King Ranch

new member from the Great White North

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new member from the Great White North

Hello All,

Just thought I'd make a quick post and say hello.

I came across this site about 2 weeks ago when I was searching for online info about the new F150's. I am in the early stages of considering a new pickup, and the King Ranch version of the F150 looks to be a beautiful vehicle.

I was hoping I could get some info in respect of a couple questions:

- I've read a lot of good reviews about the F150, but specifically about the King Ranch, do you feel the extra price represents good value over a like-equipped Lariat? The seats and trim are gourgeous, but from those that have one, is it worth the additional cost?

- I qualify for the x plan from Ford, and I'm trying to get a set understanding of what that represents. My initial understanding was that it was dealer invoice + 2%, but from what I can tell, that isn't necessarily the case. It seems to range from around .876 to .90 of MSRP. Is there a defined formula for *knowing* what the x plan price is?

Look forward to any comments and info. Hopefully I'll be a KR owner sometime in the near future! Dark Copper for me all the way!

Thanks,

Dave.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Welcome to the site.

I personally feel that the added expense of the KR is well worth it. This is my second KR. The first was a 01. It was a great truck and I traded it in on the 05 KR.

The seat, leather, take some work. You should put some leather conditioner on them to keep them soft. I just use the cream from Meguiers [spelling??] every month or so.

Also, the KR has electric folding mirrors that are great in tight spots. Like the bank drive through.

The new KR has a rear bench seat only. This I also like, since my 01 had four bucket seats with two consoles. Looks good, but a real dumb idea. The rear buckets folded down, but didn't make a flat floor to store anything on because the console was higher. Also, it was a four person vehicle, only. The 05, with the bench is five and you could probably crunch up an extra person if need be.

Anyway, as you can tell I like the KR and feel it is well worth the extra $$$.

Take care.....

Old 02-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: new member from the Great White North

Originally posted by jackpine
Hello All,

Just thought I'd make a quick post and say hello.

Hey Dave! Welcome aboard! We're glad to have you here!

- I've read a lot of good reviews about the F150, but specifically about the King Ranch, do you feel the extra price represents good value over a like-equipped Lariat? The seats and trim are gourgeous, but from those that have one, is it worth the additional cost?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Yep. I think you'll find that the vast majority (at least 99.9% of us) will tell you that it's more than worth it. Yes, it brings an extra several thousand dollar addition to the price tag but, when you're going after something like this, isn't it better to get what you want?

I've thought it was worth it twice now. 2001 and a 2005...

- I qualify for the x plan from Ford, and I'm trying to get a set understanding of what that represents. My initial understanding was that it was dealer invoice + 2%, but from what I can tell, that isn't necessarily the case. It seems to range from around .876 to .90 of MSRP. Is there a defined formula for *knowing* what the x plan price is?

I simply don't know this answer. While I know it's not what you're looking for, I can point you towards a site that shows the 'A/Z plan' price for any individual vehicle on a dealer's new lot.

Here's the link.... I don't know if that will help or not but, maybe it will...

The leather does require some work. It's not just as simple as 'hop in and hop out' like the Lariat or other F-series vehicle with leather. This leather is uncoated meaning that, unlike the Lariat or Expedition with leather, it has no clear coat protective material over the top of the leather. When your toosh hits the seat, you're on leather. In fact, unlike the Lariat, the entire seat is leather whereas a Lariat only has clear coated leather seating panels (aka: back and rear end).

The leather requires more conditioning and TLC. Like a baseball glove, if you don't pay any attention to it over several years, the leather stringing and other surfaces will start to rot and break down. Our seats aren't much different. If you let them go, they'll start to look bad. Just surf across Ebay every now and then and you're likely to see a seat or two in a used truck that looks like hell in a hand basket. Long story short, they weren't maintained.

On average, I condition around once per month. Maybe twice per month in the summer when sun and heat accelerate drying.

The KR package adds standard power-fold mirrors on the 05 whereas this isn't available on any other F-150. There are folks in the 2004/2005 forum that are in the process of figuring out how to add this to their truck though. From the looks of it, it's proving to be difficult but, I'm sure someone will get it figured out and share the wealth so that others can add it too.

Please let us know if you have any other questions! We'd be more than happy to try to help out!

RP

Old 02-06-2005, 12:32 PM
_SG
"Fleashy headed mutan, are you friendly"?

Welcome fellow Canuck (and for those of you that didn't get the title, look up Bob & Doug McKenzie).
I just bought my F150 KR last week, and glad I did. Other then the seats, I liked the folding mirrors, puddle lights, heated seats (even in North Texas), KR wheels, and in my case the dark copper & arizona beige two tune paint.

The key factor for me was when I was driving the Lariat over the weekend (dealer gave me a loaner) I asked myself if I would be 100% happy, or if somewhere in the back of my mind I would have wished I got the KR. There was a small amount of doubt, so I decided to go with the KR, and I am soooooo glad I did.

Here some pricing information:

X-Plan:
Pre-determined price based on Ford Employee ("A-Plan") price.
The X-Plan price is noted on the dealer invoice (except for Land Rover).

Here is the break down:

Ford/Mercury A-Plan + 4% + $150

My advice to you, is go to 1 dealership and speak to them about X-Plan. Get a quote. Then go to another dealership (with the quote in mind) and try and deal down. You can mention the X-Plan price to see the dealer invoice (both A and X plans will be on the dealer invoice). Speak to the sales manager or fleet manager, you'll get further faster. Try and get them to the eat the dealer holdback (roughly $1250 on the 4x4 KR) and the finance fee of about $150. I got mine for $7K under MSRP (which is lower the X-Plan price).

Obviously it depends on the budget, but if you can work it, you'll be very happy.

BTW, I didn't see the KR on Ford's Canadian website. Are selling them north of the border, or are you going to buy it in the US then import it? When I was living in Canada 5 years ago, the import needed to be 2 or more years old, or you got hammered with taxes.

_SG

Last edited by _SG; 02-06-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:04 PM
_SG,

Yeah they are selling 05 KR's up here. When "buidling and pricing" on Ford Canada's webpage, KR shows up just as an optional package as opposed to a distinct vehicle.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the positive feedback. When convincing one's self about something, it's good to talk to others who have done the same thing!

I need to give serious thought as whether I want to risk having that beautiful leather in a vehicle, as I'd be heart broken if there was an inadvertent spill or such. Does the conditioner offer protection?

I'm sure I'll have more questions and its much appreciated for the information so far.

SG - yes, they do sell the KR up here - as alumacomp mentions, it's just shown as a trim option on the Lariat when building your truck on the ford.ca website. What brought you up here anyway, ya hoser? Where'd you live? Being that you are in Texas now, I;m going to guess Alberta - Calgary, Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Ft. McMurray?

Is the dealer holdback applicable to leasing only?

RockPick - good information regarding the care of the leather. I think I read in another thread that you can buy a recommended conditioner from Ford - typically how long does it need to sit after treatment before you'd want to sit on the seats. I know my workboots get mink oil'd regularly, but I wouldn't want to rub my butt on them right afterwards!

Gearhead99 - the bench in the back is definitely a plus as compared to 2 captain's chairs - obviously they would be nice but as you say the functionality is important.

I have a feeling coming to this website was a baaaaad, baaaaad idea

Dave.

Old 02-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by jackpine
RockPick - good information regarding the care of the leather. I think I read in another thread that you can buy a recommended conditioner from Ford - typically how long does it need to sit after treatment before you'd want to sit on the seats. I know my workboots get mink oil'd regularly, but I wouldn't want to rub my butt on them right afterwards!

Actually, Ford doesn't have the conditioner in their system as a part number however; many stock it just to help out their KR patrons.

To get the KR Conditioner direct from the source (the King Ranch Saddle Shop), click here.

Dwell time will vary based on environmental conditions from my experience. I'll typically apply the conditioner by hand as I'd rather the conditioner get to the leather rather than soaking up on a towel. I'll allow it to work in over a minute or two and then I'll wipe away any excess. Further, I've noted that it seems to soak in a bit better when the leather is warm. I've gone so far as to use a hair dryer to accelerate this process (the sun works well too in the summer).

I, personally, don't use the KR conditioner but, several here do and like the results. There are an endless number of threads here in the KR forum dealing with conditioners. If you're so inclined, you may try searching within this forum using the search field at the bottom right side of the KR Forum main page. From there, you'll see that just about everything under the sun has been tried on the seats... most with very favorable results.

RP

Old 02-07-2005, 10:28 AM
_SG
The dealer hold back applied to both lease and finace options. Essentially it's paid to the dealer from the manufacture. Not sure of specifics, but it may be after the vehicle is on the lot for 90 days, but I think that may vary from manufacture.

As for my Canadian Roots, I was originally from Mississauga, ON. My dad is from Fort Francis, and my brother is a Roughneck in Northern AB.

_SG

Old 02-07-2005, 12:47 PM
hey jackpine, welcome to the site. i'm a fellow caribooer myself. lived in 100 mile for the past 3 years before moving back down here to kamloops.

go for the king ranch man. if i had the means, i would totally trade up and do it myself. hope you enjoy the site, there's so much information on here and no shortage of people willing to help, with the exception of dzervit of course, but no one takes him seriously anyway! in fact, you'd be able to look down on him as he only has a lowly lariat where you'd have the mighty king ranch!!

wasachevyguy

Quick Reply: new member from the Great White North