2013 F150 Odor from HVAC - Band-Aid Box smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my truck in 4 times for the same issue. It was covered the first 2 times under the bumper to bumper and then the 3rd time it was covered under the Ford extended warranty. The fourth time it was covered under Ford but they replaced the entire air conditioning system including all the lines, etc. The field enginner for Ford said the system was "contaminated" thus causing the part to fail. I still think it is something directly with the evaporator. To be honest with you I would buy a Silverado or even a RAM. That is what I am looking at right now. I always liked Ford but after this headache and the lack of attention to this matter and root cause for 4 years has steered me away from purchasing another one.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Angry

Looks like this is a very common problem, pretty sad that all these trucks are just a few years old too....

2013 Expy Limited w/ 45K and was just diagnosed with a leaking evaporator core by an independent mechanic. Started with a strange smell and then the A/C would no longer blow cold. Waiting to hear how much its going to cost to fix, but looking like its not going to be cheap based on what I have read here.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Can i get on the list for this problem in my 2014 f150. Tired of dealing with this smell.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:06 AM
2013 f150 eb AC odor just started

I have 61k miles on my 2013 F150 EB Lariat and the nasty AC smell just started. I do not have the esp. Has Ford fessed up to the problem or are we on our own to pay for this?

Old 08-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
MikeNY,

I'm happy to look into this for you. Please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley
Hi
I have a 2014 F150
VIN 1FTFW1ET8KF06706 mileage approx 37K
I have the same issue - The dealer is James Hodge Ford in Muskogee Oklahoma.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by tammylatta
Hi
I have a 2014 F150
VIN 1FTFW1ET8KF06706 mileage approx 37K
I have the same issue - The dealer is James Hodge Ford in Muskogee Oklahoma.
my phone number is 9182079840

Old 08-11-2017, 06:33 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
PM means private message. You should never post this information in a public forum, I'd advise you to edit your posts.

Also, FordService has not been responsive in these forums for quite a while now. I don't know what their problem is.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Band aid chemical smell

I Have a 2013 Raptor, cant even drive it anymore because of the smell in air conditioner. North County Ford rep in vista ca., said "kind of smells lime band aids". Today is my second time going in. I asked them to replace the entire condenser and blower unit as that is the only portion of air that's not a closed system. We will see. Now only pass side is working for either heat or air. Drivers side only blowing air. Edge just did that too. Needed an upgrade of some sort as the actuators malfunctioned and temp control no longer worked.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Evaporator band aid smell

Originally Posted by MikeNY
I find it very difficult to understand that after over a year and the number of issues regarding the evaporator assembly, Ford has yet to provided a revised part or a TSB for this issue. I am presuming that the leaking refrigerant may cause health effects hence is why I am preparing all the documents that will be forwarded to a class action attorney for review. A number of you have provided detailed service reports as well as other information that will be useful toward resolving this issue. Crystal from Ford Service appears to be sincere about helping; however, keep n mind she is just here to facilitate information. I have yet to receive a call from the Ford regional manager for my area. This entire part issue is very bad quality control on FMC's part. Any of you who have service reports or other information regarding this issue, please PM me so I can added it to the file.
I too have this issue, and am on my 2nd visit. First time the tech wrote No smell. This time I requested collector and blower replacement as they seem to be the only portion of system that is not closed. I have a 2013 Raptor. Same problem.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:08 PM
2013 FX4 F150 with 108k

I had the vinegar smell for a long time. Which I understand is mold. I live in houston so I run the A/C on max most of the year. I now have the band aid smell. I"m out of warranty so I'll be replacing the evap core myself I suppose :-(

Old 10-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by stephenspann27
I had the vinegar smell for a long time. Which I understand is mold. I live in houston so I run the A/C on max most of the year. I now have the band aid smell. I"m out of warranty so I'll be replacing the evap core myself I suppose :-(
Has anyone tried an aftermarket evap core?

Old 05-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Band Aid Smell in HVAC

Hello! New here. I'm having the same issue-- a Band-Aid smell from my vents. Sounds like it could be the evaporator? I did notice a lot of water dripping out of my 2013 Eco XLT a month ago. Truck and A/C seems to be fine. A/C might be just a tad warmer than I would like but otherwise run fine.

Questions:
1) is it just something where I can "cover up" the smell and live with it?
2) if it's the evaporator, is Ford planning to take care of this as a recall issue? I sure as heck am not spending 2k to fix this. I just got this used truck a few months ago

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2018, 11:27 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
It's not a safety issue so I doubt there will be a recall.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:39 PM
Freon smell coming for a/c vents

i have a 2012 ecoboost and I started smelling Freon from my a/c vents while a/c is on now it ain’t cooler at all! I was told the evap was leaking does anyone know if ford has a updated part for this or anything they will help with the repair cost?

Old 09-24-2018, 10:04 AM
I bought a "Spectra" brand from parts geek (Spectra Premium 1010204). I usually run all OEM parts, but in this case we know the OEM part is crap. If you have ford do the repair, they will replace the entire HVAC box with the Evap core already inside. The only way to go aftermarket it to split the box in half, which requires drilling out plastic spot welds. That's the route I went, not only to save money, but to get a different brand evap core. I have a lot of pictures if someone wants help trying to do this repair.

Quick Reply: 2013 F150 Odor from HVAC - Band-Aid Box smell