UPS stole my supercharger !

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPS stole my supercharger !

I bought a supercharger and it was shipped with UPS. After only 1 day the UPS tracking system posted that the shipment was damaged and it has been partially discarded! It stated the remains would be shipped back to the shipper. When the shipper checked at the local UPS store they said EVERYTHING had been discarded.
Also they say because we had insurance, a check will be sent in one week or so.
WTF????? Does this happen?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes -- damage in transit happens from time-to-time when you handle as many packages as UPS, which is why they offer insurance. Hopefully your shipper popped for the full coverage value instead of just taking the $100.00 standard insurance that is offered with all UPS shipments.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bummer! How much was it?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks! Hope you get it worked out without too much hassle.

I bought a supercharger years ago. I did get it but UPS delivered it to the wrong address. They delivered it to a place I had lived at years earlier. A place where there was a drunk living on the property who was always tinkering with vehicles. When I found out where it had been delivered I rushed over there expecting the drunk guy to have tried to install the thing on one of his lawn tractors or something.

It was in the box, on the steps of my old place.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I had an entire box of lugnuts (20 count) get delivered empty through USPS. Ebay seller refunded my money.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I worked as an unloaded back in the mid 80s and yes packages can get damaged.

The loose stuff on the floor of the drop bottoms you had to get a supervisor to check before cleaning up. Where that went after that, got me.

Packages can come untapped ( if the shipper uses crap packing tape ) and if something is missing out of the box, the load unload guys cannot tell.
5 rounds of tape to re close the box and send it on it's way.

I find it shocking that an entire S/c was scrapped instead of being put back into the box and returned.
Either way they did not steal it, it was damaged and they are paying for the ins.

This is a good lesson for others, don't assume the base insurance is good enough, and verify what you are shipping the carrier will insure.
- I don't know if it still is the case, but UPS used to not insure jewelery or guns, those are USPS items. I do not recall what FedEX or DHL do, but best to check. You can insure a package for a given amount, but if it is lost / damaged the cartage documents ( that box you tick that says you read and agree to the terms ) will say if it gets paid out or not.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I make sure I have enough insurance on any package but it irks me that I have to. To me I am paying you for a service (to deliver my package). Why should I have to pay you more in case you destroy it? The expectation is that it should get there without being damaged and it isn't any fault of mine that your employee drove over it with a fork lift but the extra cost falls on me anyway.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm sure you've seen videos on the news showing the I don't give a #### delivery drivers

ain't nothing new, 30 years ago while working for a radiator manufacturer we watched as the ups driver loaded about 20 new rads in boxes ... by actually throwing them into the back of the truck

he was a regular driver picking up at this shop - but we never saw him again after the boss called to complain

but then there guys like the one who delivered my lowering kit - not a light box and this guy carried it 100 feet from the truck to the door and right into the house in one heave
- he's the type who deserves a tip for sure

Old 05-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
UPS...United Parcel Smasher's!

Old 05-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Ebay seller here with over a thousand sales and I also do repairs on specialized HP equipment and I've shipped literally THOUSANDS of items! I'm not going to go into my stories about UPS shipping or I'd be here all day! Suffice to say that, UPS shipping sucks. Plain and simple! If you VALUE anything then ship it by someone other than UPS!

UPS Insurance isn't worth the paper that it's written on! UPS wiil ALWAYS try to shift the blame to the shipper!

UPS can go **** themselves!

Old 05-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a videogame for my sisters Nintendo gaming system a couple years back, consisted of a game and the dancemat deal. UPS never delivered it, I called to inquire and the shipper eventually made a claim and received a new game on UPS dime. As for me any package shipped to that address by UPS has to be signed for to confirm. Glad we moved now, and I try my best to have stuff shipped USPS or FedEx.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
x2 on FedEx. I know not one single company is best or better than the rest, but I always feel better using Fed Ex shipment services.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
FedEx has been great for me. They never try to nickel and dime me to death like UPS does and their local shipping office never hassles me. With UPS's store and their local office it was NON-STOP hassles! And the ONE time that FedEx damaged one of my packages, they notified me and paid for it immediately. EVERY UPS claim has been an up hill fight to get paid even when the damage was obviously their fault, like the time that they ran a fork-lift prong THROUGH one of my packages!

UPS used to be good until they had that big strike about 20 years ago, then suddenly it was like the inmates were running the asylum!

Old 05-12-2014, 12:29 PM

This is funny, cause UPS has always been better and quicker for me. USPS was 3 or 4 days behind on a package for me, then lost it, then "found" it a few days later. I opt for UPS any time it's an option and HATE when USPS is the only option. I can't recall ever using FedEx though, but it sounds like they're better.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here. I have a business account with UPS. We use them everyday and they're usually pretty good. I think it depends on the driver too. We've gotten to know ours and he's a cool guy. FedEx is pretty awful though.

I haven't had much experience with USPS.

Quick Reply: UPS stole my supercharger !