Not another retrofit question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not another retrofit question!

Okay, so I remember someone stating that there is a retrofit lens where you wouldn't have to cut the bowl of the headlight to install - one that would just screw in, but that it would be a much smaller projection.

My questions:

1. What was the name of this lens again?

2. What effect would the much smaller lens have on illumination?

Thanks guys!

Old 02-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
This..... http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237

FXRs are a better light pattern but the performance of the morimoto mini is far better than stock....

Old 02-02-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The Mini was designed as a fog lamp or for primary projection in cars with smaller than normal lights. If you can afford the space, you do not want to skimp out and get the Mini. The FX-R is an all around better projector.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:41 PM

If you are OK with using the aftermarket H1 bulbs and 35w ballasts, then there is nothing wrong with the Mini H1. Performance of the Mini H1 is on par with the FXR, but the FXR has the advantage of OEM bulbs and 50w usage. Both have their pros and cons.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the mini H1's in mine and the light output easily drowns out every other car on the road. Distance, spread, and the cut-off is freakin awesome. I would agree that FXR's are better, but any of these two projectors are a world apart from stock halogen/PnP's/or even most of the halogen projectors.

Probably the biggest difference between the two is foreground lighting w/ the mini H1's having much more light dump right in front which you don't want. It isn't a big deal on most trucks since you can't see immediately in front but it makes fog lights useless (even retro fogs).

For the mini H1, you only need to trim down the halogen buld shield support (2 minutes) and you begin the install (well after the lenses are apart).

Old 02-03-2012, 06:33 PM

If looking at the Minni's I'd choose the MH1 over the D2S. The MH1 has way better output then the D2S. But the newly designed D2S that are coming out in a few months are supposed to be better then the current MH1's.

Quick Reply: Not another retrofit question!