Dash Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dash Rattle

2000 F-150 and I have a dash rattle on the passengers side towards the top. Sounds like wiring or one of the plastic wiring clips hitting. Is there any easy way to got to this area? How about the large oval plate on the top of the dash? Any ideas? Thank you.

Old 03-07-2002, 01:57 AM
The large oval on top of the dash just pops out. Good luck finding the rattle.

Old 03-10-2002, 10:12 AM
You wont find it nor will your dealer.

Ive tied everything down, Ive put foam in places to keep things from moving. Its still there.

Old 03-14-2002, 01:33 AM
I assume that you might have the same rattle? Sounds like might be right under top of dash or on top of the air bag? Sounds like one of the plastic clips for the wiring. Did you pop out the large oval on top of the dash? It is getting louder and driving me nuts!

Old 03-14-2002, 09:16 PM
man i got the same rattle.... drivin me freakin nuts over here too.... i turn up the radio and yet somehow i can still hear the damn thing lol.... first i thought it was the door inside.... cuz i started pulling on the pocket thingy inside the door and it made that damn noise.... i thought i might be in the dash too .... im just dumbfounded..... has anyone else tried the door thing? jsut kinda pull on it allitle ... it makes that noise ... i almost think thats it .. but who knows..... the search continues...... lol

Old 03-15-2002, 11:34 AM
If it makes the sound when pulling on the door pocket or pushing on the speaker grill, you have the same sound I did. The door panel edge does not completely contact the steel door; there are little plastic "bumps" that make the contact. My noise was caused by these bumps moving against the door. I squirted a LITTLE white lithium grease on those spots to verify, and the sound went away! I plan come up with a longer lasting lubrication for those places soon, but haven't gotten around to it yet. What's aggravating is it took me 3 years to figure it out!

Scott

Old 03-15-2002, 03:30 PM
I don't know if that is my problem. I'm going to check tho. Mines sounds like, from the drivers seat, that it is right around the corner of the dash, maybe right above the air bag. It is getting worse and it REALLY BUGS me. In fact it is taking the fun out of my truck.

Old 03-15-2002, 04:06 PM
cool man... i think im gonna try that this weekend...... its kinda hard to find out where it really is comin from when your drivin.... im all leanin over to hear where it comin from and im swervin all over the place ...lol... but yeah im pretty sure if i take care of the door thing itll be a nice quiet ride

Old 03-15-2002, 06:01 PM
I'm pretty sure my rattle is inside that oval on top of the passenger side. I can reach over and tap it and it goes away. I took the panel off and didn't see much. Now I'm going to take it off again, remove the headlight sensor, leave the panel off and drive a few days. That will tell me if it's the panel, sensor, sensor mount, or someplace else altogether.

Old 03-15-2002, 06:33 PM
Thats where it sounds like to me but I'm going to try the door first as it is easier. How does that oval come off? I pulled on it a little but it did not budge and I don't want to break it or WORSE CREATE ANOTHER RATTLE!

Old 03-16-2002, 07:07 AM
It just pops right out. only held by plastic clips. I think that it simply doesn't seat tight enough and the vibration between the dash and this cover is causing the rattle. We'll see.

Old 03-16-2002, 03:16 PM
rattle or squeak fix

My friends 150 had a rattle under the oval took sometime to find it.
We took a drive I sat in passenger side with the oval off.
I had some foam (not the spray stuff) 1\4 inch I also had a putty knife started packing it around everything turns out the rattle was by the windshield behind the oval preyed it up a little and stuffed some foam and rattle or squeak went away and has never came back.
Dog

Old 03-17-2002, 12:59 AM
I tried to remove the oval but seems awful tight. You just pull up? My rattle too seems to be between the oval and the windhield.

Old 03-18-2002, 02:43 AM
Yes pull on it they are tight but pull hard.
dog

Old 04-26-2002, 05:01 PM
Its between the oval and the windshield, and it sounds like a BB in a 2cm space rolling, bouncing around, and its ANNOYING AS HELL....

I tried everything, foam, tie straping everything down, doesnt go away. Its temp sensitive too. In 21-29F, it doent. From 32 to 41, its LOUD.

Quick Reply: Dash Rattle