Harley-Davidson

"Service engine soon light" is on!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Service engine soon light" is on!!

"Service engine soon" light is on!!! 35 miles on the truck and this happens, I hope it's nothing major?!! I've checked all the small things (loose gas cap, etc.) but all looks good and it runs/drives fine. Dealer isn't open on Saturdays so first thing Monday morning it'll be there!! Truck manual said it also could be from "bad" fuel, could the dealer have put regular instead of premium fuel in it?

Not a very happy first time HD owner,
Sean

Old 02-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Had that happen to mine after 500 miles. the light came on while passing a transport on the highway. After they downloaded the computer codes they say it showed overboost. The service engine soon light blinks when you pass a certain boost, and will stays on if you pass another threshold. They cleared the fault and it did not occur again, to date.

Old 02-02-2003, 09:56 AM
I had this happen and I believe it was a bad tank of gas. It stayed until I ran the tank down and within 30 miles of a new fill up, it turned off.

-Mark

Old 02-02-2003, 11:12 AM
the light could be on for a hundred different reasons. you won't know until they pull a code. it could be something left unplugged at the factory (an evap line or electrical connection) or who knows what. just sit tight till you can get to the dealership on monday.

later,
chris

Old 02-02-2003, 11:30 AM
If you don't wont to wait until Monday, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts will read the code for you and give you an idea of what it is? Just make sure they don't clear the code, because Ford will need that to trouble-shoot. Good Luck...

Old 02-02-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys, Autozone it is. I want to have an idea before the dealer looks at it so they don't try to pull a fast one on me.

Thanks again,
Sean

Old 02-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Code was "171" (too lean, bank 1).

Could the dealer have put regular instead of premium in it, would that cause this error code? Should I reset it and put octane boost in it and see if the code comes back and then take it to the dealer?

Thank y'all,
Sean

Old 02-02-2003, 03:58 PM
Damn PCV wasn't hooked up (not in the valve cover), maybe too much pressure pushed it out? Anyway I'm ready to roll again and hope it doesn't come out later on down the line here. Something for you guys to look for if you have the same issue.

Sean

Old 02-02-2003, 06:57 PM
just a the trucks come from the factory with a tank of regular gas since they don't have a "special" and "super" pumps also there at the plant

Old 02-02-2003, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the Harley#356. It was the PCV, a guy on the L board was having lean codes too and one post stated to check the PCV.... so that's what I did just for sh** & giggles and BEHOLD the PCV wasn't pushed into the valve cover. All is well now and after some drivin' it still looks good..... no engine light!!!

Sean

Old 02-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Harley#356
just a the trucks come from the factory with a tank of regular gas since they don't have a "special" and "super" pumps also there at the plant
I don't get it.
Why in the hell would the factory not put premium on an engine needing premium?

Old 02-03-2003, 08:10 PM
The factory only puts in a couple of gallons in the tank. Ford expects the dealer to fill up the vehicle with premium, regular or diesel before delivering the vehicle to the customers. When you received your survey from Ford there should have been a question for you to answer about the dealer giving you a full tank of gas.....

Old 02-03-2003, 08:14 PM
according to showya, who builds these trucks, its because they don't have a pump at the plant for premium fuel, since only the HD's require it, and with only 12K a year, its not enough to justify the cost of installing one there??? just what info i was given

Old 02-06-2003, 02:11 AM
UH OH!

That happened to someone else who use to come to the forums a little bit ago. We haven't heard from him since.

Just kiddin. It's probably nothing. Just a failed sensor or something like that. Good luck at the dealer. I HATE leaving my truck with them.

Quick Reply: "Service engine soon light" is on!!