97-03 radio removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
back to the point of the thread lol.

talked to a guy on another forum.

he said i need this install kit- Metra 95-5818 dash kit. i googled it and found it for 15 or so bucks with shipping included, but its out of stock and backordered.

i found it on ebay for around 20 with shipping.

i noticed in the description this included the "parts needed for installing a double din head unit", and i see some sort of mounts in the pic.

im going to take a look at what they have at walmart, but if it doesnt come with those mounts ill just buy it online.

also guy says i need to do some dremmel work to the sub-dash.

i have no idea what the sub dash is, but im waiting on a response from him.

ill start a new thread on it, titled HOW TO- double din install 97-03
or something like that. but like i said, have some patience, because i havent ordered the install kit yet (want to go by walmart first), and havent looked at wiring harnesses either, and im still waiting on the radio in the mail.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
just said f it and ordered the kit on ebay.

heres the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

and heres the pic of the parts. notice the mounts.
also i was thinking, and the install kit at walmart is probably for a reg size radio, and has the little storage compartment, and really isnt made to be used for a double din.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
theres a support that drops down about 3 inches into the dash or so that your stock radio slides on...i've never installed a double din but would guess that that is the piece that you have to dremel

Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 PM
yea because this is going to be a "custom" install, you wont find the install hardware at walmart. but you can still get the wiring harness there and the removal tool things.

im glad your doing this also cause i LOVE the way these double din screens look but havent been able to find detailed instructions on what needs to be trimmed and that sort of stuff. so if you do a write up on how to do it, that would be amazing.

also, what screen did you buy? there are some that are rediculous expensive and i just cant justify spending that much on a screen in my truck. but i have heard bad things about the cheap ones. let us know what you think about what ever screen it is once you get it installed.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by willys5555
also, what screen did you buy? there are some that are rediculous expensive and i just cant justify spending that much on a screen in my truck. but i have heard bad things about the cheap ones. let us know what you think about what ever screen it is once you get it installed.
this is the screen i got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EONON-E626-7-LCD...QQcmdZViewItem

i dont believe in paying too much for things.

dont get me wrong, yes i will spend when quality matters.. take my $300 tomtom navi unit.... being in the military i drive from TX to NY so that was a must..

but an in dash stereo? yeah im gonna cheap out bro.

especially if its a double din.

reason why (yes your reasons might vary so dont flame me for being a cheap ***)...

i didnt need any bells and whistles. i would never buy a head unit to use for nav. i have a dedicated nav unit for that. yes i know its more convienient to have your head unit do it, but i cant tell you how many of my friends were pissed when my tomtom got them closer to where they needed to go than their $1500 in dash motorized screen they just bought.

i dont need bluetooth.. i dont have a bluetooth headset for my phone, dont really want one.. its illegal to drive and talk here in ny so a bluetooth is a must for some... but my drive to work is 7 minutes...

my main reason for getting this was to have a main unit to run video to either headrest screens, or a drop down, for my son, who rides in a carseat in the back.... and to have something in the front for my wife to watch for roadtrips.

theres no way im gonna spend any more than 250 on a headunit. period.

reason i went with doubledin is they look a little more stock, and also theres no motorized flip out to break on me.

so yeah its all up to you. im sure theres plenty of guys who bought brand new pioneers that crapped out on them, but poineer is a huge company and its probably pretty easy to get a repair or replacement.

a small cheapie company might not be so easy.. so keep that in mind.

anyways.. its still not here yet.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM
haha i do agree on not spending money on a head unit like that. i want it to sound good but having a screen isnt worth spending $1000 on. lol

but you trust ordering off ebay from a company from "HONG KONG, HONG KONG, Hong Kong"? i never order out of the country on ebay...too many scams...especially from china...and a place with hong kong three times?! i hope it comes in but seems a little fishy to me.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:42 PM
thats why you buy with paypal.

if you dont get what you paid for, or dont get anything at all, you open a dispute. you can get your money back easily.

i know from experience, i bought a texas flag from a guy and he never shipped it, and wouldnt return my emails.

had my money back through paypal quick.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
good news. my wife just checked the mail.

i got the install kit today. and it says really big on the instructions - MINOR MODIFICATION NECESSARY - must modify the sub-dash.

so thats awesome, the instructions should show me step by step. i will post pics of the instructions, and pics of the process, and make a how to.

should i start a new thread for it?

hopefully i get the radio.

oh and i must add.. i didnt get the radio from hongkong company. i bought it used from a guy in canada.

same model tho.

hopefully it comes tomorrow or sat.

i will probably start the modification of the sub dash sat. morning... and also install my aftermarket bed extender.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 PM
alright thats good. hope it comes in man and cant wait to see the progress of it. good luck.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 PM
ok i got a tracking number on it. guy i bought it from is in canada. its at the canada/ny border in customs waiting to be picked up by usps.

cant wait.

ill be doing the dash tomorrow hopefully.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 PM
ok i opened the bag for the kit... and im gonna wait until the radio comes in the mail before i cut the sub dash. i want to make sure im cutting just enough to get it to fit.

but in the meantime..

heres the instructions... i will take pics of them as well so it will include the pics on the instructions.

METRA DOUBLE DIN KIT PART NUMBER- 95-5818

FITS-
F150 97-03 AND 04 HERITAGE EDITION
NAVIGATOR 97-02
BLACKWOOD 01-03

NOTE- Major sub dash modifiations are necessary to use this dash kit. You will need to trim the sub dash to gain suitable height and depth.

TOOLS REQUIRED- dremel or suitable cutting tool, small flat blade screwdriver, panel removal tool, socket wrench, stock radio removal keys (metra part number 86-5618)

(i am going to attempt this without the stock radio removal keys. im going to use a coat hanger. i will provide details on exactly how i get them to work and the trial and error involved. im also not using a panel removal tool, as the outer panel just pops off)

1. Disconnect negative battery terminal to prevent accidental short-out.

2. Unclip and remove the panel surrounding the stock radio.

3. using the metra 86-5618 removal keys (im using a coat hanger) slide the radio out of the cavity. Unplug and remove the radio.

4. Remove the (4) 7mm screws at the sides of the factory climate control and remove the factory climate control.

5. Cut and remove the obstructions at the dash cavity (sub dash). Be careful not to cut into harnesses or electrical components.

6. Attach the double din brackets (2) to the new unit using the screws supplied with the unit (hope my used one comes with screws, but i bet it doesnt)

7. Slide the new radio into the modified sub dash until it clicks into place.

8. Attach the appropriate double din trim plate (came with 2 in the kit) using the top 2 screw positions on the climate control.

9. Locate the factory wiring harness in the dash. Metra recommends using the proper mating adapter (hoping they have one in stock at walmart or best buy because i still havent bought one yet). Locate and isolate any unused wires and tape off to prevent accidental short circuit.

10. Reconnect the negative battery terminal and test the unit for proper operation.

11. Position the factory bracket/aftermarket radio assembly into the dash and secure using factory hardware.

12. Secure the new radio housing into the sub dash using factory hardware.

13. Reassemble the rest of the dash in reverse order of disassembly.

STOCK RADIO WIRING COLOR CHART

RED- 12V IGNITION/ACC
YELLOW- 12V BATT/MEMORY
BLACK- GROUND *****
BLUE- POWER ANTENNA
BLUE/WHITE- AMP TURN ON
BLACK/WHITE- AMP GROUND
ORANGE- ILLUMINATION
ORANGE/WHITE- DIMMER
GRAY- RIGHT FRONT (+)
GRAY/BLACK- RIGHT FRONT (-)
WHITE- LEFT FRONT (+)
WHITE/BLACK- RIGHT FRONT (-)
VIOLET- RIGHT REAR (+)
VOILET- RIGHT REAR (-)
GREEN- LEFT REAR (+)
GREEN- LEFT REAR (-)

****** IF NO BLACK GROUND WIRE IS PRESENT, GROUND THE NEW RADIO TO VEHICLE CHASSIS

Old 02-27-2009, 10:53 PM
is the "sub dash" the towards the top fo the dash (towards the windshield)? i was at the junkyard a couple days ago since i found out the part of the dash that the radio bezel clips into had broken plastic. so i was looking at the dash and i think i know what part to cut.

you know speepdaedeesi, i picked up a dual touchscreen unit from my local craigslist. i agree with you on i could spend that much on a headunit, so im going to try this out....maybe eventually get a higher end model. but now, all im waiting on is the kit. i hope it comes soon. i figure when im ready to install everything, i can swap out the dash parts that i got from the junkyard, so all the clips will actually be functional again.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:40 AM
looking at the pic, it is the top part.

THE RADIO JUST CAME IN THE MAIL!

install starts tonight.

im hopefully going to find a wiring adapter locally today so i can make sure it works before i begin.

ill keep you updated

Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by willys5555
haha i do agree on not spending money on a head unit like that. i want it to sound good but having a screen isnt worth spending $1000 on. lol

but you trust ordering off ebay from a company from "HONG KONG, HONG KONG, Hong Kong"? i never order out of the country on ebay...too many scams...especially from china...and a place with hong kong three times?! i hope it comes in but seems a little fishy to me.
just saw this...

the LOCATION is hong kong.

the sellers store is called ultimate dealz electronics.

they have a star rating and 98.2% positive feedback.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...:feedback:2:us

Old 02-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by speepdaedeesi
THE RADIO JUST CAME IN THE MAIL!
install starts tonight.
im hopefully going to find a wiring adapter locally today so i can make sure it works before i begin.
ill keep you updated
im sure you can get one at walmart. worst case best buy. good luck with the install

Quick Reply: 97-03 radio removal tool