Tachometer drops out - gas gauge goes to 1/2

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tachometer drops out - gas gauge goes to 1/2

Help me out if you can, I've read a few articels here but don't see anything that is exact to my problem. Can't get a garage to figure out what's up. Here it is F-150 guys!

2001 F-150 supercrew (very clean - 52K - origional owner), the gas gauge goes to 1/2 tank and the tachometer drops out, then sometimes the speedometer drops out of freezes in place at highway speeds. I have no idea. I've looked at the ground straps, well at least the two I can find and the fuses. As a firefighter, I have some lights and a siren wired in, but that is all good and no short cuts there. Dont' know where to look for a dash ground. It's random, so that dosen"t help things out, but it will do it daily. Restarting the truck will sometimes correct the issue for a while. Real pain in the but when taking a trip with the family and boat in tow, just gives the wife another reason to complain to me about selling her - the truck that is - no way, it's a great vehicle.

Thanks in advance people! I look forward to reading your replies. My wife thinks I'm looking at **** anyway! HA! Later - JT

Old 08-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the site JT

Here's from another firefighter. Just a volunteer but were 78% strong

Usually whenever a cluster acts up its the early symptoms of a faulty charging system. Get your battery and alternator checked out.

-Alex

Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks Brother, but the battery is brand new and Alternator was replaced about 7 years ago by Ford. I'll have it checked tomorow. The thing just drives me crazy and after looking aroud here I thought you guys might have a good suggestion.

Hey man, volunteer or career, we all do the job! Be safe out there and keep the skills sharp! Is there a spell check on this thing??

Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FF Joe T
Thanks Brother, but the battery is brand new and Alternator was replaced about 7 years ago by Ford. I'll have it checked tomorow. The thing just drives me crazy and after looking aroud here I thought you guys might have a good suggestion.

Hey man, volunteer or career, we all do the job! Be safe out there and keep the skills sharp! Is there a spell check on this thing??
Not sure. I use Mozilla Firefox and it does it automatically (plus it has AdBlock).

Yeah I just got back from a call. Made it 5 miles to the station, pull out 20 feet and they cancel me

Old 08-26-2011, 10:06 PM
OK then, have a good night, it's time to go watch the tube and get off this thing - eyes getting crossed. Thanks again, I hope others read it and can help me out. Hey, watch out for the huricane! Later..........

Quick Reply: Tachometer drops out - gas gauge goes to 1/2