Black Headlights???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems like all the PTM ones I've seen are too light and bright in color since the clear headlight lense is in front of the paint and changes the hue. My .02

Old 02-17-2011, 11:20 PM
yeah i can see that happening. for now im a little tight for money. maybe this summer if things start workin out i can pick up a salvage yard set or a ebay cheapos and try to make em white.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just make sure you do a grey primer prior to paint, or else the white will be really bright.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definetly bake and paint them. Not only will niteshades decrease light output, but i hear that it makes the headlights give off a purplish color.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by dirtyd88
Just make sure you do a grey primer prior to paint, or else the white will be really bright.
thanks for the info dirty. i'll make sure i do that

Old 02-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Buxton91
Definetly bake and paint them. Not only will niteshades decrease light output, but i hear that it makes the headlights give off a purplish color.
i put 3 coats of nite shades on guys tail lights and it made his reverse lights look red. but maybe since headlights put out way more light it makes them look purple, i've never seen nite shaded headlights in person.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by DanielWalker10
i put 3 coats of nite shades on guys tail lights and it made his reverse lights look red. but maybe since headlights put out way more light it makes them look purple, i've never seen nite shaded headlights in person.
Did you paint over the entire lens, reverse light and all?

If you did, then that's why the reverse is appearing red. The easy way to explain it is that some of the reverse light is not penetrating the lens, there for bouncing back around inside the housing, and reflecting off the red reflectors of the brake lights.

That's why you don't nightshades the reverse light...

Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Did you paint over the entire lens, reverse light and all?

If you did, then that's why the reverse is appearing red. The easy way to explain it is that some of the reverse light is not penetrating the lens, there for bouncing back around inside the housing, and reflecting off the red reflectors of the brake lights.

That's why you don't nightshades the reverse light...
yes sir i did paint the whole light. and yeah it makes the reverse light pointless but he already had little fogs under his bumper for reverse lights so it didnt really matter. i thought it was just the paint putting a red tint to them, i didnt thank about all that technical and logical answers. haha thanks again.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah the taillights have a red color, so naturally it's going to give off a red light anyways. In the headlights, it's something about the yellow light mixing with the black paint that gives off the ricer look headlights.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:29 PM
If he has reverse fogs, then I don't see a problem with that.

Just offering my $0.02.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:23 PM
I could paint them oxford white for you, because I do work at a body shop too. So getting proper paint wouldn't be a problem. But then you'd be without stock headlights for a few days.

And my honest opinion, I think PTM headlights look like garbage. It looks like a matchbox car that was poorly done because everything is the same color. Black headlights look AMAZING on a white truck. If you really want, you can send em to me and ill do it for 50 bucks plus shipping obviously. But the Oxford white would cost more since I would actually have to spray it through a gun and it would be dupont car paint.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 PM
If he has reverse fogs, then I don't see a problem with that.

Just offering my $0.02.
its what this site is for. lol idk what his are but there little projectors and they light things up pretty good

Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Drick
I could paint them oxford white for you, because I do work at a body shop too. So getting proper paint wouldn't be a problem. But then you'd be without stock headlights for a few days.

And my honest opinion, I think PTM headlights look like garbage. It looks like a matchbox car that was poorly done because everything is the same color. Black headlights look AMAZING on a white truck. If you really want, you can send em to me and ill do it for 50 bucks plus shipping obviously. But the Oxford white would cost more since I would actually have to spray it through a gun and it would be dupont car paint.
well its a king ranch so theres alot of beige and i just cant picture black head lights on it. lol i have black heads on my black truck and i love them! lol if i get the money i'll get ahold of you sometime.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 PM
So your looking to paint the headlights white on your King Ranch? That might not look to bad I guess. Yeah, if you want help let me know.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Drick
Black headlights look AMAZING on a white truck.
I concur!

Quick Reply: Black Headlights???