"clear coated" leather?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"clear coated" leather?

Are all Ford lariat seats "clear coated" seats?

I have an '04 Lariat w/Black Leather...what shall I use for cleaning and conditioning?

Old 12-17-2003, 07:04 AM
Yes, I do believe that the later model (2001+) Lariats have seats that are clear-coated leather. I used Meguiars but was not totally impressed. RockPick recommended Lexol in THIS THREAD and I must agree that it works very well. I found it at Pep Boys. The only drawback was that you have two bottles (one cleaner, one conditioner) and each one costs about $9. They do work well though.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:44 PM
small cost when you think of how much you spent to get leather!

Old 12-18-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by J-150
small cost when you think of how much you spent to get leather!
You got that right!

Old 12-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexol is a good all round product to maintain your leather. If you have other issues such as cracked clearcoat and items of that nature (which I'm sure you don't considering that it's a 2004) you might want to consider doing something else prior to application to remedy the situation.

I like Lexol because it is a two part system. There are absolutely too many cleaner/conditioners on the market that simply don't clean that well. I like the fact that you use a cleaner to clean it, and a conditioner to, well, condition it.

Many people have the misconception that you shouldn't condition clear coated leathers because they are 'encapsulated' leather. This is not true as the clearcoat itself is very porus. It is important to keep those pores clear and clean of debris/dirt so that the conditioner that you use can penetrate to help the leather.

I hope that provides a little bit of insight.

There are certainly a lot of high quality products out there on the market... You might find something different that does a better job in your opinion...

Oh yeah, to answer your question directly, no. The King Ranch interior is the only exception to Ford's 'clearcoated leather' line. The KR leather is unclearcoated.

RP

Old 12-26-2003, 02:30 PM
If you're **** like me, you condition your seats once a week! I've done that for 5 years on my T-bird, and no cracks!

Quick Reply: "clear coated" leather?