Thoughts on new vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I too love the way the Wrangler (and the old CJs) look. One look at the JD Power Quality rankings for that specific model as well as the overall Jeep line was enough to change my mind though.
I honestly never look at JD Power but I have seen many Jeep guys complaining about them and their hate for the Wrangler. Before I bought ours I found a well used Wrangler forum and looked to see what issues they were having. I found no more than any other vehicle out there. The 3.6 Pentastar is in many FCA products and seems to be a pretty reliable motor. Our 2013 Jeep Wrangler has been good to date. One recall for the heated mirrors and that is it in 32,000 miles.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
As mentioned you can get Taurus SHO. You can also get 3.5 EB in the Flex/Explorer and Lincoln MKT

Mustang GT is worth a drive, they're loads of fun. I'd probably recommend the auto over the M6 just because the M6 is a little weak for the power of the 5.0

Not sure what price range is, or how "sporty" you're looking for, but Jeep still makes SRT Grand Cherokee

Jeep Wrangler is a solid option with the Pentastar V6. Not a racecar, but it's definitely not underpowered.

Not sure when they stopped making them, or if youre lookkng at used at all, but i've always liked the Trailblazer SS variant
I do like both the SRT GC and the SS TB. Not a big fan of the TB from an interior perspective, and they have been out of production for a while now, thinking its off the table. The GC is nice but more pricy than the Explorer, even if bought used. Its not off the table, would just have to find one at the right deal. I did watch a vid
of a tuned explorer vs a stock srt8 gc and they run pretty much dead ahead. For the price of a used GC I could buy a new Explorer and do some tuning and still be ahead.

Obviously with some upgrades to the GC it would outperform the explorer, but I am not trying to have the fastest ride out there, just something fun to drive and practical. Any of the vehicles mentioned would be a rocket compared to my F150.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Here is a dyno chart of the 2016 explorer sport with a Livernois tune. This is to the wheels not the flywheel.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
There's a 600Awhp Flex on youtube.

Had another thought about a possible vehicle GM line up too. Colorado with a 5.3 V8. (Same chassis as a Hummer H3 Alpha, which also could be a more sporty fun DD)

Old 04-07-2016, 04:22 PM
IMO, the GC SRT or a Focus RS would be fun. I am saving pennies for a Tesla, but will probably get a Focus RS as a DD once they are available used.

The newer Wranglers are cool, but not for me as a DD.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Daily driver is a 2009 Toyota Camry XLE V6 268 HP , it not a bad daily driver.
In the summer my daily driver is a 2015 Harley Davidson Limited, it's not a bad daily driver either.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The early focus' had the bad trans so stay away from used 12's and 13's. You can also get a 5 speed manual in the focus. If you want a little sportier, try the focus ST, it has the 2.0 EB at 252 hp with a 6 speed manual. You can get them new for under 30K. I was looking for info on when you can order a 17 focus and found out 2017 is going to be the last year for this body style, the 2018's will be an all new car. So if you like the current body, you've got about a year and a half to get a new one.

At one time I had 3 newer style focus's sitting in my driveway, my wife had a 12, my older daughter had a 12, and my younger daughter has a 13. All 3 had the DCT auto trans. If you drive them like a manual then they are fine, but if you drive like a little old lady driving her 72 dart with a slant six to church, then they will lurch and slip like a manual car with someone driving it who doesn't know how to drive a manual, because that is basically what it is and that is exactly what is happening.

The DCT is still a six speed auto, with planetary gears like any other auto. The difference is instead of a torque converter, it has a dual clutch setup driving the twin input shafts and it's computer controlled with no clutch pedal. That's why you need to drive it like a manual.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 04-11-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:23 AM
^^^^Good to know^^^
Although with the RS, I think you can only go manual. For the driving I do, it has to be AWD and that is the only thing that kept me from picking up a ST to scoot to work and back. Besides, it would be fun to get back into Autocross and slide that RS around!

MDHAWKIN, Are you thinking more SUV for space?

Old 04-12-2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Blown F-150
^^^^Good to know^^^
Although with the RS, I think you can only go manual.
Correct, same with the ST. The regular focus comes with the DCT or 5 speed.

If you want AWD, look at a fusion titanium with AWD or an escape with AWD. The both have the same 2.0 EB as the focus ST, just lower hp (231 on 87 octane, 240 on 91 octane) and have a real auto trans the 6F35. They both have practically the same electronics as the focus, just a bigger body. You can get either one loaded with AWD for under 40 sticker.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:02 AM
All good info on the Focus and I am sure it would be a fun car to drive. Not trying to take away from the conversation and the good flow of information, but in reference to my OP I am not really interested in a car.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by mdhawkin
but in reference to my OP I am not really interested in a car.
Look at an Escape, you can get a basic SE with the 2.0 EB for under 30K. Unless your larger than me, you will fit fine. My wife had a 13 and I'm 6'3" and over 300 lbs and I fit fine.

BTW if you drive it easy you can get 30+mpg highway. Also if you don't like the wheels that come on it, any factory wheel from the 12+ focus, and 13+ fusion, MKZ, escape and the new MKC will fit. There are over a dozen different wheel designs ranging from 16" to 19" and I think they have 20's available on the MKC

Old 04-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Chrysler 300C. Very comfortable for 4 adults. Hemi engine will make you smile every time you drive it!

Old 04-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
All good info on the Focus and I am sure it would be a fun car to drive. Not trying to take away from the conversation and the good flow of information, but in reference to my OP I am not really interested in a car.
Do you know if you want a small SUV, mid-size or large?

I just about pulled the trigger on a 2015 Edge Sport last month to upgrade our 2011. It was really quick with the 2.7 eco. Tunes are available to get more out of it too. The wife sat in a 2016 F150 and really liked the new SYNC, so we will wait a year when the incentives come out for the 2016 Edge's and I can grab one off the lot.

The Edge is nice, more room than the Escape, but not as big as the Explorer. We have had it for about 4 years now and other than being slow, it's needed nothing.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
Do you know if you want a small SUV, mid-size or large?

I just about pulled the trigger on a 2015 Edge Sport last month to upgrade our 2011. It was really quick with the 2.7 eco. Tunes are available to get more out of it too. The wife sat in a 2016 F150 and really liked the new SYNC, so we will wait a year when the incentives come out for the 2016 Edge's and I can grab one off the lot.

The Edge is nice, more room than the Escape, but not as big as the Explorer. We have had it for about 4 years now and other than being slow, it's needed nothing.
I am thinking more mid to large. My wife also has an edge with the 3.5 NA motor, its been a great car so far. I think I may still be leaning towards the explorer sport for a blend of room and performance. I do like the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, but their price point is a bit high and I cant seem to find many used ones. The used ones I have found so far are still more than a brand new explorer sport.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Our next one would be an explorer sport, but then I would have to get rid of my tool box in the garage. That isn`t going to happen!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on new vehicle