a/c compressor inop. 2004 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a/c compressor inop. 2004 f-150

COMPRESSOR CLUTCH NOT COMMING ON.POWER GOING THRU LOW AND HIGH PRESSURE SWITCH'S.IF I JUMP POWER TO CLUTCH A/C WORKS FINE,READ SOMEWHERE THERE IS A MODULE ON PASSENGER SIDE KICK PANEL"HELP"TRUCK HAS AUTOMATIC TEMP. CONTROL SYSTEM

Last edited by tom732; 06-21-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Pleas repair your CAPS LOCK key, it appears to be stuck on.

Check fuses F2.11, F2.14, F2.32, and the AC Clutch relay.

The fuses are in the box under the cover at the passenger side kick panel. See your owner's manual.

The relay is in the Auxiliary Relay Box #1 located under the hood on the driver's side fender.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for your response,will ck. fuses & relay today.Will let you know how I make out,Tom

Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi,checked fuses & replaced relay R202,still no power to compressor clutch.
Did not have a relay to try so purchased new relay.Went on a 30 mile trip today all highway and transmission went south,display showed transmission fault,o/d light flashing,will post on drive train cant catch a break......tom

Old 06-23-2009, 03:49 AM
If the refrigerant charge is low (due to a leak), the compressor won't come on. Possibly leaking out the seal on the front of the compressor.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 AM
With power jumped to compressor clutch & gauges hooked up ,gauge readings are normal.So i don't think its a freon issue.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Hello I also have a similar problem with my 06 navigator with EATC. I wanted to know if you ever resolved this issue.

When jumping the compressor directly it turns on without problem. I have checked the fuses. I have also performed a test on the relay following the direction from alldata. I took the truck to midas and they performed a pressure test and they checked the low and high pressure sensors. Everything was normal. I still have not had time to take it back to them for further diagnostics. When a/c is set to max 60 degrees i get no cold air just ambient temperature blowing through the vents. When I do select a/c I can here the vents switching and the warm air comes out of different vents. but the compressor will not engage. I have also tried doing a self test on the eatc and it just sits there cycling and no error codes come up I have to press any button to get out of the cycle. I brought the truck used and it never worked from day one. Anyone else have any insight into this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rahine; 05-25-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have no power to the compressor:
switch the clutch relay with another relay and check the fuses.

Jump low pressure switch see if it engages
jump high pressure switch and see if that engages the clutch
You can jump them by using a paper clip between the two wires.

With a test light see if you have a ground for the compressor. Check the wires to ensure there isnt a broken wire some place leading up to the clutch.

If you cannot find anything it will take a shop to look at the in dash unit to see if its working correctly.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:07 PM
repair

Originally Posted by rahine
Hello I also have a similar problem with my 06 navigator with EATC. I wanted to know if you ever resolved this issue.

When jumping the compressor directly it turns on without problem. I have checked the fuses. I have also performed a test on the relay following the direction from alldata. I took the truck to midas and they performed a pressure test and they checked the low and high pressure sensors. Everything was normal. I still have not had time to take it back to them for further diagnostics. When a/c is set to max 60 degrees i get no cold air just ambient temperature blowing through the vents. When I do select a/c I can here the vents switching and the warm air comes out of different vents. but the compressor will not engage. I have also tried doing a self test on the eatc and it just sits there cycling and no error codes come up I have to press any button to get out of the cycle. I brought the truck used and it never worked from day one. Anyone else have any insight into this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dissconnect battery over nite and it has worked ever since.Have read other posts with same repair and it fixed their vehicles .Its worth a try...

Old 05-31-2010, 08:55 PM
I really appreciate the replies

I will try disconnecting the battery and see if that resets something overnight thanks again. I will post my results tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Hello,
Disconnecting battery did not work. I have check fuses 5, 8, 11, 13, and 32.
I have also checked relays 203 and c1008 along with the diode. Still no luck.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Having the same issues.

Originally Posted by tom732
Hi,checked fuses & replaced relay R202,still no power to compressor clutch.
Did not have a relay to try so purchased new relay.Went on a 30 mile trip today all highway and transmission went south,display showed transmission fault,o/d light flashing,will post on drive train cant catch a break......tom
Hi.. I am having the same issues with my F-250. Have you found a solution? I would appreciate it! Dave.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm also having the same problem with my 97 f150 but mine stopped working after i did my heater core last winter but didn't know it wasn't working till summer time but started looking at it today and found nothing yet it all switches to the vents when turned on.Any help would be great thanks.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 AM
In my case

It was the dash unit. Dealer wanted almost $1000 for a new unit I actually found a used one on ebay for $40.00 and it was just plug and play no programming needed. I installed it myself.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 PM
I am wondering if my problem is my dash unit? I have the exact same symptoms (no power to clutch, everything else works fine.) But my truck uses the manual selector switch, not the electronic.

Quick Reply: a/c compressor inop. 2004 f-150