Dog smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dog smell

So I have a Ford Fusion SE and my dog loves taking rides in it and sticking his head out of the sunroof. He has been doing this for over a year now. Can anyone tell me how I can get the dog smell and hair out of my car. I have tried the vacuum and febreeze but I can still get the smell of dog in there.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My dad used to swear by placing opened bars of soap in the car-said it absorbs the oder.IDK. Just put about 4 bars of Irish Spring on the floor/seats and leave them there for a few days, it's cheap.

The hair-good luck!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 AM
I have two black Labs and they shed like crazy. Luckily I have black leather interior in my truck, but the carpets still trap a lot of hair.

I usually grab a lint roller and go to town on the carpet and after several sheets I have a lot of it up. I use them all the time on my couches which are light brown (terrible idea with black dogs...) It can get expensive over time, but it does the trick.

As for the smell, you can try sticking a box of baking soda in there for a while, don't know how well it would work in the cab but it does the trick for the fridge and freezer. You can also try some carpet cleaning powder for pet odors that you can get near the air fresheners at Wal-Mart or Target and shop vac it up.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try the ozium air sanitizer spray that they sell at walmart. It killed my moldy smell that my truck randomly developed.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Latex gloves or balloons work for dog hair

Old 03-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just vacuuming and using air freshener will only help for a short time. Once the air freshener wears off you're back to stink.

The only way is to get to the source and remove it. More than likely the dog smell is coming from your seats and floor. Use proper cleaners and methods and just scrub the crap out of everything. Several times, if you need. Once everything has been scrubbed and cleaned properly, then use air freshener.

What kind of seats/floor do you have? Cloth seats and carpet floor?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Steam cleaner... I spilt a bottle of milk on my seat the first week I owned my truck... It made it like I had never happened.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:10 PM
steam clean it , look for a product called odorban they use to sell it at sam's club it works really well .If you can find it ,and put some in the rinse water of the steam cleaner it will eliminate the pet smell and prevent it from coming back for good while its about $8 a gallon.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Duct tape works great for pulling dog hair out of the carpets!! I have a yellow lab and a german shorthair, both have been banned from the interiors of my vehicles

Old 07-06-2011, 02:37 PM
I've found that dryer sheets/fabric softener sheets work pretty good, just throw a few in and leave them there for a week or so

Old 07-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I used to do fire and water restoration and have a lot of experience in this area. Your best bet is to find a local carpet cleaning place and rent an Ozone generator, or make your own if you prefer. This is the only guarantee at removing the smell, but be careful, it will remove all smells and can damage some things as well. Just do some research before using it.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Boat interiors hold odors and I have had some luck with dryer sheets and bars of scented soap. I agree that you need to do a thorough cleaning first. I used to have a pair of dalmatians that shed like crazy. Lint rollers were my favorite quick solution. The shop vac was the best solution. Clean it up, place a bar of scented soap or dryer sheets under the seats and let it air out as much as possible. Steve M.

Quick Reply: Dog smell