Snap/pop sound?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Snap/pop sound?

When I first switch the air control from the "off" position to "floor/panel," (and sometimes to other positions), I hear a snap/pop coming from inside the dash. Do they all do this/is it normal?

-- Jim
2001 SuperCrew King Ranch 4x4

Old 02-28-2001, 08:59 AM
jim,, i also have a super crew and mine does make those same noises. it is the vent doors opening and closing ,,which directs the air from either outside or inside and also heat vs a/c. i believe they are vacuum actuated and do clunk when operating.. for now, lets call it "normal".. i have had some problems with my a/c unit .. finally they diagnosed the problem and for now it is operating good.. it took 3 trips to the dealer .. 2 of the 3 trips i was told there is nothing wrong.. but we must remember anything is possible in ""dealership land""

Old 02-28-2001, 09:06 AM
Thanks Nick! Strange noise (none of my prior vehicles have done this), but if it's "normal" for the vehicle, that's much better than the alternative!

-- J

Old 02-28-2001, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nick G is very correct..normal...mine also do this. Not very loud, but there.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 03-07-2001, 08:25 PM
gah
Jim,
My truck has all the snap, bang, pop noises that you've described. The odd thing is, sometimes switching from fresh air to recyle produces a thump as the door closes, but other times it doesn't ... go figure. All in all, I'm not impressed with the noises. I've even noticed the thumps just driving along. I suspect that a vacuum check valve is leaking allowing a door to operate i.e. open or shut. I'll get to it eventually. You know, it's a pity really, because for the most part, my F-150 is an excellent truck.

------------------
'00 5.4L AUTO 4X4 Lariat (Black/Silver)
'02 F-350 PSD CC DRW 6SPD 4X4 Lariat (order this year)
www.hawthorn-engineering.com

Old 03-15-2001, 01:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gah:
Jim,
My truck has all the snap, bang, pop noises that you've described. The odd thing is, sometimes switching from fresh air to recyle produces a thump as the door closes, but other times it doesn't ... go figure. All in all, I'm not impressed with the noises. I've even noticed the thumps just driving along. I suspect that a vacuum check valve is leaking allowing a door to operate i.e. open or shut. I'll get to it eventually. You know, it's a pity really, because for the most part, my F-150 is an excellent truck.

</font>

Old 03-15-2001, 02:01 PM
Unhappy

I think I'm hearing the same popping you guys are however I hear it each time a few seconds after start up whether the air control switch is turned on or not. Are you sure it is the actual vent doors or is it the vacuum controller itself? Sometimes I hear it and sometimes I don't. I'm not having any problems with the A/C or anything but that popping sound bugs!

Old 03-18-2001, 03:40 PM
KMB
Please bear with me I am new to this site and unaware if this has been addressed previously. I have a 99 F150 4.6L. When I use my AC for any length of time a loud popping noise occurs when I stop at a light. I have endured this noise to the point that the next time I stopped the truck in my driveway, I got out to check. It appears that their is a lot of H20 presumably from AC draining onto the hot exhaust shield. The dealership stated that this was normal in F150's and our friends does the same. Is there a reason for this and is there a fix? Like rerouting the drain? By the way love this site.

Old 03-18-2001, 03:45 PM
normal

Old 03-18-2001, 07:00 PM
Same clicks/pops here. Thought I was losing my mind. Minor but really annoying. Dealer no help because I can't recreate on demand. My original theory was that the doors were missing a foam seal that would muffle the noise.

Old 03-19-2001, 05:20 PM
gah
Exclamation

Mark,
you've described my truck to a tee. The noises are odd and annoying. I'd feel better if I knew why we have those sounds. Of course my local dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. I still wonder if there's a connection between the noises and a vacuum check valve. I'm going to pull my dash apart soon and drive around with as much of the A/C vent system exposed as possible to isolate the problem.

------------------
'00 5.4L AUTO 4X4 Lariat (Black/Silver)
'02 F-350 PSD CC DRW 6SPD 4X4 Lariat (order this year)
www.hawthorn-engineering.com

Old 08-29-2003, 06:22 PM
popping sound on startup

Originally posted by marky mark
I think I'm hearing the same popping you guys are however I hear it each time a few seconds after start up whether the air control switch is turned on or not. Are you sure it is the actual vent doors or is it the vacuum controller itself? Sometimes I hear it and sometimes I don't. I'm not having any problems with the A/C or anything but that popping sound bugs!
My 97 f150 does the same thing,every time i start it up it makes the same popping sound,I traced the sound to the vacume air storage tank that is stuffed between the right fender and inner fender,i dont know if repacing the tank will make a difference as it is a sealed unit,has anyone else had any luck or is this just another problem to add to my door crackin,plug blowin,vacume popping pile o ****

Old 08-29-2003, 06:22 PM
popping sound on startup

Originally posted by marky mark
My 97 f150 does the same thing,every time i start it up it makes the same popping sound,I traced the sound to the vacume air storage tank that is stuffed between the right fender and inner fender,i dont know if repacing the tank will make a difference as it is a sealed unit,has anyone else had any luck or is this just another problem to add to my door crackin,plug blowin,vacume popping pile o ****

Quick Reply: Snap/pop sound?