It seems to get more difficult every year to
find land to hunt on. Lately, I have been
giving serious consideration to joining a
hunting club. My problem is that I have
always hunted alone on a small family lease
and answered to no one when it came to
where or when I wanted to hunt. I'm afraid
a club would just be too restrictive or have
too many rules. (some rules are a good thing)
My question is to those of you who do belong to
a hunting club of some sort. What are your
complaints? Any advantages? What do your
dues run? Around here they are anywhere
from $350-$800 per year.

Old 11-01-2001, 01:43 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would be better off buying 5-10 acers next to some state land

Old 11-01-2001, 04:46 PM
DRC
I would defintanly join a club before I started hunting WMA land. I friend of mine got shot last year at a WMA hunt. If you can find a small club with some guys you get along with that's great. Don't just join a club that you don't know much about b/c it can be a nightmare and you won't even want to hunt.

Old 11-02-2001, 03:18 AM
well.....

I wouldn't join a club.........for that price you can hire a guide (thats what they charge around here-depending on what you want to hunt)

A minor sidenote about buying 5-10 acres next to some state land. I actually did this (except it was 26 acres) and am right in the middle of building my house there.However, I do not plan on shooting any of the deer up there for a few years though.The other locals have hunted it pretty hard for the last 10 yrs or so.(They actually used to hunt my property before I bought it----the old owner lived in another state and didn't really care who hunted it.The first hunting season after I bought it I spent most of my hunting time telling people to get off my land.Sure made some folks mad but, thats the way it goes.

Old 11-02-2001, 08:12 AM
i wouldn't recommend joining a club unless you already know some of it's members and are sure you enjoy the same style of hunting as they do. (baiting non baiting etc)also they can get quite costly.
as far as public land, that's where i hunt. it is difficult but possible. the secret is find remote areas that others may not know about, then drive in farther then they are willing to go, then get out and hike the rest of the way in. again farther then they will go.
i only started hunting public land a few years ago, used to go farther up north and hunt private. my first year was a very educational one. opening morning of deer season as the sun came up all i could see all the way around me was blaze orange. (required for deer hunting here) i pretty much low crawled out of the area, and haven't been back. since then i have had a number of hunters ask me where the he11 i'm going in those woods because they seldom find me. last year i had an entire patch of woods to myself and my son. apparently no one knew it was public. contact your dnr for a complete list, don't just go where others say you can.
finally be prepared to switch places. you can either scout many spots in advance or get good at scouting on the fly. that way if someone does get to where you are( there are those whose only goal in life is to find someone elses spot) you can move to the next spot. i find it is actually fun to keep changing spots. many people have told me they think that's more ethical hunting because i don't just sit in the same stand every year. myself i just enjoy the challenge of finding deer in a different location on a regular basis.
i will be honest i don't get as many deer as others but i know the deer i get make me feel very proud for having found them on their turf.
terry

Old 11-02-2001, 12:46 PM
We have some very good WMAs in Mississippi, but
they are a good distance from where I live. I think
the closest is 45-60 minutes away. That's just too
far to drive for me. I think I'll try to get some friends
together and find a block or two of land. Thanks for
the input guys.

Old 11-02-2001, 02:01 PM
to far away????

You have got to be kidding right?A previous poster said it all,go where no one else does.This is what I do. I drive 1 & 1/2 hours to my *spot*. Ya there are other hunters in the area but no one dares to get out and hike this rough terrain (except me and my buddy). Every time we go out to this place we see more deer than the roadhunters who drive through the area.2 weekends ago, I saw 23 does and 1 spike in my spot, all of them by 9 a.m.(pacific standard time).I *know* there is a trophy buck that is in the area(I now possess his rack from last year), it is just matter of seeing him long enough to get the shot off (I have seen him twice so far, both times at less than 50 yards, but they were just glimpses).This area I hunt is a 4 1/2 mile chunk of ground that has no roads goin through it just a road on the east and west sides.At any rate.........
Good luck on finding a closer spot that isn't hunted by anyone else......

Old 11-02-2001, 02:22 PM
forgot to mention that the closest place i goto from my house is 70 mi. but it's worth it.

Old 11-02-2001, 05:47 PM
Cool

trapper,

I agree with lightningcrashz, if you want to pay for premium access, just hire a guide. Then your not locked into any area or even any one state.

It might cost more than a hunting club, but I think your results will be much better.

You also might search this site for some pros and cons on hunting clubs. http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/ I think the subject has been beaten' to death there, at least in regards to some California clubs.

Good Hunting,

Old 11-02-2001, 06:10 PM
At any other time in my life, yeah I wouldn't
mind the drive. But for right now, I have
a new baby at home. There is no way in heck
I can stay up half the night and then get up the
next morning and drive that far. I will just have
to find somewhere closer. Wildchild, are saying
you drive 70 miles to hunt on public land? You
go partner! I guess I'm just spoiled. I've never
had to drive more than 10-15 minutes. I guess
I didn't realize how well I had it made.
Thanks for the site Bob.

Old 11-03-2001, 01:50 PM
me toooo

I do have public land not more than 20 minutes away but, it is way overhunted and I don't mind a drive (if I am not to tired-last weekend I had to pull over and take a nap on th eway home)I have a 3 yr old little girl so I know all about the lack of sleep thing.

Quick Reply: A question for you hunters.