If I were to go with a dual light projector setup...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were to go with a dual light projector setup...

That used H3's for low beams and H1's for high beams, is there anything preventing me from using SilverStar H3's for my low beams (city driving) and an HID kit for the H3's for off-road/lowly populated highways?

Old 06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't you mean H1 HID? Can you post a picture of the headlights you are looking at?

Since you said anything, I'm going to say- yes. There are laws that prevent one from installing HIDs in aftermarket non-xenon components. While they are out there, you are very unlikely to get stopped for it unless they are annoyingly bright.

Technically, no. As long as they share the same PK22s base, they will fit. But I'm going to go into some finer details here.

The H3 bulb is very tiny and very outdated. It was designed many years ago primarily as an auxillary/fog light bulb because of its traverse filament. At 12v it only emits around 850-1000lm, and while there is some success to it, compared to an H13 you will be downgrading since the H13 has 1100-1250lm at 12v and is only several years old (using newer gases) which severely prolong bulb life.

H3

vs H13:

For the high beam part- The H1 is a far superior bulb compared to the H3s and is basically a revamped design of the chassis of the H3, but for a different purpose. Again the H1 is found mostly in aux/driving lights, but I've seen them utilized in primary head lamps as well. They use a P14.5s base, and emit ~1300lm @ 12vDC, but again, were designed as a aux/driving light for small housings and low heat soaking abilities. In a primary headlamp application, the H13s 1700lm of power easily trumps the H1s.

BUT

You said you want HID right? Okay so now you're pushing ~2000lm out of that projector. Since it is high beam, you don't have to worry about blinding traffic, but what you don't realize is that "projector" isnt really a projector. Its a basic reflector with a plastic lens in front of it designed by people in China. It does light the road, but compared to your stock housings, they will be crap. On top of that, arc-xenon bulbs (ESPECIALLY the ones made in China!) emit very high levels of UV-A and infrared light which will, over time, internally "melt" the reflective coating of the headlights causing them to flake off and thus destroy all reflective properties of the headlights.

tl;dr- There is nothing stopping you from doing what you said, but IMHO you won't be impressed with the light output if that is what you are going for.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for such a detailed reply! And don't worry, I decided on Silverstars and have already ordered a pair (H13's for the stock housing). I think the stock housing is the best looking out there anyway.

Oh, and my sig still shows HID's, but that is incorrect, I ditched them almost a year ago.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAU

Oh, and my sig still shows HID's, but that is incorrect, I ditched them almost a year ago.
I don't blame you- I ditched my HIDs and went back to halogens for a full 6 months before I went to a retrofit

Quick Reply: If I were to go with a dual light projector setup...