I want to go blackout on the head lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to go blackout on the head lights

I want to blackout the headlights and possible tail lights.
I see projector Halo

I see just the replacement housings blacked out -aftermarket

I see on ebay the harley style for a lot of money?

What about the led tails?

worried about how they hold up .... bulb life ... water leakage....?

I am looking at the projector halo head light are they any good? The price is pretty good but does this mean they are cheap?

http://www.americantrucks.com/f150-d...eadlights.html

I was also thinking about the rears to match

any ideas, I want to go black on my white truck.

need input

Old 01-30-2011, 02:41 AM
You run a risk on just about any lights from eBay sellers and the black oem styles on there are more of a matte black. I picked up a set and after a snow storm and two trips to the car wash I have zero moisture issues and I like the look alot better over the halo projectors I had but that's just me. Lol there's a article on her to paint your stock lights if your willing and save alot of money

Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Love the look of your truck. Did you have to remove the tow hooks to install the bull bar?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have had my halo lights for 2 years come this april. bought them off of ebay and wired them directly to a toggle switch. i did have to silicone them to seal them becasue i got moisture in them initially. been fine since then. also the clear protective coating is coming off just within the last few months. it is slowly flaking off. halos still work fine and since they are on a toggle on mine, i can leave them on when my truck isnt running. so far the longest i have done is 8 hours and it doesnt effect battery power at start-up. also i got the spray tint from autozone, did my tails and 3rd brake light and added some LEDs arounf the border of my tails. on a white truck tho, you are brave to try to blackout these things as it could llok sweet and could end up looking like a turd. good luck.

and the last pic is where i have the toggle for the halos

Last edited by timmypstyle; 01-30-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 PM
I sure hope those wires hangin out in that last pic isn't the wires for the halos! Lol there's grommets in your fire wall ya know. Lol

Last edited by DanielWalker10; 01-31-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by stp900
Love the look of your truck. Did you have to remove the tow hooks to install the bull bar?
yes, I had to remove the tow hooks. That is the downside to any type of bull bar.

thanks for the info on your lights.

your halo's look nice. toggle switch ?? why didn't you tie them into your low beans?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Need some opinions about light output and style.

Any opinions for an 01 F150?

dark and normal...

dark halo

all on my truck... I am looking to be unique as well as get the most output for the price. I drive alot at night and would like some insight from the community. Thanks in advance guys! Any other ideas are well welcome!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34321308@N07/4245209930/

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 AM
[QUOTE=Unseen;4480267]Any opinions for an 01 F150?

dark and normal...

dark halo

all on my truck... I am looking to be unique as well as get the most output for the price. I drive alot at night and would like some insight from the community. Thanks in advance guys! Any other ideas are well welcome!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34321308@N07/4245209930/[/QUOTE

I'm looking for my 2008 f150

I have gotten 50/50 feed back on Projector halo from various forums and all posative on the HD lights. unfortuately the factory HD are 273.00 each from the dealer.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Larryw1

I'm looking for my 2008 f150

I have gotten 50/50 feed back on Projector halo from various forums and all posative on the HD lights. unfortuately the factory HD are 273.00 each from the dealer.
Why not just crack yours open and paint them?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM
because I am not sure what I want yet! I kinda like the halo look. but find pros and cons.
I think that if I go with factory hd that they will look good.

The self done tint doesn't look as nice to me. personal preff.

If I paint them and they don't seal just right or the paint comes off down the road? not my best choice.

If I buy the HD and sell my stock ones I can recoupe som of the cost.

So far I am steering toward the Hd and I am looking into the tasca HD's
they seem resonable. priced. I have not read any complaints ... not one!

to me free, labor, or money doesn't matter. what matters is what I like the best!

Last edited by Larryw1; 02-02-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
OH! And yes everyone that has poosted or given there ideas has been very helpful.
I have looked at evy dicrection that has come my way. I have posted on three forums.
I just love the help and Ideas everyon e gives me.

in fact yesterday I was passed by a 04-08 white F150 with halo's just to get an idea. too bad I could'nt find him in a parking lot so I could look close and see how they were holding up!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Im not sure what year your truck is, but check these out for your fogs. It would be pretty sick if you had halos on fogs and heads. http://www.duraflexbodykits.com/9903...r-p-15146.html

Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanielWalker10
I sure hope those wires hangin out in that last pic isn't the wires for the halos! Lol there's grommets in your fire wall ya know. Lol
yeah they are but they are in between the weatherstripping so they arent getting kinked or anything. i did that because i had limited time to do them, heck didnt even put in a fuse holder until a week later. those wires have been there for almost 2 years. i check them every so often with nothing different with them since they were new wires.

Originally Posted by Larryw1
your halo's look nice. toggle switch ?? why didn't you tie them into your low beans?
they came with a plug to plug into the parking lights but i didnt like the halos with the parking lights on. they look 10x better alone plus you can have them on without the truck running for a long time. and also you can barely tell the halos are on when your heads are on. i have silverstar heads so the whiter light blends with the halos more than stock ones would. and the halos are pretty bright but you cant use them as heads or fogs, the put out the same amount of light as your turn signals lights do.

Originally Posted by detroitbuilt
Im not sure what year your truck is, but check these out for your fogs. It would be pretty sick if you had halos on fogs and heads. http://www.duraflexbodykits.com/9903...r-p-15146.html
seen those before. someone on here has the fogs too. they do look sweet but IMO its too many halos on at one time. if i had them i would thro the fog halos on another toggle so i could have 0 or 2 or 4 on at a time.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 PM
May or may not want my opinion but I bought the blk halo projectors in 2008 & no doubt they look sweet as hell but.... The small LED's on the bottom already started going out last year & the plastic bracket that mounts in the housing broke a week ago. Looked like I popped a eye ball.. Why plastic... Not to mention the halo's I have wont take HID bulbs didnt find that out til install time & the inside was getting foggy sometimes. Also they sucked on the road for lighting, everyone asked if my lights were on when they were riding w me. But blinding way out in front of me, go figure. Anywho I didnt want to keep doing the up keep on replacing those little LEDs all the time so im buying HID's & blackout covers this go round. Halo Projectors are sexy but quality is a issue..

Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rachels4x4Crew
May or may not want my opinion but I bought the blk halo projectors in 2008 & no doubt they look sweet as hell but.... The small LED's on the bottom already started going out last year & the plastic bracket that mounts in the housing broke a week ago. Looked like I popped a eye ball.. Why plastic... Not to mention the halo's I have wont take HID bulbs didnt find that out til install time & the inside was getting foggy sometimes. Also they sucked on the road for lighting, everyone asked if my lights were on when they were riding w me. But blinding way out in front of me, go figure. Anywho I didnt want to keep doing the up keep on replacing those little LEDs all the time so im buying HID's & blackout covers this go round. Halo Projectors are sexy but quality is a issue..
no doubt. those projectors a a crappy excuse for a lighting system. plastic lenses with sub-par reflector bowls

Quick Reply: I want to go blackout on the head lights