Recon Mirror Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recon Mirror Lenses

Has anyone purchased the Recon mirror lenses yet? I did the reflector mod to my Lariat awhile back. I am interested in the Recon's due to the fact that they can be used as turn signals and running lights.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Angry

Just got them. They did not come with any instructions(

Old 11-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by FUZZYDP
Just got them. They did not come with any instructions(
Nice... So there going to be no different to wire than the mod I did from here. You would think for the price the would at least come with instructions...

Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
I was looking to order a pair myself but curious how others have tackled and what if any issues they ran into. I'd prefer to wire both as running and turn signal.

I did contact Recon on the wiring config. Response was as follows:

"Basically, you will have a positive and a ground wire coming from the unit itself. You will have to take your mirror off and feed the wires down up near the headlight and tap into either the positive turn signal lead or the positive parking light lead on your truck (depending on how you want them to function). "

FUZZYDP - any success on your install?

John

Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
I made these exact same lights for under $20 bucks. There is a thread on here depicting how easy it is to do.

I know there is one here..but here is one I found on another board.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/led-mirror-mod-129720/

Took me just a few hours if that...I tend to take my time with things like this. I trimmed down the white part very carefully. I had to silicon mine back on..but have not had any issues and these have been done for months now.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 AM
I want mine running & turn. Know how to make this happen?

Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Normally this would be a wire them as parking lamps that flash off in turn signal mode.

Ignore the wire colors this is for a motorcycle

The + on the marker lamp element is wired to the parking lamps on the vehicle.
The - on the marker lamp element is wired to the turn signal + wire on the vehicle.

The ground for the marker lamp is derived from the turn signal ( resistance to ground is slightly more than direct to ground ) , so it is on, when the turn signal is off.

When the turn signal is on, + VDC is on both sides of the marker lamp, and it turns off, hence the flash off with turn signals.

1 item of note, I have no idea how the FET that operates the turn signals on the 2009+ F150 is going to react to this.
It should be OK, but I only have theory to back this up, nothing factual ( read it is supposition & opinion ).

Good luck with the test, post back with how it works for other members that want to do the same.

From the 2009 EVTM ( should be the same for the 2010 ).

Trending Topics

Old 12-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Just gotta locate tap for markers to run to mirrors. I'll let ya know when I do.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 PM

You are going to the front of the truck to get the turn signal lead, use a 2 x 16 AWG zip wire ( for electrical not speakers ) to do it.

Your Ace should have 16 AWG lamp cord for the project.
Use electrical tape to reenforce the rub points.
I use splicing pad wrap before the tape. Home Depot might carry this, it is used for Split bolts on overhead electrical services after the pad and before the tape. Depends on what electrical codes are around you if they have this on the shelf.

You cannot get the turn signals at the MFS.
The MFS is now just a switch that triggers the SJB / BCM ( Smart Junction Box and now Ford stopped fighting it, and call it the BCM in the 2011+ MY F150s ).

Get some scotch locks and try a bulb at the front light to see if it works before going all in on running the wire.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Mine are just turn..in order to do running you need to run a wire up front to the parking lamps..

For this project it just was not worth going that route..also with the 2010 I have a molex style connector for wiring going into the door..I didnt want to deal with drilling through that to get wiring out of the door into the rest of the truck.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Makes sense. Thanks!

Originally Posted by SSCULLY
You are going to the front of the truck to get the turn signal lead, use a 2 x 16 AWG zip wire ( for electrical not speakers ) to do it.

Your Ace should have 16 AWG lamp cord for the project.
Use electrical tape to reenforce the rub points.
I use splicing pad wrap before the tape. Home Depot might carry this, it is used for Split bolts on overhead electrical services after the pad and before the tape. Depends on what electrical codes are around you if they have this on the shelf.

You cannot get the turn signals at the MFS.
The MFS is now just a switch that triggers the SJB / BCM ( Smart Junction Box and now Ford stopped fighting it, and call it the BCM in the 2011+ MY F150s ).

Get some scotch locks and try a bulb at the front light to see if it works before going all in on running the wire.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm beginning to agree.

Originally Posted by SWEET GT
Mine are just turn..in order to do running you need to run a wire up front to the parking lamps..

For this project it just was not worth going that route..also with the 2010 I have a molex style connector for wiring going into the door..I didnt want to deal with drilling through that to get wiring out of the door into the rest of the truck.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 AM
I was up to trying this untill the hole drilling part. NO WAY. I paint cars for a living and holes always lead to rust unless you can get to both sides of the hole to protect from moisture.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 AM

What hole are you drilling through metal for these ?

The Molex connector is plastic. Drill out 2 unused slots so you can get the 16 AWG lamp cord out of the door into the rubber boot, and back through the other plastic molex connector into the a pillar on the truck.

The recon lens is mounted to the plastic mirror, don't think there is any metal drilling going on there either.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Darn, me too, just received them from Recon and no instructions!! Not in their site "Downloads" either...only for the Superduty mirrors which are totally different!

Stupid to sell a product and ship it w/o instructions...just tried to call and was on country hold music for 10 minutes before hanging up...guess I'm winging it on this mod

RECON - ARE YOU LISTENING!!

Quick Reply: Recon Mirror Lenses