97-03 radio removal tool

Old 02-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
walmart had it in stock.

SCOSCHE PART NUMBER FDK106 $10.73
the guy at walmart noticed i was buying it and asked what i was up to. when i told him it was for a f150, he asked if i was looking for a radio removal tool. i told him i was using a hanger. he said they had been sold out of the removal tools for a while, and probably werent getting any more any times soon, but that he has had good experiences using nails. so i will try that too just for ****s and grins

I got the connector spliced in and taped up.

its 12F and windy, and im too lazy to move my wifes car out of the garage to pull the truck in, so im gonna go work on getting the oem stereo out with a coat hanger i cut into 2 pieces. guess ill be working with the truck on and the heat on lol.

tonight when i get ready to do the rest of the install ill pull it into the garage. the low tonight is 3F.

once i figure out the method of how to do it, ill record a short video just for kicks.

Last edited by speepdaedeesi; 02-28-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:38 PM
well i tried to remove the radio with a coat hanger... got one side loose, but the other side wont budge.

then i realized i hadnt even googled it.

check this out. - http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/213/45/

it helps to see the clips like that so now i know the hanger doesnt have to go in so far. i was jabbing it in there way to far, which is why i think i couldnt get it out

im gonna try it again after i eat dinner. tonights steak night!

**********ok got it out. the pass. side bottom clip took some manhandling, but it came loose.

the wiring adapter doesnt fit. im not sure whats up with that..im gonna mess with it in the morning. its movie night with the wifey.

walmart doesnt have the connecter and best buy is sold out...
to be continued for now..

found the right adapter.

part # 70-1771

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250379494686

7 bucks with shipping. and comes with a free gift.....

Last edited by speepdaedeesi; 03-01-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by speepdaedeesi
im gonna try it again after i eat dinner. tonights steak night!
lol, i didnt know you updated your last post, so i was thinking....man, that's one big steak for things to take that long. lol

..im gonna mess with it in the morning. its movie night with the wifey.
movie night & steak night is the same night? lol. what movie did you see?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
lol, i didnt know you updated your last post, so i was thinking....man, that's one big steak for things to take that long. lol

movie night & steak night is the same night? lol. what movie did you see?
steak night is once a week, and she usually does it on either fri, sat, or sun.

movie night is sat.

we watched " thick as thieves". pretty good movie. looked decent on my laptop, but was a cam vid so wasnt the best.

im waiting on that wiring adapter, and also im going to look into getting a cutting wheel for my craftsman rotary cutting tool.

believe it or not they dont sell the cutting wheel at SEARS, for my mode. guess what? its a SEARS BEST-CRAFTSMAN.

so i dunno, maybe ill be able to use a dremel brand cutting wheel?

================================================== =========================

ok its not letting me make new posts in this thread, probably because i posted so much in it.

ok i got it done. i found i can use dremel bits with my craftsman rotary, so i got a 50pc set at the px for 15 bucks. went through two cutting wheels.

i wont have pics until this weekend, but it fits pretty good. the used stereo itself sits a little crooked. just the way its built i guess. its old and crappy so i cant complain.

this is what i had to cut...

the outer peice you have to take off to get the stereo out.. this is the oval peice with the ac vents in it... you need to cut the top of the radio opening out. you might need to cut more or less than i did depending on your double din and how it sits.

i cut about a 1/4 inch off. its not perfectly straight, but its straight enough that it looks good.

on the inside, when you look into your radio cavity, youll notice a plastic peice right inside on the top that is blocking the double din. youll need to trim a half inch out of that, and theres tab s behind it that also have to come out. its a lot of trimming. wear safety glasses and expect plastic to fly everywhere lol. at least it did for me. i trimmed a little off at a time, as my cutting wheel is kinda small.

the last 2 peices to trim are the inner plastic peices on each side. youll know when you look in what im talking about. i only cut out one side, because having the other side still there allowed the radio to fit really snug, so i didnt have to use the mounting plates on it. i just slid it right in and it stays in place nicely. i guess trim isnt the right word... you actually need to cut the whole peice out.

im pretty happy with it. the radio itself could be better, and i could have taken more time on the install (it took me 15 mins total), but im happy with it.

i think for my first time using a dremel, i did ok. i think its a little intimidating to think about modifying the dash to get it to fit, but im a beginner at dremeling, and it was a peice of cake for me, so you can do it too!

ill post pics this weekend.

oh i got my aftermarket bed extender put in also

Last edited by speepdaedeesi; 03-05-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:57 PM
before

after

i need to sand the upper part of the outer trim peice... it looks pretty bad in the pic but its not noticable at all when your in the truck. i couldnt get my dremel to cut it 100% straight.

overall it was amazingly easy.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:15 PM
looks good...but the pieces inside the dash that you have to trim, if you take them out, will you be able to put a reagualr aftermarket radio in it (single din) later on? or are they just extra plastic that doesnt do anything?

Old 03-09-2009, 01:06 AM
seems like i didnt have to cut as much as you did. maybe b/c your screen looks bigger than what i was installing. i had a 6.5" screen.

i had the cut the "sub-dash" the part of the dash that slants behind the radio. and then on the black brace (that surrounds the radio/HVAC controls) the bar between the radio & HVAC *****. then found i had to do a little trimming on the top part of that brace so the unit would slide in. i didnt use the plastic brackets either, as it fits pretty snug. you can see the black surround im talking about in this pic.

here's what mind looked like. i wasnt finished putting everything back together, but i just wanted to see what it was going to look like.

thing that sucks for me is that i have to rip everything out again. dvd player doesnt accept CD/DVD's. luckily the girl i bought it from is going to give me back my money. i just ordered a panasonic unit on ebay, so ill see how that goes.

but speepdaedeesi, your install looks good. and like you, i was amazed at how fast everything was. i thought it was going to take me a while. lol

Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
seems like i didnt have to cut as much as you did. maybe b/c your screen looks bigger than what i was installing. i had a 6.5" screen.

i had the cut the "sub-dash" the part of the dash that slants behind the radio. and then on the black brace (that surrounds the radio/HVAC controls) the bar between the radio & HVAC *****. then found i had to do a little trimming on the top part of that brace so the unit would slide in. i didnt use the plastic brackets either, as it fits pretty snug. you can see the black surround im talking about in this pic.

here's what mind looked like. i wasnt finished putting everything back together, but i just wanted to see what it was going to look like.

thing that sucks for me is that i have to rip everything out again. dvd player doesnt accept CD/DVD's. luckily the girl i bought it from is going to give me back my money. i just ordered a panasonic unit on ebay, so ill see how that goes.

but speepdaedeesi, your install looks good. and like you, i was amazed at how fast everything was. i thought it was going to take me a while. lol
what brand is that one? and did you like it (besides the problem with the cd/dvds not getting accepted)?

Old 03-09-2009, 05:13 AM
the one i have is a Dual brand. it was nice. i heard people talking about "lag time" (i guess when the unit is starting up) but this one didnt have any. there was a delay while the unit was shutting off.

oh speepdaedeesi, how is the unit you purchased? you like it?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:30 AM
i really dont like my unit. the interface is outdated.. when your listening to the radio its just a plain blue screen with some oldschool font letters that say the station. its too plain. also every time you hit a button it beeps loudly. its just an outdated unit.

you can find it if you search ebay for EONON

thats the brand.

what i found out later, after i bought it was that it can be had for around 210 new shipped. theres an updated model of this radio, thats touchscreen, with bluetooth, and a better interface (like an iphone) thats only around 230.

im going to put mine on ebay and sell it, and buy the better one...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

but on another note, i see you didnt have to cut yours as much. it looks good. ill be more happy with mine once i sand it down, and get a better unit.

mine was a 7'' screen so i guess thats why i had to trim the outer peice.

im going to buy a new outer peice at the junkyard so i have a spare.

also, the question someone asked about installing a regular din later.. you shouldnt have any problems, but i havent tried it.

im not sure why you would want to go back to a reg din after installing a double din screen anyways, just dont spend like a grand on a unit, and you can afford to let it go with the truck when you sell it, and itll be a great selling point.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:11 AM
i really dont like my unit. the interface is outdated..
that sucks, sorry to hear that you dont like it. i had some problems of my own too.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...e-no-luck.html

i ended up buying a panasonic unit off ebay. nice thing is, i already had a panasonic CD player from an old car, so i should be able to reuse teh ipod controller

but i found several pioneer/panasonic units for right around $300 on ebay. some were refurbished, but some new. the panasonic unit i got is supposed to be brand new.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sooo, speepdaedeesi why did u cut the actual top of the vent trim piece above the radio? imho, thats ugly. i installed a dbl din in my 02 (2 of em actually) and it didnt require all that. and i think it was mentioned, but there's an expedition dash kit that can be used. but, i took a single din kit cut it up & made my own.

there's how big i made my cutout

end product #1. this was a manual open screen from the top (like a V)

end product #2, and whats still in there.

its not a hard process, for anybody else having questions i could try to help. i'm no master installer but its not that difficult

Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by willys5555
what brand is that one? and did you like it (besides the problem with the cd/dvds not getting accepted)?
there's a sticker in the first pic

Old 03-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by fdimeroller
there's a sticker in the first pic
haha there sure is...i didnt see it the first time

Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 AM
speepdaedeesi, i dont mean to hi jack your thread, but i was just wondering some things. what parts of the kit did you use?

on the Dual unit i had in, i was able to use one of the 2 trim rings supplied. but i didnt have to use the plastic "plates" that they included in the kit (and said to install on the side of the radio).

but with this Panasonic unit i just got, i didnt use any of the trim rings. i am only using the plastic "plates". i tried putting the trim ring on to fill in the space next to the radio & the bezel, but it will not go over the unit itself. so i trimmed the top part off & bolted it in. then it still wouldnt let it close b/c it was hitting the bottom part of the trim. so i trimmed that off too. but when i just put the sides in to use it as a filler, it wouldnt sit straight. so i just left it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97-03 radio removal tool