Hi-Point Firearms.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi-Point Firearms.

Ok here is the deal, Im looking for a cheap Handgun. I have several nice ones but hate to carry them in the truck when going out of town. I had a S&W stolen out of the KR years ago by a Sams Club Employee when they were fixing a flat.

I am looking at a .40 or .45 Hi-Point.. They are around 160 bucks. The thing is alot of people talk crap about them, BUT it seems like they don't own one and are just haters. Ive searched youtube and it seems like the people that actually owns one says its a good handgun for what it is.

Does anyone here have one or any experience with one?

Old 12-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I won't own a Hi Point but then I won't let a Glock on the property. For a budget pistol, a Hi Point is as good as any of them. Generally they are reliable with factory ammo, they are a blow back design. If you handload you'll have to stay with factory specs or expect issues like stove pipping, fail to feed, etc. They tend to be a little heavier than most others which can he a good thing with a 45 ACP. You cannot limp wrist one or it won't run right, so be aware. That's probably the biggest reason most say they are crap guns. For a truck gun or a budget pistol that doesn't matter as long as it works, the Hi Point is good enough. Retail on a 40 is $199.00 and a 45 at $220.00 per Hi Point. At $160.00, I'd suggest buying it. Assuming use as a SD weapon, look for Remington Golden Sabre ammo. Highly accurate and extremely deadly even on denim jackets unless you still have some old Black Talons. Either one is tops in dropping a threat.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
I won't own a Hi Point but then I won't let a Glock on the property. For a budget pistol, a Hi Point is as good as any of them. Generally they are reliable with factory ammo, they are a blow back design. If you handload you'll have to stay with factory specs or expect issues like stove pipping, fail to feed, etc. They tend to be a little heavier than most others which can he a good thing with a 45 ACP. You cannot limp wrist one or it won't run right, so be aware. That's probably the biggest reason most say they are crap guns. For a truck gun or a budget pistol that doesn't matter as long as it works, the Hi Point is good enough. Retail on a 40 is $199.00 and a 45 at $220.00 per Hi Point. At $160.00, I'd suggest buying it. Assuming use as a SD weapon, look for Remington Golden Sabre ammo. Highly accurate and extremely deadly even on denim jackets unless you still have some old Black Talons. Either one is tops in dropping a threat.
Thanks, Ive spent the last few hours finding out all i can on reviews etc. I think im going to go for it. Hi-Point offer a LIFETIME warranty on the product. That seems like a pretty good deal also.

Budsgunshop.com seems to be a pretty good place to buy firearms at. I found the Hi-Point .45 with the holster for 179.00 with free shipping to a ffl dealer.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/91064

Old 12-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you honestly going to trust your life to a $160 dollar pistol? I've shot them and they're great for a cheap plinker but other than that I wasn't impressed but I carry a Glock 17 or 1911. I would rather see you spend the $160 on a good solid, securely mounted lock box for your truck instead of a cheap throw away pistol.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I would not buy a pistol that doesn't have a mechanical ejector.

Or let me correct that to say I would not buy another one!

Last edited by Roadie; 12-26-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
... but then I won't let a Glock on the property.
I don't have one (a Glock), but I'm dying to know what this is about?

Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 PM
I backed out of it.. Decided to pick up a S&W 9mm at academy yesterday..

I may still buy a hi point just to screw around with later on

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 12-28-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I don't have one (a Glock), but I'm dying to know what this is about?
I am as well since I've put almost 10,000 rounds through mine with zero problems. The only problems I've had were with a batch of my reloads and that falls 100% me. Heck I didn't clean it until I put 5,000 rounds through it.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 AM
I cant' speak for anyone else. But, statistics show that there are more accidental firings of Glocks than any other brand of handgun. A light trigger pull and that light trigger pull is the only thing you need to do to fire it. Get too excited when you pull it and you shoot yourself in the leg.
I prefer a D/S action with a visible hammer.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dsq3973
I am as well since I've put almost 10,000 rounds through mine with zero problems. The only problems I've had were with a batch of my reloads and that falls 100% me. Heck I didn't clean it until I put 5,000 rounds through it.

Add me to that list! I bought a G-17 the first year that they came out and I've been carrying it for almost 30 years now and never had any problem with it. Personally I love the fact that the polymer frame will never rust, even when carried inside of sweaty clothes or left over night in my car and exposed to Florida's constant high humidity and dampness. EVERYTHING that I've ever tried has feed and fired in my Glock, including SWC and lead bullets, and reloads and even the .380s that my niece used by accident. I have several .45s, two .357s, two Walthers, a P-08, a P-38 and a bunch of other pistols but my Glock is the one that I trust the most and the one that I carry.

BTW Roadie, Glocks do NOT have a light trigger! In fact they have heavier than normal trigger pull and many people install aftermarket springs to lighten the trigger pull to what they consider an acceptable level. The fact is that many people are blaming "light triggers" when in fact the real problem is that many people can't keep their bugger hooks off of the trigger! Of course, you're free to chose any gun or or type action that you want but don't blame the user problems on Glock!

Sorry OP, no experience with Hi Point. IMO there are probably better guns out there but if it's all you can afford then it's certainly a better choice than an expensive gun that you can't afford. Personally, I've shot some $79 Jennings and they were surprisingly reliable! OTOH I've shot $500 guns that jam at least every 3rd shot!

Old 12-28-2014, 01:24 PM
The only one I've ever fired is a Glock 23 40cal I believe and it did have a sweet trigger pull. I was able to drill the target with it. Whether it was modified, I do not know.

But the statistics tell the tale. Google it and you can find numerous hits about accidental firings of Glocks. Are the misfirings the fault of the trigger puller and not the handgun. Yes, but the facts are the facts and Glocks are the most accidentally fired handguns. That is one reason they were not considered for the main military handgun.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by joe51

BTW Roadie, Glocks do NOT have a light trigger! In fact they have heavier than normal trigger pull and many people install aftermarket springs to lighten the trigger pull to what they consider an acceptable level. The fact is that many people are blaming "light triggers" when in fact the real problem is that many people can't keep their bugger hooks off of the trigger! Of course, you're free to chose any gun or or type action that you want but don't blame the user problems on Glock!
The S&W .40 i had that got stolen had a 12lb trigger pull, It took some getting use to but i liked it.. The new one i just purchased is a 8lb trigger pull and seems just about perfect.

I just shot 50 round with this S&W 9mm and i really like it..

Old 12-28-2014, 11:23 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
and i really like it..
One of the most important parts of shooting any gun is being comfy with it. You'll shoot a lot better than shooting a brick you don't like.

About the Glock. When you come to the ranch with a gun, the first stop you'll make is behind the barn where the range is at. Pistols at 25 yds, rifles at 100 or out to 500 if you like. We have competition out there a few times a year so it's setup pretty dandy. Neighbor is out out to 1 mile with his range and we shoot there some too. Most Glocks won't stay on a 12"x12 " target. If the pistol won't group 1 1/2" at 25 yds, you get to put it in the gun house until you leave or you get to leave with it. I have many, you won't be walking around unarmed and with a POS pistol. The last Glock out there was a 40 and the guy decided to rip a clip. The gun ended up going full auto as the sear broke and then it blew up in his hand due to the unsupported chamber BS. He had a few minor cuts but was alright otherwise. Now it's ranch rules, no crap pistols on the place and that includes a Glock. Yeah, they are reliable and I recognize that but otherwise they are an accident waiting to happen. My ranch, my liability, my rules. The rules also includes any rifle that uses pistol cases does not leave the range. You won't hunt with a 357 carbine rifle or any other pistol case rifle. If I have to get my brothers dogs over there to run down a wounded animal, you don't come back and he charges 500 bucks just to show up plus by the hour. Everybody that shows up already knows it and it's a pretty common thing around the ranches. Makes everybody on their best behavior and not shoot at anything that moves. Know your target and place the bullet or go home. I also don't allow any reloaded ammo that came from a progressive press. Far too many squib loads and then a BOOM with somebody now hurt. I've even had extremely experienced guys have a BOOM, one was a very fine old gentleman with a 450 Marlin that he just got. The first shot and the rifle went in a million pieces with the old man slumped over and bleeding like a stuck hog. Apparently he mixed up bullseye powder with 4064 and the pressure was extreme. He lost one eye and 3 fingers. When it comes to guns, I'm all about it being 100% right or it needs to get off of my place. Far too often it's too late to say "I'm sorry".

Old 12-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Excellent rant and excellent rules Labnerd. The end of the gun with the hole in it isn't always the dangerous end!

Old 12-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
The only one I've ever fired is a Glock 23 40cal I believe and it did have a sweet trigger pull. I was able to drill the target with it. Whether it was modified, I do not know.

But the statistics tell the tale. Google it and you can find numerous hits about accidental firings of Glocks. Are the misfirings the fault of the trigger puller and not the handgun. Yes, but the facts are the facts and Glocks are the most accidentally fired handguns. That is one reason they were not considered for the main military handgun.

The reason that Glocks were not considered for the US Military hand gun is that Gaston Glock never applied! One of the requirements under that contract is that the manufacturer had to divulge ALL manufacturing processes and materials and Glock considered his methods proprietary would not do that. I was aerospace engineer and assembled several of those Engineering Data Packages so I can most assuredly tell you that they leave no secrets untold!

As far as statistics, I learned long ago that "figures lie and liars figure"! And not to believe "statisics" unless I knew the source AND what question they asked! The claimed higher accident rate of the Glock probably has a lot more to do with it's popularity than anything to do with it's design.

Quick Reply: Hi-Point Firearms.