smokedouttaillights.com RANT! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smokedouttaillights.com RANT! (pics)

I ordered taillights from smokedouttailights.com two weeks ago, the owner responded to my emails withing 5minutes of me sending them. Offered me $160 shipped if I ordered now. I was prepared to buy some so I went ahead and took the deal. When I received them they were a lot darker then what I had expected but didn't think anything of it because on his website he states, "I do NOT mix clear with black paint and spray them like everyone else (no matter what they say) This greatly effects light output. " After installing I noticed some issues, very little light output (I knew there would be less but not this much less) as well as my reverse light would appear as if it was lit as well. and here is where the emailing starts.

"Please explain to me your refund policy. I received the lights a couple hours ago and installed but never drove with them on. I am concerned about the light output as well as the light transfer between chambers that makes it look like my reverse light is on when I am on the brake.

Thank you."

His response.
"I don't offer returns as stated on the terms unless it's a defect. For the reverse light I have no idea what your talking about they are factory light. Your factory lights don't light up the reverse light so neither will these

Sent from my iPhone"

So after calling me a liar I sent this back.

"Hopefully this helps you get an idea what I am talking about. See attached pictures."

He has since stopped responding I sent another email a day later saying
"Just checking to see if you received my previous email with attached pictures showing the defect?"

this was on 5/27

I know I am most likely SOL and thats what I get for dealing with a one man company out of a garage but I just wanted to warn others. If you read this far thank you and my rant is over!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 PM
Honestly you guys crack me up about the blacked out taillights. You make a light darker then complain its not bright enough? I personally think it is a stupid idea. I want my brake lights to be as bright as possible. I don't want some idiot rear ending me because he can't see my spray painted brake lights. Jeez flame on

Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Thats how most tinted lights look I think. What do they look like outside do you have anymore pics of them when they aren't lighted up...

Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Should have found some Harley tails.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
Should have found some Harley tails.
x2.

The "tint" is basically refracting the light down the lens.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Alex_4.2
Thank you for your input. There is a reason there sitting on my work bench and have never left my driveway. Because I do not want this to happen. This thread is to warn others ordering from this site.

Originally Posted by noregrets
Thats how most tinted lights look I think. What do they look like outside do you have anymore pics of them when they aren't lighted up...

I also want to add I was expecting the smoked out look not BLACKED out. But a little more research and I would have noticed this site is Default black and upon request smoked.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 PM
WOW, those are dark. They look nice but I can see why there are issues with lighting. My tails are smoked red just to get a little of the bright red from sticking out from the black paint so much. I hope you find something that works better for you and possible get your money back.

Tim

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2011, 09:11 PM
i think they look good if you ask me. in the first pics the tail lights still seem decent. the paint and lines look nice and smooth. how about a pic of the tail lights on in the sun?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Holy those are dark ha. They look really good though I would just buy a line of fire and rock em. But if you don't do that I wouldn't use em because someone will hit you and it wont go over well...although they do light up pretty good in those other pic considering how dark they are.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex_4.2L
Honestly you guys crack me up about the blacked out taillights. You make a light darker then complain its not bright enough? I personally think it is a stupid idea. I want my brake lights to be as bright as possible. I don't want some idiot rear ending me because he can't see my spray painted brake lights. Jeez flame on
X2

Im really tempted to become a cop, and do nothing but pull people over and hand out tickets for totally illegal tail lights

Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I seriously hate nightshades after a run in I had. I was driving to school and there was a Pontiac G6 in front of me. Thought the lights were on. They were so ****ing dim... they were the brake lights!! I was paying attention so I hit my brakes and had no issues (she had stopped short). You could barely tell they were light that's how dark they were. After that incident I have been so against that crap. Oem smoked or similar or don't bother. It's not fair to other drivers at all. It's like HID's in reflector housings... inconsiderate jerk offs. Really pisses me off to be blinded by that crap too. I think it's becoming a safety issue and it needs to be confronted. end rant.

Thanks OP for not using them

Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 AM
trust me I think they look great on the truck. The only problems I have is safety and the fact that the reverse light is so bright when on the brake. I am going to try and sell them on craigslist and get a little bit of my money back.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. The blacked out tail lights are just a reason for someone to pile into you. You will see these in court too.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw a MY 06-ish truck yesterday, completely stock, with a old man driving it and at night, while he was pressing on his brakes, his reverse lights were lit up just like OPs. Not as much, maybe 50% of what his are, but still weird nonetheless

Old 06-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I think its just an air gap between the bulb buckets and the lens that causes that

Quick Reply: smokedouttaillights.com RANT! (pics)