Why doesn't the factory subwoofer work???? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why doesn't the factory subwoofer work???? HELP!

I posted this question in a different forum a didn't get much information so I thought that I would try it here. I recently purchased an '08 King Ranch with the NAV radio head unit -- not an audiophile system (according to the window sticker). But I do have the rear seat entertainment system (DVD player).

Yesterday I received the factroy subwoofer thinking this would improve the sound of the system, but the subwoofer is silent, i.e. doesn't work. I've already pulled the HU to see what the config. was on the back, and sure enough there are three plug-ins and all have a harness plugged into them. By-the-way, I've already done a search on this website, and have found that head units purchased off of ebay, for example, need to be re-programmed. I figured that would only be for a HU taken out of another vehicle.

I checked the diagnostic page on the HU screen and it says subwoofer not enabled. How do I get the subwoofer enabled? Is this something the dealer does? and what does it entail? It seems wrong that I would pay $2295 for the Navigation radio and I can't even get the subwoofer to work.

Buying an aftermarket HU and subwoofer is not an option for me. I realize that an aftermarket HU and sub would more than likely sound better, but I like the looks of the OEM Nav unit. Thanks for any info you guys can provide. I'm looking forward to hearing your comments.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Well, you had one of a few select nav units without the Audiophile upgrade. Feel lucky, as these are some of the most expensive when sold. But, yes it would have to be reprogrammed and you can add an aftm sub/amp with your radio.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks.

Thanks Low e red for the reply. So it doesn't have the audiophile upgrade, if I get it reprogrammed it should work with the factory sub -- correct? How do I go about getting reprogrammed?

Old 02-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Try the Ford dealer. From what I have heard very few dealers have a clue that they can do this, so you may be faced with having to work with a few.... GL!

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the factory subwoofer work???? HELP!