What is the best H13 bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryT82
If you read the reviews on Amazon a lot of the higher output bulbs tend to burn out faster.
That may be true, since I believe the element is thinner, but I had mine for about a year, and they never burned out. They had a nice white colored light, and were noticeably brighter than the stock bulbs. They solved my light issue, so I didn't have to get radical and try HIDs or something crazy. They went with the truck I got rid of, whose headlights should never have been allowed to "see the light of day", they really, really, sucked. It was a Dodge...buh bye POS Dodge.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Those are not meant to be used as primary sources of illumination. They give off 250, maybe 300 lumens. Thats about the same as your turn signals or a handheld flashlight. Most people buy those "bulbs" for fog lamps for purely aesthetic purposes. As far as using them to see anything, you'd be better off getting a candle.

Far from it. There are only a few LED modules out there powerful enough to compete with halogens/HIDs in the thousands of lumens range. I belive the new Audi A8 uses LED headlights, the new Mitsubishi Leaf, Cadillac Escalade, and the Lexus Ls600 series. Not only do they emit INTENSE amounts of heat (the whole housing is a heatsink) they use a combination of reflectors and projectors to get proper beam control, because they are using one MASSIVE LED die instead of many small ones. I believe that single die is rated at maybe 27W. Retrofitting LEDs is a LONG ways away. I'd give it maybe another 6-7 years before they are common place and manufacturers can get the heat down and output up.

Lexus:

Caddy:

How it works:

LED sealed beam replacements.......

I do agree with you that they do produce alot of unwanted heat.....jw speaker #8700 has a ungodly sized heat sink on the back if it....

Old 09-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Never changed a headlight since around the mid-70's.

I just imagine that they change out lots easier than back n da day.

Trim ring had to be removed, and if a spring was attached for aiming onto the trim ring, LOOK OUT!!

Usually 3 slotted head sheet metal screws were used to hold the trim ring, and they stripped constantly.

When installing the new sealed beam, the spring had to be re-stretched back to the trim ring and that's when things usually started going wrong.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 PM
The reviews and comments on here about having halogen bulbs burn on in a year or less are usually from people installing the bulbs and touching the bulbs with their bare hands, leaving oil residue that creates a hotspot on the bulb.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:10 PM
I purchased a set of the Phillips bulbs last night.
There's a $10 mail-in rebate which takes them down to $21 shipped for the set.
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
The Philips are the best I have used and will continue to buy them.

From reading I did, Lasers appear to be the wave of the future for headlights. BMW was working on some prototypes.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:00 PM
What bulbs do the fog lights on a 2012 F150 use? I've seen so many different things that I'm not sure which is correct.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
The Philips are the best I have used and will continue to buy them.

From reading I did, Lasers appear to be the wave of the future for headlights. BMW was working on some prototypes.
And, after perfecting that, they are working on a 'Photon Torpedo' for clearing traffic jams.

Lasers WILL be the light source of the future.

Along with many, many more applications.

I recall reading my 'Weekly Reader' back in the early 60's about the developement of Lasers (Light that has been Amplified by Stimulated Emission of Radiation)

Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Yeah the technology is amazing. I seem to recall the article saying how the challenge was getting the light to be focused and properly aimed for headlight applications. I think hids are an in-between technology.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I installed the Phillips bulbs this evening and the difference can be seen, but it isn't that much of a difference. The bulbs are a pain in the *** to remove.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullyman
The reviews and comments on here about having halogen bulbs burn on in a year or less are usually from people installing the bulbs and touching the bulbs with their bare hands, leaving oil residue that creates a hotspot on the bulb.
No, getting grease on the bulbs would result in a life time of >100 hours. I've had 4 sets of Sylvania Silverstar Ultras and not a single set lasted longer than 13 months. Sylvania directly states this on their packaging (in very fine print on the bottom) if you read it.

Originally Posted by BarryT82
What bulbs do the fog lights on a 2012 F150 use? I've seen so many different things that I'm not sure which is correct.
9140 is stock. Most people just go to 9145

Originally Posted by 88racing

LED sealed beam replacements.......

I do agree with you that they do produce alot of unwanted heat.....jw speaker #8700 has a ungodly sized heat sink on the back if it....
There are a couple out there. A company is making units for Peterbilts and Freightliners, and Harley Davidson now has OEM from the factory LED units. They are decent, but again- they have less light than HID at the power consumption and heat output of halogen. Give 'em a few years

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Raptor,

I think you'll find that the older A-Pillar mounted spot lights used by many police agencies had a sealed beam similar to the aircraft landing lights mentioned. They are indeed pretty bright. The amperage draw was pretty significant if I recall correctly.

I used to have one in the basement. Let me see if I still have it.
Yeah we still use a version of that on our ambulances. My plane is a 1964 so thats why I asked There are already LED and HID swap out units on the aviation market. Of course its a simple AMP-style 35W ballast with a tiny light, for $700!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jaak
I have been running Philips X-Treme bulbs for 2 years now with no issues what so ever. The benefits are miles over stock. They include shining more light to the curb side of the road, brighter beam further down the road without causing glare onto on comming traffic. There are sharp cut-offs on both beams. I find these to be great when traveling at night on unlit roads and highways making the drive less stressful as the light does travel further down the road. As their site states it's where the hot spot is in relation to the reflector. These seem to cast light where it's needed. I also have a set on my Boxster as well. They do last a long time.

Here is a link to a US seller --->http://store.candlepower.com/bfcopoh1390p.html
It's now 2 years and 4 months with the bulbs still running strong!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view.html/ref=gno_cart

2004 lariat
if the link worked, I'm pretty sure I need the H13 for my headlights and i've read here that i can run the 9005's in my fogs (square housings).....but on the amazon site where you choose what type of vehicle you have, it says that niether one are compatible with my truck...i can understand it saying that for the 9005 since that's not the OEM # but dont understand why it says that for the H13....Just looking to get a final Go/NoGo on these bulbs before I order.......2004 lariat, square fog housings...TIA

Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, H13 for headlamps, and the 9005s will need a little finesse for the fogs

Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 AM
Thanx Raptor....by finess, you mean a lil' "influence" to make it fit or does it require housing altering? Im assuming just having to twist and turn till it seats correctly

Quick Reply: What is the best H13 bulb?