2007 OEM Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question 2007 OEM Headlights

Does anyone know what the name brand and style headlight bulb came in my 2007 F150, XL? I'm asking because they're still working. When they finally burn out I might want to go back with them.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a standard 9008 halogen bulb. If you like them, stay away from anything like a Sylvania Silverstar that claim to be much brighter. Truth be told, all halogens dim over time and yours have too. Just replacing them with a regular bulb will make a pretty dramatic difference in light on the ground. Going to something like a Silverstar will also give you more light on the ground - mostly just because they're new. But if you look at life expectancy, the Silverstars suck. It sounds like all you want / need is a standard OE quality bulb and they're much cheaper too.

Here's a link to a (Phillips) web site that will help you find just about any bulb you want for any vehicle:

https://www.automotivebulbfinder.com/philips/

Last edited by 2stroked; 02-09-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Question

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Just a standard 9008 halogen bulb. If you like them, stay away from anything like a Sylvania Silverstar that claim to be much brighter. Truth be told, all halogens dim over time and yours have too. Just replacing them with a regular bulb will make a pretty dramatic difference in light on the ground. Going to something like a Silverstar will also give you more light on the ground - mostly just because they're new. But if you look at life expectance, the Silverstars suck. It sounds like all you want / need is a standard OE quality bulb and they're much cheaper too.

Here's a link to a (Phillips) web site that will help you find just about any bulb you want for any vehicle:

https://www.automotivebulbfinder.com/philips/
Thanks for the information.
I was thinking about going with these in the link below. Opinions?

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-09-2019, 04:27 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Those won't last anywhere near as long.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Those won't last anywhere near as long.
Yup, what he said. Marginally more light (comparing new bulb to new bulb), but shorter life. If you really want something that lasts as long as your OEM bulbs, just get regular bulbs.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:05 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Ask your son, since he works at a dealership, what they sell over-the-counter. Surely, it's just GE, Phillips, Sylvania, or some other common over-the-counter brand. I don't think they've got anything really special.

Halogens do dim. Halogens do burn out. Why your's has lasted so long is unknown. But some burn out faster than others. I had a tail light burn out within 6 months, but everything else lasted until I replaced them with LED.

Locally, in Livermore, California, the fire station has a light bulb which has been on for over 100 years.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
Ask your son, since he works at a dealership, what they sell over-the-counter. Surely, it's just GE, Phillips, Sylvania, or some other common over-the-counter brand. I don't think they've got anything really special.

Halogens do dim. Halogens do burn out. Why your's has lasted so long is unknown. But some burn out faster than others. I had a tail light burn out within 6 months, but everything else lasted until I replaced them with LED.

Locally, in Livermore, California, the fire station has a light bulb which has been on for over 100 years.
That would be correct in that the OEM bulbs are nothing special.

As for LED's, please, don't even get me started. The vast majority of the aftermarket LED bulbs are just plain junk. (Both life expectancy and output are dramatically over stated.) And some LED headlight bulbs are just plain dangerous due to increased glare for oncoming drivers.

And the 100 year old bulb, other than power failures, has never been turned off. That makes a dramatic difference in how long it's lasted.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:44 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Fifty150

I can't figure it out either. Ever since I moved back to La. from FL. in 2012, I turn my lights on even during the day. They drive so crazy here that I need every advantage for other cars to see me coming. I might just go back with what's in there being they have lasted this long.
Can the bulbs be replaced without removing the light assembly?

Old 02-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I can't figure it out either. Ever since I moved back to La. from FL. in 2012, I turn my lights on even during the day. They drive so crazy here that I need every advantage for other cars to see me coming. I might just go back with what's in there being they have lasted this long.
Can the bulbs be replaced without removing the light assembly?
Yes, you do have to remove the headlight assembly / housing to replace your bulbs, but it's very easy. This video ought to help:

Old 02-12-2019, 01:45 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I've been able to replace the turn signals without taking the lamp housings off. But that is it. No way to change the H13 low/high beam lamp.

For what it's worth, I have used these in my truck. They worked great for me.

Roll over image to zoom in

HELLA H71071052 Optilux XB Series H13 9008 Xenon White Halogen Bulbs, 12V, 100/80W 2 Pack

by Optilux
3.5 out of 5 stars 22 customer reviews
Amazon'sChoicefor "hella h13"Price:$36.10 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Quick Reply: 2007 OEM Headlights