SCrew window regulator problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCrew window regulator problems.

I guess this is the most appropriate forum category so here goes...

Has anyone had any issues with Super Crew rear door window regulators breaking?

Right around mid january this year I came out of my house to find the driver side rear window half open and it appeared to have fallen off is track (not knowing there was no track). I thought I'd pull open the door and investigate and found that the cable system used by Ford grenaded or broke or whatever cause the cable was everywhere inside the door. Took it to the dealer to have it repaired. They checked, no recalls TSBs, etc.

About a month ago the right rear window regulator also broke in the same manner. Last time I was recovering from surgery so i was only able to open it up. This time I replaced the regulator myself which saved me about $350 in labor, friggin thieves!!! (the regulator was only like $125 I think)

So to reiterate, has any one had this same problem occur? Does anyone know of recalls? TSBs? My truck had about 48K the first time ad about 50K (miles) the second time. Its an 04 F150 Crew..

Thanks
(Personnaly I'd write this up to poor design. There are four plastic peices that hold the actual glass in place and anchor the regulator cables. one of these plastic peices broke and the cable went everywhere)

Old 06-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Window Regulator breaking!

Well you're not alone there buddy. I also own a 04 F150 and I had the front two window regulators replaced by the dealership when I was under warranty (< 36000mi). First one broke on 6/19/06, the second on 7/18/06, the third on 6/21/07 and the fourth regulator just broke yesterday (6/24/07; note just days after I had the 3rd one replaced)!!!!

Ford even recognizes it was a bad regulator design and they already have a part to fix it with but it doesn't constitute a recall. What really tees me off is that they wouldn't fix all four of the regulators once the first one broke for free! I was charged 132.14 for the regulator and 117.021 for labor for a total of 268.51. FYI, you can buy these regulators on most Ford parts sites for about 82 bucks!

Now I'm just thinking about fixing the fouth regulator assembly myself....

- Jason

Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 PM
What were the symptoms of the window before they crapped out permanently? Right now my driver side window is acting up. To put the window up sometimes I have to hit the button twice as it will not work when I hit it the first time. Should be under warranty so I may take it in to them to see what they say.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by yng05supercrew
What were the symptoms of the window before they crapped out permanently? Right now my driver side window is acting up. To put the window up sometimes I have to hit the button twice as it will not work when I hit it the first time. Should be under warranty so I may take it in to them to see what they say.

I dropped my 06 off at the dealer on Friday for the same reason. They claim they replaced the switch it seems to be fine now.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:56 PM
For me, there realy wasn't any symptoms present prior to the failure. Of course they were the rear two glasses and I hardly ever use them. Even after the first one went I ran the other rear glass through its entire range just as a precaution and found nothing wrong (sound, speed, etc.)

jasondrums: what site did you find those regulators for $82? That sounds like a 'list' price. I'd like to know so if there is any other parts I need I can get them at a savings...
Also, did the dealer/Ford mention what was the "recognized problem" that was fixed? Is/was there a redesign of the reg unit? If so, I want to make sure I got the "redesigned" unit and not another one that'll fail again.

yng05supercrew & n20pony: That sounds more like an electrical problem than a (mechanical) regulator problem. I used to live in a rather wet/rainy climate and I like to crack the window open for fresh air, rain or shine. In doing so, moisture would fall on the arm rest and sometimes the window switch would stick/not work for a little while. Anyways, sounds more like a bad connection, maybe a bad motor. When you try to roll-up/down the window, heard a grinding sound and metal type whipping coming from inside the door, not to mention the window will rest at half-open, thats a good indication that the regulator mechanism failed...

Old 06-28-2007, 04:02 PM
One by one I have had all four window regulators go out on my 04 Screw. And one by one trip to the dealer. Thankfully they have been covered under the warranty. In all cases there was no warning. I'd go outside and find one of them in the down position... broken. To my knowledge there is no TSB on these even though it is a known issue.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by MntCruiser
One by one I have had all four window regulators go out on my 04 Screw. And one by one trip to the dealer. Thankfully they have been covered under the warranty. In all cases there was no warning. I'd go outside and find one of them in the down position... broken. To my knowledge there is no TSB on these even though it is a known issue.

When did you have them replaced? or how many miles you have on your truck? Do you have an extended warranty?

I'm passed the mileage and the years of the warranty but if i could have gotten them done under warranty and the dealer didn't mention it, I'd going to be upset.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:33 PM
oh, just some advice....

If any of you do decide to replace the regulator yourself, its not all that hard. Takes about an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Other than parts, you'll need a flathead and philips screwdriver, 3 sockets (forgot the sizes) small and medium ratchetts, and thats about it...

... the advice: get an air ratchet! some of the bolts are really long. Takes forever to do them by hand. Air is our friend!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Anyone have a link for parts? My dads 04 F150 pass side window regulator just broke. Such a stupid design!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by BuyAmerican
When did you have them replaced? or how many miles you have on your truck? Do you have an extended warranty?

I'm passed the mileage and the years of the warranty but if i could have gotten them done under warranty and the dealer didn't mention it, I'd going to be upset.
I have 50,00 miles right now. They all broke between 30 and 45K. Yes I have the extended warranty to it was not an issue. On tow of the windows it broke the cabling also. From what I know, they will not replace the regulators unless the unit does fail. There isn't a TSB on them.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Mine broke before I drove it off the lot when I bought it.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 PM
My switches are going out in various locations and to top it off, now my driver's window is having the cable problem. I could go on and on about the repairs I have had to this POS.

Quick Reply: SCrew window regulator problems.