Cheapest website to order HIDs? And what kind?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapest website to order HIDs? And what kind?

just needing a little help finding the cheapest website to order HIDs for my headlights and foglights on my 04 f150? i still want a good quality product though. any help would be appreciated

Old 03-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

HIDs don't belong on a truck as big as yours, you are going to blind the living hell out of oncoming traffic. At the very least, you should use some projectors of some sort to cut down on the glare. Check out my gallery for examples of a proper HID retro-fit.

Your truck looks badass btw! Love it. Don't ruin it with the ricer lights.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
With a truck as tall as yours you would blind the living crap out of people

Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM
DDMtuning.com its where i got mine. $60

Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 PM
What I have are HID's in the fogs but Halogens in the headlights. It actually looks pretty cool. If you dont like the look, you can always drive with just the fogs on until night

Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As stated above, please don't put HIDs in your headlights. Just upgrade to a Silverstar Ultra bulb.

But if you insist on getting HIDs, eBay is the cheapest. But you will get what you pay for.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Don't go through DDM, I ordered and received their product and returned it as soon as I opened the box to look inside. Quality is bad and one of the bulbs was broken(which was not the reason i sent them back, I realize accidents happen in shipping).

If you decide against HID's because of everyone's "blinding" warnings, I'd go with the Philips X-treme Power +80% bulbs, which are what i ended up going with for now until I bit the bullet and do a retrofit. I'm very happy with the performance of these bulbs. I've had Silverstars and was very unimpressed. They just produced a different color light and are notorious for short life spans. I had GE Nighthawks in my mustang and liked those also, but Philips are the best I've experienced.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeBawls
If you decide against HID's because of everyone's "blinding" warnings, I'd go with the Philips X-treme Power +80% bulbs, which are what i ended up going with for now until I bit the bullet and do a retrofit. I'm very happy with the performance of these bulbs. I've had Silverstars and was very unimpressed. They just produced a different color light and are notorious for short life spans. I had GE Nighthawks in my mustang and liked those also, but Philips are the best I've experienced.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by XtremeBawls
Don't go through DDM, I ordered and received their product and returned it as soon as I opened the box to look inside. Quality is bad and one of the bulbs was broken(which was not the reason i sent them back, I realize accidents happen in shipping).

I'll look into those bulbs! Thanks. Are they a white looking light or a yellow tint? And do they bulbs for fog lights? And also do u think if i Decided to go with hid projectors for heads and fogs would that it would still be too bad?
Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 AM

The projectors would help put immensely, but no one makes PnP projectors. The ones you see are actually halogen projector with HIDs stuck in them. If you did a retrofit, that would be best, just dont pull up behind someone at a stop light

Old 03-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by nicklas02
I'll look into those bulbs! Thanks. Are they a white looking light or a yellow tint? And do they bulbs for fog lights? And also do u think if i Decided to go with hid projectors for heads and fogs would that it would still be too bad?
Thanks for all the help guys!
They have more of a yellow tint to them. There's good reason for halogens having that color though, it produces the best light output. As for fog lights, I think your truck needs 9145 or H1 which are not offered in the X-treme Power bulb, but they do offer that size in the NightGuide(supposed to be there best light output fogs) and CrystalVision Ultra Bulbs. I should probably note the Crystalvision Ultra bulbs are suppose to look like HID's. I have never tried them or seen them in person, but I can't believe they'd be worse than Silverstars.

I think if you do a retrofit and aim them properly, HID's will be alright, but it is not recommended to do it to lifted trucks. Many here argue that it is not considerate to do it to stock height trucks even.

Quick Reply: Cheapest website to order HIDs? And what kind?