Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight problem

Ok, so Im puzzled.

My passenger side highbeam doesnt get as bright as my drivers side. When I turn the brights on, the beam moves as it should, but doesnt get any brighter. The drivers side is obviously brighter. Ive changed light bulbs, Ive changed headlights and Ive changed my highbeam relay. Im out of ideas and hope you guys have one for me to try.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You have a voltage drop issue. If you have a DMM, you should perform a voltage drop loss test on both sockets to see how much you are losing. Halogen bulbs operate on a voltage to luminosity output of 3.4, exponentially. So if you are running low voltage on one side, you are losing light output. See chart below.

To perform a voltage drop loss:

Originally Posted by Daniel Stern
This test must be made with the lamps switched on and all bulbs connected, so you may have to work to get access to the correct bulb terminal. In some cases, it may be easiest to remove the bulb from the headlamp and (carefully) operate it outside the headlamp with your voltmeter connected. Or, you can "backprobe" the headlamp socket.

Connect the positive (red) test lead of a voltmeter to the car battery positive (+) terminal, and the negative (black) test lead to the + terminal of whichever headlamp filament (beam) you're testing -- use the bulb farthest away from the battery. Your voltmeter will give a direct reading of the voltage drop. Write it down.

Then, connect the positive (red) voltmeter lead to the ground terminal of the headlamp bulb, and the negative voltmeter lead to the negative (-) terminal of the battery. Your voltmeter will again give a direct reading of the voltage drop. Write it down. Add the two voltage drop figures obtained, and this is the total circuit voltage drop.
If you have anything serious, you may have to wire a direct connect to the battery to bypass OEM relays and connections (which can contribute to the voltage drop) to regain your proper voltage.

-Alex

Old 04-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would I have the same problem if I installed some HID's?

Quick Reply: Headlight problem