for one was uncertain if it would be extended.
However this was a period of change in the auto industry and a new breed of (truck) customer came along.
One who expected some comfort and luxury and would not necessarily use a truck for trucky things !
Then of course with the Harley and Lightning also spurring things along they became 'De riguer' (The thing to have).
That's when the agreement between Ford and the KR was extended and also when Ford stopped giving away freebies to new customers. (See previous thread)

I can remember just 4 years ago being excited when the first KR came up for sale on EBay....just run a check now and see how many there are for sale !

That's about it as far as history goes....I think between us here on the forum we know pretty much what there is to know about the subject.
Certainly more than dealers.....we have often been the ones to tell THEM what is happening.
Like for instance when our dear Modulator, Brad, found out about some Castano Leather seats that were Expedition shaped !

Sure enough the dealers knew nothing about them until I asked to request an order and 6 months later one popped up ! (Possibly the first, which I now proudly own)

Anyway on that subject I have been out of the States since March and rarely see mention of the KR Expy.....are there more about now....anyone ??

Hope all this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by Lenticular; 08-02-2005 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:05 AM
For a more in-depth look at the history of the King Ranch itself, use this link to see a short flash demo and a small write-up about the ranch whose cattle gave up their skin for our beautiful KRs...

http://www.king-ranch.com/

Old 08-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Hi Fireman,
I also bought an used King Ranch, but mine is an '03. Like you, I think my used one is just great! I found out a lot of information just going back through all the posts on this KR thread since 2001. Information like how to tell if you have a limited slip and what size differential you have, or what generation (I, II, III) is your 2001. It takes a while to read all of the posts, but they are full of knowledge. It's funny to read about the excitement of the new 2001 King Ranch when it first came out.

Maybe some of the regular posters will fill you in on some other ways to learn about your truck.

Enjoy!

Old 08-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the help. I've started with page 62 of the threads and will be working my way back to present time. Wow, what a lot of information!

Oh, by the way, got the album up and running of my 2001 King Ranch.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=6282

Hope it works...??

Shawn

Old 08-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Looks good there buddy!! I need to get some pics done and get my album up as well. Love that color too!

Shane

Old 08-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Lenny, that was a fantastic story about you KR.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Oi, Sarah !!!

You make it sound like...

A. I made it up

or

B. EErrr, I don't really know.

Anyway you could have told that story too, just as easily since as the 'Old Timers' know, you were around at that time too !!

For those that don't know, we had a sort of KR meeting several years ago.

Sarah came all the way down to Texas (OK I know she works here now) with Daveman (Where are you Boyo ?) to visit the King Ranch Store, then came all the way down to the Rio Grande Valley to meet self and wife.
I seem to remember a drive back through the night to catch a return flight somewhere !!

Sarah bought me a lovely King Ranch tankard which I now proudly display in our new house down there.

You'll have to come by again Sarah !!

We did try several times to organize another more serious meet at the King Ranch but it never came to anything.

Lots of promises but no one ever committed to it !!

Old 08-03-2005, 02:35 PM
LOL...no I really liked your story. And yes, mine is very similar because I was on a Ford lot looking for an SUV. And my then boyfriend forced me to look at trucks and I walked up to a Charcoal Blue KR and took one look at the leather and fell to me knees in love. Heck I don't even think I knew I was looking at an F-150....all I saw was the leather and the next day Tomas was ordered.

Some people reminisce about when they first met there spouse...we reminisce about when we first met our KR's.

I don't get out much...I should start, but I haven't gotten farther then telling myself I will. I have a dog now so that might help. Shoot me an email next time your going through Houston!

Old 08-03-2005, 02:50 PM
We used to keep our Truck at a friends business on Westheimer but now we avoid the 7 hours drive south and fly down to Harlingen.
We get into IAH very late on 6th September then onto HRL early on the 7th.

However when we come back to UK for a few weeks in October we will be in Houston overnight and know a nice restaurant out at the Woodlands on I45.
I'll e mail you later and you will be welcome to join us if it's not too far out.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Sounds good.

Quick Reply: King Ranch History...