Recommend me a head unit!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here she is, I'm super stoked. I think it looks great.

One more thing guys, the wire that is hooked up to my e brake so that I can't watch movies while driving, does that wire need to be constantly powered or not powered at all. Install guy said he had to install it by law.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FX41
One more thing guys, the wire that is hooked up to my e brake so that I can't watch movies while driving, does that wire need to be constantly powered or not powered at all. Install guy said he had to install it by law.
Nice. If you want to play with the e-brake wire, get behind the radio, it should be a green wire coming out of the head unit. You can put a simple toggle switch on it, and then to ground. Flipping the switch on and off quick should tell the radio to display video. To make it more automated, look for the 'relay hack'. You wire a replay in, and you never have to worry about it.

Just don't get caught driving with the video on. Big no no.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great... I hope it fills your needs...

Old 08-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FX41
Here she is, I'm super stoked. I think it looks great.

Who installed it? $200 seems a lil steep...

Originally Posted by digitalamish
Nice. If you want to play with the e-brake wire, get behind the radio, it should be a green wire coming out of the head unit. You can put a simple toggle switch on it, and then to ground. Flipping the switch on and off quick should tell the radio to display video. To make it more automated, look for the 'relay hack'. You wire a replay in, and you never have to worry about it.

Just don't get caught driving with the video on. Big no no.
Not on the newer Avics. Your best bet to hack that screen to watch DVD is to download the software for the unit (its windows based) and change the file and then reload the software onto your AVIC. The other way involves repinning the mute wire, then attaching that to ground. The reason I recommend software is because if you remove your radio and mess with the wiring, your going to void whatever install labor warranty you had.

avic411.com is a great site for info on how to hack these badboys, and for all kinds of other information.

Quick Reply: Recommend me a head unit!