2004 F150 no power to radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 F150 no power to radio

I recently purchased a 2004 Fx4. Having installed many head units in the past I figured I could do it on this truck. So being lazy and trying to save some money on a wiring harness I tried to splice each wire. So I had my wiring figured from my alpine IDA-x305s which was no problem and I thought I had a good idea of each wire in the ford factoy radio.

Being over confident I cut the factory connector which is where I believe something happend. I spiced in my head unit and troubleshooted each wire to try and find power which I did not. After thinking it might be my head unit I re-spliced my factory connector and now the factory radio did not work

So now onto the fuse box. I replaced fuse 7 which in the owners manual says is the radio and still nothing..... anybody have any ideas? lol this is the first time ive had issues wiring a car. Now the wiring diagram I found did not address 3 wires in the connector which I unfortunately figured out after I cut the connector.....for example ground is defined as Black/green which is 14 gauge, but there is also a 16 gauge black that is not mentioned in any wiring diagram I've found. Also a grey with black I believe and one more I cant think of at the moment.

I am also without my meter, and my volt tick wont pick up 12v but it's old and useless for anything under 120.... Thanks for any help guys.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you need a volt meter really bad.!!!!!!!! red is usually power on trucks or cars. and black is ground. so just hook up black and red and see if it will come on. thats just black for ground.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 AM
go to www.the12volt.com and search for a wire diagram. the wires that are twisted together in 2's are usually speakers...just an fyi. but next time...buy a harness!!! makes life so much easier!!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mark4091
I recently purchased a 2004 Fx4. Having installed many head units in the past I figured I could do it on this truck. So being lazy and trying to save some money on a wiring harness I tried to splice each wire. So I had my wiring figured from my alpine IDA-x305s which was no problem and I thought I had a good idea of each wire in the ford factoy radio.

Being over confident I cut the factory connector which is where I believe something happend. I spiced in my head unit and troubleshooted each wire to try and find power which I did not. After thinking it might be my head unit I re-spliced my factory connector and now the factory radio did not work

So now onto the fuse box. I replaced fuse 7 which in the owners manual says is the radio and still nothing..... anybody have any ideas? lol this is the first time ive had issues wiring a car. Now the wiring diagram I found did not address 3 wires in the connector which I unfortunately figured out after I cut the connector.....for example ground is defined as Black/green which is 14 gauge, but there is also a 16 gauge black that is not mentioned in any wiring diagram I've found. Also a grey with black I believe and one more I cant think of at the moment.

I am also without my meter, and my volt tick wont pick up 12v but it's old and useless for anything under 120.... Thanks for any help guys.
Sniffers dont pick up dc, onyl ac.

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 no power to radio