Routing wires up through the dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Routing wires up through the dashboard

Can anyone enlighten me about those two oval tabs between the three defroster vents on top of the dashboard of my '03 F-150?

I'm going to install a computer in my truck and need to run 3-4 cables from behind the dash to things mounted on top of the dash (Dash camera, GPS, cell phone, wireless network antenna). Those two oval plastic tabs look like they might just pop out, and they probably cover a couple of bolts that hold the dash assembly to the truck body.

Has anyone removed them, and is the an open path in there were I can fish some wires through? Do they pop back in place afterwards?

Old 07-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Pop them out and take a look. There are many pop outs in the F150. My question would be why put electronics on the dash, it gets hot in the sun and heat and electronics don't mix.

Old 07-12-2003, 08:43 PM
I keep my Mafterburner computer in the passengers side kick panel....

Old 07-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by mete
>> My question would be why put electronics on the dash, it gets hot in the sun and heat and electronics don't mix.
In this case.... the dashcam needs to be on the dash to take pictures through the windshield, the GPS has the electronics & antenna integrated into a tiny 1x2 inch module that must be on top of the dash to 'see' the sky, the wireless networking antenna needs to be mounted as high as possible to get maximum range, and the cell phone.. well, I just want it up there so I can see it.

So in my case at least, three of the four really do need to be dash mounted.

Old 07-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Use the really big oval on the dash instead... you can cut it up to route wires thru then just replace it at trade in time, its only like a $40 part.

Old 07-16-2003, 07:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by mgrooms
...Snip... the GPS has the electronics & antenna integrated into a tiny 1x2 inch module that must be on top of the dash to 'see' the sky...Snip...
The GPS antenna can be mounted under the plastic dash cover pw1981 mentions and it will work just fine. I have one installed that way. Same goes for a XM radio antenna.

Originally posted by mgrooms
...Snip... the wireless networking antenna needs to be mounted as high as possible to get maximum range...Snip...
What exactly are you going to do with Wi-Fi in your truck? Copy MP3's and stuff from a home PC to the truck? Just curious...

BTW, I'd try and mount NOTHING on the dash if you can. You should opt for a stealthy install IMHO. With the number of scumbag thiefs out and about today, seeing all that hardware on your dash will be a sure invite for a broken window, stolen property and inside damage.

Old 07-16-2003, 11:45 AM
I think you're missing a very important point. The only way you'd want all that stuff on your dash is if you were an officer of the law. This makes the issue / problem of folks wanting to swipe the stuff somewhat of a moot point.

Having installed a ton of stuff in vehicles before, I'd caution you to install stuff up there very carefully. Remember, in the event of an accident, all of that stuff becomes projectiles. Good luck!

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by B-Man
The GPS antenna can be mounted under the plastic dash cover pw1981 mentions and it will work just fine. I have one installed that way. Same goes for a XM radio antenna.

Good thoughts. When you say 'under the plastic dash cover' do you mean that big oval of softer feeling material, or something else?

What exactly are you going to do with Wi-Fi in your truck? Copy MP3's and stuff from a home PC to the truck? Just curious...

Wi-Fi in the truck....... for two things. #1 WAR driving looking for open WiFi access points... I'm in the business, it's sort of a hobby. #2 linking to my home network to download MP# files to the on-board computer, and to upload vehicle diagnostic logs recorded via the OBD-II pwer train diagnostic connector. Plan on doing life-of-vehicle monitoring of the OBD-II vehicle computer. Using HW interface and SW from this company. http://www.obd-2.com/

BTW, I'd try and mount NOTHING on the dash if you can. You should opt for a stealthy install IMHO. With the number of scumbag thiefs out and about today, seeing all that hardware on your dash will be a sure invite for a broken window, stolen property and inside damage.

Old 07-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Cool

Originally posted by B-Man & mgrooms

Good thoughts. When you say 'under the plastic dash cover' do you mean that big oval of softer feeling material, or something else?

Yes, under the big oval dash cover. If you pull up gently, you can wiggle your fingers along the edge and pop it out. Lots of space for mounting the GPS antenna under there...

Wi-Fi in the truck....... for two things. #1 WAR driving looking for open WiFi access points... I'm in the business, it's sort of a hobby. #2 linking to my home network to download MP# files to the on-board computer, and to upload vehicle diagnostic logs recorded via the OBD-II pwer train diagnostic connector. Plan on doing life-of-vehicle monitoring of the OBD-II vehicle computer. Using HW interface and SW from this company. http://www.obd-2.com

Cool. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of PC set-up do you have in your rig ? I'm exploring doing that, but have not come up with a set-up I think is long-term livable in my rig. Thanks for any info...

Old 07-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Sure. Some system info:

The system board is a Via M10000 'Nehemiah' ITX form factor .
http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2...0/index.x?pg=1 I selected this board for it's combination of small size (170mm X 170mm), decent performance, and feature set.

It will be powered by an Opus Solutions, 90 watt 12VDC input, ATX power supply specifically made for in-car (truck, boat, airplane) computers.
http://www.opussolutions.com/

I'm connecting to the on board power train computer (OBD-II) using an interface & software from this company.
http://www.obd-2.com/dashg.htm

GPS functions supplied by the new USB Delorme Earthmate http://www.delorme.com/earthmate/moreinfo.asp

802.11B wireless link to the house will be via a D-Link DWL-520 PCI card
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=42

connected to a HyperLink Technologies HyperGain® Range Extender 5 dBi Blade Omni Antenna http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/re05e.php mounted to the inside of the passenger side windshield immediately above the dash, immediately to the left of the 'A' pillar.

MP3s will play via some aftermarket 1 DIN sized stereo with aux inputs.

The jury is still out on the display issue. A small monochrome LCD text display replacing half the radio space (1 DIN) would be great for the MP3 part if the project, but it couldn't be the ONLY display for the car-puter I have in mind. I have a few full blown apps I want to run that require a real VGA (640x480 minimum) color display. That's where I'm stuck.

I would be willing to pay big bucks for a single DIN sized (motorized or manual) 7" diagonal LCD in-dash VGA display. There are a number of in-dash LCD monitors available, but they all have RCA, or S-Video inputs. I insist on a real DB-15 connector, VGA, so I'm still looking.

There's a company named Xenarc that makes a beautiful 7" LCD VGA with USB touch-screen that people are just crazy about, but it's dash (top of the dash) mounted. Take a look at it here http://www.xenarc.com/

So in the mean time while I prototype and test this carputer I bought an inexpensive 15" ProView LCD screen that runs on 12VDC. It was an open-box special at Circuit City, that had two rebates worth a total of $110. Final price after rebate was about $130.

Not bad.

Options I haven't decided on are

wired, USB, or wireless keyborad and mouse;

firewire attached dash & rear view cameras;

USB connection to my network enabled cell phone (Sprint PCS 3G network);

audio record on demand from the radio output to capture songs, and a mic to record in-car conversation.

I know it seems like a long list, but I think it can all be done given a little luck, and some patience on my part.

What do you think?

Matt Grooms - San Antonio, TX

Last edited by mgrooms; 07-18-2003 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:04 AM
Cool

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to investigate those links.

I'm also going to do a little looking regarding your VGA panel request. I know some folks in the industry and maybe we can figure something out...

I looked at the antenna. If the one pictured (flat and skinny) is the one you are getting, experiment with placing it up against the A-Pillar. If it works decent, I know there is enough room inside the plastic cover of the A-Pillar for that guy to sit comfortably.

That would help with the stealth install look, ya know?

Quick Reply: Routing wires up through the dashboard