Investing

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a believer in investing in precious metals and land. Just wish I made enough money to have both. LOL

Old 05-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i just hope anyone investing in metals realizes the risk.

http://www.macrotrends.net/1333/gold...storical-chart

stock market.

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/hi.../djia1900.html

Last edited by BROTHERDAVE; 05-16-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:20 PM
Hey I'm certainly no clairvoyant, nor am I any kind of economist- even of the wannabe flavor. Shoot, I'm not even that great with my own money, but I do work in the business, more the sales end and only in large corporate markets, so I see a few things. That said- we are living in the worst economy in history, in my opinion. It is simply papered over every-which way to Sunday and overstated here, understated there, manipulation is un-chartable, liabilities are in the quadrillions....the only thing we have hanging by a sheer thread is confidence. I have confidence that the $100 in my pocket buys X in goods/services.

IOW, it's all a grand sham that when the first cracks appear in the dike- you better run and run hard and be ready to just survive. Sorry for the doom, but it's real and it's teetering. To ignore it is to one's own peril.

What to do? Shoot- all I can figure is to enjoy this last stretch of ride. I'm no prepper- I find it frankly futile and foolish in the extreme. Making reasonable preparation is always wise. My faith is elsewhere and my skills were acquired from one of the great men in recent history, my dear old dad. This guy can survive.

But...let each man be resolved within himself. I could be dead wrong or spot on, or anything in between. I've always had the ability to see things spatially...but am careful to not lean too heavily on my own understanding.

Best to all.

Last edited by Simply67X; 05-16-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
i just hope anyone investing in metals realizes the risk.
Besides the price fluctuations, another risk in owning physical gold or silver is that the President could sign an Executive Order and make you a criminal if you fail to sell yours to the government at their fixed price.

That price was less than $21 an ounce when FDR did it in 1933. You had 28 days to sell them your gold, or become a criminal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102
The courts upheld the President, BTW.

Impossible to prepare for all the possibilities, but any investor should be aware that strange things happen when times become desperate.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Simply67X - I share many of your concerns.

Basically, by cooking the books about what we don't include with the CPI (energy and food NOT included), we are hiding that the economy is suffering from 'stagflation'. No growth and rising prices = lowered standard of living. A false sense of security because the DOW is so high is just delaying the inevitable.

Historically, your best investment bets during stagflation (which can get very serious, btw) are energy, utilities, and food companies. That is, if you have any money left to invest after you buy your gas, pay your utilities and feed your family.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:13 PM
...and don't save the good stuff! Enjoy it now!

Old 05-16-2014, 10:03 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I wish I could go back to 2008/2009 and buy up a bunch of Ford stock for cheap
Alex, if you think that you may ever buy a new Ford, I'd buy 100 shares of Ford stock and sit on it. That will get you X-plan. It's running about 15 bucks a share right now.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1930' 40' - great depression, ww2
1950' korean war, start of cold war
1960' vietnam - president killed - nuclear war
1970s - energy crisis, at the end the oil bust - iran
1980's more cold war at the end its over.
1990 iraq -in the beginning not much after that which is why prices for gold were low.
2000 - 911 - more iraq - obama
2010's - obama care, government spending

brother there is always a reason. each threat was real and possible world changing. you can look and see that there are times that were horrible to buy gold and times when you made a killing.

if you purchase gold as a true investment, then when times are bad you sale.

problem is that if you purchase gold because you are scared, then your money is tied up and you will never sale at the peak of the price, because you might need it.

not that hard to figure out, peaks with jimmy carter and obama, makes you wonder why those were the peaks, public was scared or where the haters jump firing it up and making other scared.

Quick Reply: Investing