Harley-Davidson

#1682 pronounced dead at 2010pm EST

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry to hear that about your brand new truck! Glad nobody was seriously hurt. But by looking at the photos and going by the price of these trucks and how new it is, I don't think its totalled. Sure there's alot of damage but the insurance company is gonna look and see if there is 20k worth of damage or not. Also, I hope you bought gap insurance, because if it is totalled, they probably won't give you what its worth/or what you may owe on it. I know this is something you reallt don't want to think about right now but I just wanted to give you a heads up. Sorry again for you and your new ride. Maybe the dealership can give you something else to drive until you get your new truck.

Old 01-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Sorry to hear about that man. That really sux but it is good to hear you and your passenger were not seriously injured.

Hope everything goes well on the repair/replacement.

Old 01-30-2003, 04:14 PM
I was just informed this morning of what GAP insurance is.... a little too late for the info, though. I didn't have it with State Farm either. Supposedly the dealer asked me about it when I signed the deal and took possession... I'm not too sure about that but it's a little too late to bicker..

In Georgia, there's a diminished value law on the books... I have a couple of options..

1) push for them to total the truck and get replacement value (~34k'ish), then buy back the truck for cheap, fix it and then sell it.

2) have them fix the truck, claim "diminished value", get the payment and then sell the cracked up one and get another..

:jb;

Old 01-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Insurance companies have a license to steal.

Best case scenario is to break even.

In the mean time you get a ford focus rental car while you continue to rack up interest charges on your HD loan until settlement.

Old 01-30-2003, 05:26 PM
Your best bet is to try and break even like hapnzap said and just buy another new truck. Maybe even the dealership will feel sorry for you and give a little better deal this time because of the circumstances(longshot but worth a try), if they total it.

Did you get a good deal on the truck? If you did for say $33k -$34k and the ins. co. gives you $34k you should be alright because you won't have to pay all that interest since you'll be paying it off in the near future. Try to squeeze every last penny out of the ins co. and pray they total it. If a rim got scratched but is barely noticable, claim that & tire if it is scuffed, EVERY detail no matter how minor may make the difference whether or not they total it. Tell them you will not take it back unless it drives as PERFECT as it did the day you bought it,etc,etc. Just let them know up front you are going to be on top of the whole thing down to the last scratch. It's not going to be your insurance co paying for it is it? If it s close and they see that you are going to be nit picky about everything, they may go ahead and total it. Just trying to help....Good luck. Man, that sure was a beautiful truck!

Old 01-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Now that's messed up! Glad to hear y'all are ok though. Just my opinion, but I would no want to keep it after they tried to fix it. I vote for option #2-

2) have them fix the truck, claim "diminished value", get the payment and then sell the cracked up one and get another...

Old 02-02-2003, 01:45 AM
I think the collision may have left you somewhat confused because I am sure that you're feeling dizzy right about now, and your shoulder, and ow, your neck...

Your insurance company should be talking to the other guy's insurance company right now, and you should have your lawyer crash their cozy (if the insurance companies happen to be one and the same - unlikely but possible) little chat. Don't forget that some idiot drove like an idiot and cut in front of you. Make him take responsibility for his stupidity.

Old 02-02-2003, 09:37 AM
I agree with chaean, if all else fails...there's always the back that can start acting up....

The other guy did have insurance right? And its not the same company as yours right?

Old 02-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Too bad about the truck but at least you both walked away! From a body and paint mans standpoint, the truck looks to be a relatively easy fix. The crank pulley taking a hit on the other hand would worry me. The impact of a three to four thousand Lb. vehicle whacking the crank could very well have bent the crank shaft and or took out the main bearings. Be sure the adjuster makes note of this potential damage in the estimate.

Good luck,

FX
'03 DSG L'

Old 02-03-2003, 12:41 AM
That sucks, but it looks to me as if there isn't enough damage to "total" it. Get out yjere with a sledgehammer.

Mike

Old 02-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Just wanted to say my 2002 was involved in an accident on Jan 18 and it sounds like the way yours happened to the "t". The woman in the other vehicle was driving a 1988 beat up Firebird that looked like it was hit about 50 times.
She was given a ticket for failure to yeild the right of way but that doesnt take care of the 5000 bucks in damage to my new truck
My truck was 1 nonth old and already it has a new left fender, new bumper, skirt, radiator support and 2 new fog lights. I am supposed to get back today.

Good Luck

Old 02-05-2003, 01:49 PM
I had a 1996 Thunderbird Sport Coupe that had far more damage than that shortly after I took ownership from the dealership. It was fixed and looked better than new within a couple weeks.

It is of my opinion that your truck is not totaled... I'd be surprised if the repair hits the 10k mark. Almost all insurance companies have little fine print that let them use (cheap) aftermarket or "salvage" parts.... so most of the non HD stuff can, and will be I am afraid, be pulled off of any F150 sitting in a junk yard.

I lucked out and knew the body manager at the dealership. He was nice enough to order OEM replacment parts for mine telling the insurance that he could not get the other parts "in reasonable time." Being a dealership they took his word and never said another thing.

Lastly, if you just bought the truck I am sure you can call your finace company and get GAP insurance should you wish to.

/tg

Quick Reply: #1682 pronounced dead at 2010pm EST