Driver side leather seat wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Leather Care

Hey all here's some FYI I got from my boot maker (shoe cobbler)
For years we have been using saddle soap on all our saddles and such but it never seemed to do the job of keeping it looking new.
Well one day we were in to see the cobbler and the subject was brought up. He informed me that there is only 1 product to use on leather. It is called LEXOL the main reason being it has lanolin in it. Since I have started using this leather treatment I have not had one prob with anything leather I own. I have only been using it 1 1/2 yrs now so far so good. This gentleman that informed me of this has worked with leather all his life he really makes some wonderful goods including custom leather work. I have seen a lot of his work it is really amazing. I'm not saying he is completely right but, I happen to value his opion when it comes to leather. You can buy LEXOL at some shoe stores or most farm co-ops. It come in sizes from a pint to a gallon. Info on this may already be posted somewhere else as I have not read this whole discussion. This man's name is Bo Riddle and he's located in Batesville AR, his web site is down or I would have posted his info. If anybody is interested in custom seats or anything I higly reccomend him, you can see a little of his work on Alan Jackson's feet as well as Brooks and Dunn to name a couple. Hope this can help somebody.

Old 06-06-2002, 03:52 PM
Looks like many of you are missing the characteristics of leather. Leather will wrinkle, in high stress points. Think of it this way...look at you tennis shoes. Your tennis shoes begin to wrinkle immediately after putting them on.

I read a post early on in the discussion stating "used Eagle One Leather Cleaner and Conditioner every couple of months but the seats still looked pretty bad after a couple of years". In my opinion, you are making two mistakes here 1) not treating the leather enough. 2) using crap product. I treat my leather at least every other week, and use Lexol Leather Conditioner. I have had my truck for almost a year now, and they still look great. The leather is soft and flexible.

I do wish that Ford would have offered an option upgrade to the type of leather, like "baseball glove" type leather. Similiar to the F150 Harley Davidson Edition, for all models.

Old 06-09-2002, 02:02 AM
leather wear

Superdutymn, I agree with you in that leather is
supposed to wrinkle, and also that it must be conditioned reguarly with good conditioner. The leather in the HDavidson is "nudo" leather, that's
the same as all supercrews, and 2002(maybe 01 also
) superduty's. It much better leather-softer and
much more consistent between panels in look and feel. The King Ranch is the one with the "baseball" like leather. It is untreated leather
(unusual in a veh. of any type) and is extremely
soft and supposed to be very durable. It smells
fantastic, but being untreated, is apt to stain
easily.

Old 06-13-2002, 02:40 PM
Leather sounds like too much trouble. I think I'll stick with cloth.

Old 06-30-2002, 07:35 PM
Talking Yeh - But it's cheap

The leather cover on the bottom seat is pretty cheap. I think it's about 50-75 bucks or so. I can't remember but it's pretty cheap.

My supercrew has 50 K miles on it and I replaced it once under warranty.

Generally the bottom drivers side is what get's the wear - Not a problem to swap out really.

I'd rather have a cheap cover that wears out ever 50k and is easy to replace than a High Quality Leather one that costs 300.00 and lasts 60k.

Old 07-18-2002, 04:13 PM
Talking You may want to consider seat covers

You may want to go the easiest and most inexpensive route by getting seat covers - not only to cover the current unsighlty car seats but to avoid continual wear and tear. I ordered custom seat covers for my '00 Lightning Short Bed and they fit perfectly, match my interior perfectly and protect my seats like a champ. They are a denim material, not that cheap looking wool crap. I got them from www.seatcoversdirect.com You should also keep on the dealer's butt about things - make sure you get your money's worth from them!

Quick Reply: Driver side leather seat wear