Power Mirror Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Mirror Switch Replacement

My toggle switch broke off and got lost so I had to buy a new mirror switch. ($15.00) My question is how do I get to the switch? Does the panel with the door lock and window switch come off? I really don't wanna hear "time to pull off the whole door panel", cause if thats the case its gonna be quite some time till that new switch is getting put in. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-24-2002, 08:56 AM
I think this is what you asked for .... from the Helm CD

Front Door Trim Panel

Removal and Installation

1.Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to «Section 414-01».

2.Remove the front door trim moulding.

3.Note:
Use the notch to remove the component.

Remove the interior door handle finish panel.

4.If equipped, remove the window regulator switch plate (14524).

1Lift the front of the window regulator switch plate.

2Disconnect the electrical connectors.

That should give you access to the switch.

Old 04-24-2002, 10:27 PM
I just ripped and tore some and she came right off. Very easy, guess I just needed to pull more.

Old 04-25-2002, 06:19 PM
My switch isn't working either. So the panel where the switch is located (also where the window switches are), you just pull up on, I assume. I guess it has some fasteners that just pop out.

Old 05-05-2002, 05:15 AM
Hey guys,

I've got a 97 with power everything. My mirror direction control switch broke a few months ago. Here's how to replace it.

The plastic trim that holds the mirror control, window control, and door lock control ( or whatever controls are present on your rig)
is held in with clips.

if you pull up on it, it will snap out, and you can disconnect all the quick-connects going to the various switches. (don't worry, all of the quick connects fit in only one socket, so you don't have to label them or anything!)

The mirror control is also held in with clips, and can be removed from the plastic trim. The new one just snaps in.

Hope this helps!
~Julien

Old 05-07-2002, 10:15 AM
Slightly off-topic:

I have a 98 xcab with no power mirrors. I might eventually go to the junkyard and see if I can scrounge a set of power mirrors off of a junked truck. The question is this: is the wiring in place for power mirrors on trucks not equipped for it, or would this require fully wiring the darned thing (and thus make it not really worth the hassle).

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-07-2002, 03:03 PM
Just switched out my switch and I now have working mirrors. Yea!!!

Old 05-09-2002, 11:33 PM
I have thought the same thing too, I thought I could wire in a remote keyless real easy because the wiring should already be there, well it isnt. from what I can tell this is how it works and Ford assembly employees can varify or deny:

I think Ford decides to make a white XLT with no power mirrors but power everything else with a 5.4 4x4 tow package etc... ( you get where I am going with this) They dont wire in anything that "could" go in only what the truck gets and after the day or days or weeks of building that model-style-type of truck they go off and do a different one. So the short answer is Ford makes a very specific model and does not put unneccesary parts in.

I also thought I could wire up some heated mirrors easy and it wasnt the case. I believe you can get some aftermarket or OEM power mirrors that would have all instructions and would be easier than guessing on a junkyard mirror set, that is if you can find a new body style truck that hasnt been recycled.

Quick Reply: Power Mirror Switch Replacement